Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kkaden

Chocolate Doom - New Improved Formula

Graf Zahl said:

One thing about Win9x users that truly puzzles me is that they stubbornly refuse to use anything even remotely current but then expect that modern Windows software still runs on such a crippled system (meaning that a significant portion of the Windows API was not implemented on it.)

So much fucking this. Everyone I know that fervently insists on using Windows 9x are also the most vocally upset people about their OS not being supported, in comparison to mac people, linux people, and etc. Also, most of them are running 9x despite the fact that they have hardware capable of running at least Windows 2000 comfortably. They just prefer, for completely inexplicable reasons, to use an OS thats severely outdated and not exactly good to start with. And then they complain. It's pretty inexcusable. If your primary computer can run an NT 5.x based operating system, then you should be doing so over using 9x. If you don't have hardware that powerful (not likely) check out linux or something else that wont be nearly as useless. If you don't think either of those is the best option for you, then play the cards you have, and don't complain if they suck, because you can be dealt a different hand if you want it.

Xtife said:

See, if Chocolate Doom can do 32bit color then why is ZDoom still dragging it's ass? You just got outdone by a port that is aiming for a more vanilla feel.

ZDoom is most certainly not "dragging its ass". Even if it was a truecolor renderer, do you know how much more simple it is to put truecolor in a vanilla port than it is to put one in ZDoom? Making a 32bit renderer yourself in Chocolate-Doom is pretty simple. Hell, I've done it before. ZDoom has to worry about Boom Colormaps, all kinds of PNG files, etc. that makes adding such a feature almost impossible.

Ralphis: Many of UDMX's midis don't even work properly outside of OPL mode (at least on my machine). The beach level's music, for example, is completely silent. The drums on MAP30 will fade in and out of existence. MAP12's music in particular will slow the game down to a crawl of around 1 fps.

Anyway, I'm glad that the SDL_mixer lockup is fixed now.

Graf Zahl said:

Well, it's still an old OS so one may be restricted to old software.

Don't forget that modern Windows C compilers need some extra help to even be persuaded to compile a Win9x compatible EXE.

Anyway, there are some people who are pissed (on modern computers) that their old games/applications don't work. Honestly, if you want to run Win95 applications, on a Win95. Do yourself favor and create a virtual machine using available apps like VirtualPC, VMWare Player, Virtualbox etc.

For example there's no way I would have taken my programming classes (it's kinda funny that we're ending pascal now AND we started it in September) because for some goddamn reason Free Pascal is a bitch. As in pops out fatal compilation errors without a known reason (using 32-bit version). Even more stupid, all the exercises we had, were created with Turbo Pascal 7 in mind which is so outdated you would'nt believe it. And since TP7 is a 16-bit app, no way it would work on my 64-bit Win 7. So I just cheated it out and used Dosbox for that and whenever i'm doing my network classes work at home, i'm using a WinXP virtual machine to toy around with the network settings INSIDE the XP.

So basically, if you have a good computer (by modern standards) and YOU MOAN that your old OS isn't supported. WHY NOT move onto a newer OS and toy around with virtual machines? They're replacement for outdated OSes on modern hardware which isn't supposed is said old systems. I mean making a virtual machine IS one of simplest things ever ; )

@alterworldruler:
Can you tell me then which VM would run plain old DOS flawlessly?
I mean, with EMM386 or, even better, QEMM? VirtualBox wont.

Yeah, i could just use dosbox and shut up, but there are still a lot games out there that wont run flawlessly under dosbox.

My solution was shitting on all that VM crap and build myself a real DOS machine. (Ok, i cheated, its Win98 with BootGUI=0 ;) )

Bastet Furry said:

@alterworldruler:

Yeah, i could just use dosbox and shut up, but there are still a lot games out there that wont run flawlessly under dosbox.

My solution was shitting on all that VM crap and build myself a real DOS machine. (Ok, i cheated, its Win98 with BootGUI=0 ;) )

You gotta use the VMware player for DOS 6.22. To answer your question, yes the EMM386 (Not sure about the classy QEMM386, heard it causes problems for vmware player) is supported in there. I did it myself.

Also check this thread: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=19421. Sorry for the offtopic guys :)

Bastet Furry said:

@alterworldruler:

VMWare whatever. The VirtualBox dev team will fully admit that 16-bit OS's simply aren't well supported in their software, because said OS's terribly out of date, and specific to running DOS or Win 3.x, they point out that DOSBox does it way better than they could ever hope. VMWare on the other hand has been around for so long support for DOS and 9x versions of windows has just always been part of the equation.

John Smith said:

VMWare whatever. The VirtualBox dev team will fully admit that 16-bit OS's simply aren't well supported in their software, because said OS's terribly out of date, and specific to running DOS or Win 3.x, they point out that DOSBox does it way better than they could ever hope. VMWare on the other hand has been around for so long support for DOS and 9x versions of windows has just always been part of the equation.

DosBox is not so great at running 9x. It cannot run it at all without resorting to disk images, and even then it's considered totally unsupported so, Your Mileage May Vary.

John Smith said:

DOSBox does it way better than they could ever hope.

How do I patch Hexen to v1.1? DOSBox doesn't set correct modification times, and patch complains that it's not the correct version.

If you're running Linux - setting the timestamps of your v1.0 files to more appropriate dates should fix that. Try 15-Oct-95 3:20pm for hexen.exe, 14-Oct-95 2:37pm for setup.exe and 13-Oct-95 4:00pm for the rest, then cross your fingers and re-run the patch.

GreyGhost said:

If you're running Linux - setting the timestamps of your v1.0 files to more appropriate dates should fix that. Try 15-Oct-95 3:20pm for hexen.exe, 14-Oct-95 2:37pm for setup.exe and 13-Oct-95 4:00pm for the rest, then cross your fingers and re-run the patch.

Well, I read as much on DosBox forum. In the end, I just created a new folder and ran v1.0 installer and v1.1 patch from there "natively" (outside DOSBox).

aleksej said:

Very sad.
Chocolate Doom was the last hope for Windows 9x users who uses Doom source ports but last releases (startet with 1.3.0) continue to break the compatibility with these OS'es without any technical reason. And seems that all this time no one give any responses about that to author. Now it's time to migrate to DOSBox for me.

What problems do you have with Chocolate-Doom? It Works fine with me On Win95B and WinNT3.51 (very early Win32 implementation).
Did you try GDI mode? Is your computer realy powerfull enough to play via DOSBox? Fraggle did, I think a very good job for Chocolate-Doom, and, I think he is very likely to fix any remaining Win9x problems in a short or long futur.

I would like to add that Vanilla DOOM will not always magically work on Win9x. It depends on your hardware and drivers. Even if I found drivers for AC'97 emulating SoundBlaster, you will usualy need a SoundBlaster compatible card to play with sounds. You can of course use PC-speaker on Both Win9x and WinNT3.x+.
With Chocolate-Doom, you simply need to have drivers for your card, making this port very usefull even for 9x users. And do not forget network compatibility, to play with 32/64bit UNIXes, NT-OSes and Haiku PCs on LAN with your family.

Right now the 8bit mode in Chocolate Doom doesn't take kindly to palette swapping, meaning the display will stutter when taking damage or picking up items, but since 32bit mode looks exactly the same and actually works correctly, I'm less worried about this.

OPL in Chocolate Doom does have it's issues as well, but it keeps getting better, even though I still hope one day Fraggle will get himself a CMI8738 and pull the OPL passthrough thingy. It sounds fantastic compared to all of the emulated alternatives I've tried.