Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

[RELEASED] Heretic Beta Testers Needed

As promised in the Doom Pictures Thread, I have a Heretic level that's is -- after 8 years and countless restarts -- FINALLY ready to be released. So, I'm looking for two or three folks to play through a few times as a sanity check. I think it is balanced pretty well, though Heretic often seems rather fickle -- sometimes I barely limp to the exit, while other times I rip through almost totally unscathed.

Anyway, shoot me an e-mail if you are interested (put "Doom" or "Heretic" in the subject line, and please respond to this post if you think your e-mail ended up in Spam Hell).

Opening Scene: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072346.png
Cave Scene: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072601.png
Cliffside Waterfalls: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072657.png
Harbor Area: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072907.png
Cavern Battle: http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x404/chris_lutz/Screenshot_Heretic_20101229_072921.png

EDIT:
Level is now in /newstuff
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/newstuff/ice-lutz.zip

Not sure what email address you want me to send to, but I think I could definitely give this a few goes. I've always been a huge fan of your work and this looks like nothing less than what I've come to expect from you!

Yeah, Heretic got a lot of random drops wich really can make balancing a map a bit difficult.

Anyway, email sent.

EDIT: As for the name. Most of the Heretic maps are named something like "The glacier" and "The aquifer", there's actually only two maps in the first release of Heretic that wasn't in their names prefixed by "the" (E1M8 and E3M8). The two subsequent episodes did away with this though. But they still retained names that could just as well have the "the" prefix.

Something to consider in the naming of your level.

kristus said:

Yeah, Heretic got a lot of random drops wich really can make balancing a map a bit difficult.

Anyway, email sent.

And yet they are one of the things that, IMO, makes the game really fun ;) Sometimes those drops totally change your outlook and intended strategies, which keeps levels fresh long after you'd normally be bored with them completely and play them on total auto-pilot mode.

Tome drops from Disciples are probably the most game-affecting one, though the occasional Morph Ovum from an Iron Lich can be great too. And then you have Maulotaurs, who may or may NOT drop a Mystic Urn. Hard to beat an effective extra life ;)

Yeah. That's why I never use the ovum on the disciples. I can't risk losing that potential tome. :D

kristus said:

EDIT: As for the name. Most of the Heretic maps are named something like "The glacier" and "The aquifer", there's actually only two maps in the first release of Heretic that wasn't in their names prefixed by "the" (E1M8 and E3M8). The two subsequent episodes did away with this though. But they still retained names that could just as well have the "the" prefix.

That's a good point. I originally started with "The Ice Caves" since that is exactly what the level contains -- ice and caves. However, that's a pretty dull name, and it isn't particularly historical, either.

EDIT: Kristus, MegaDoomer, Ralphis -- I just sent you the first version of the level; check your various inboxes.

Awesome Lutz... this looks great :) Unfortunately I do not have the time to betatest but I am looking forward to the final release :)

Kristus, MegaDoomer, Ralphis -- I just sent you the release #2, which has some alignment fixes and some changes suggested by MegaDoomer.

Lutz said:

some alignment fixes

The last shot really suffered from bad alignment. Otherwise the shots look pretty cool. Nice use of the grate texture with the hanging corpses in the "harbor area".

Looking good, Chris. Although I will admit to wishing you took a little less cartoony route by making this level for Doom II instead. :) If this indicates Mordeth E3 is (for reals) dead in the water, then I wonder what that means for the other unreleased episode 3 material...

He says this "is his Mordeth", not that this "was for Mordeth". Maybe you have some other inside info tho.

I think you misinterpreted Lutz's remark. He doesn't say "this is my contribution to Mordeth", but "this is my Mordeth". His personal project that takes years and years to finalize and will get a Mordeth Award because of the time it took.

If you read the old news on the Chaos Crew website, you'll see mention of working on a Heretic project... That was in 2003.

(Ninjaed while I was digging the link.)

Gez said:

I think you misinterpreted Lutz's remark.

True that. Guess I just assume everyone on the Internet now communicates through broken English so I have to extrapolate my own interpretation out of forum posts.

Carry on.

Great map, love that theme and the use of the textures. Only letdown in the visual department are all those unaligned textures.

The readme contains this gem:

* A Note on Source Ports *
----------------------------------------------------------------
What you really need to run this level is a BOOM/MBF-compatable,
limit-removing source port. I did 98% of my testing with ZDoom,
so that is what I recommend, but have verified it also runs with
PrBoom 2.4.8.1. NO JUMPING!

That PrBoom supports Heretic was new to me. :p

Gez said:

The readme contains this gem:

... What you really need to run this level is a ... limit-removing source port. I ... have verified it also runs with PrBoom 2.4.8.1.

That PrBoom supports Heretic was new to me. :p

And that PrBoom had a version 2.4.8.1 is new to me.

Presumably what he means is that it should work with Heretic-plus, and got a bit confused by the download page at sourceforge.

And if that's not what he meant, then perhaps it was just a piece of debris text, left over from something else.

NOTE: This level has NOT been tested with PrBoom+ -- that's cut-and-paste error.