Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csonicgo

How the case against the MMR vaccine was fixed

Wakefield’s article linking MMR vaccine and autism was fraudulent. Of course we knew that before, but now we have concrete evidence of fraud.

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c7452.full

The most damning parts:

Who perpetrated this fraud? There is no doubt that it was Wakefield. Is it possible that he was wrong, but not dishonest: that he was so incompetent that he was unable to fairly describe the project, or to report even one of the 12 children’s cases accurately? No. A great deal of thought and effort must have gone into drafting the paper to achieve the results he wanted: the discrepancies all led in one direction; misreporting was gross. Moreover, although the scale of the GMC’s 217 day hearing precluded additional charges focused directly on the fraud, the panel found him guilty of dishonesty concerning the study’s admissions criteria, its funding by the Legal Aid Board, and his statements about it afterwards.

Meanwhile the damage to public health continues, fuelled by unbalanced media reporting and an ineffective response from government, researchers, journals, and the medical profession.

Of the 71 children infected with mumps, 68 had not been immunised.

Not only was he a fraud, but a good one at that. and he could have cost lives.

Yet his loyal throng of "motherly instincts" followers is why Jenny McCarthy's tits are on the Screen on Oprah or some other talk show nonsense saying that it's "Big Pharma" behind all this debunking.

Edit: url of an autism site defending this bastard: http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/01/the-british-medical-journal-shows-misjudgement-bias-in-further-attack-on-andrew-wakefield.html?cid=6a00d8357f3f2969e20147e14e2aba970b

Full of woo-woo and lulz.

I hope Wakefield and the lawyers who paid him get sued for and lose every penny they have.

The bastard probably has cost lives. There have been many more cases of measles since his fake study was published, quite possibly because parents stopped vaccinating their kids. I suppose now he'll just go work for some dodgy new-age outfit that doesn't need him to be a real doctor.

To the Googol! These images show rates in England, pretty evident trend.
http://granades.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ukmeaslesandmmr.png
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/measles-rates.jpg

I wasn't paying much attention to this vaccine craziness, it was just an annoying news topic. If this guy made false claims knowingly, he deserves a heck of a lot of punishment.

What exactly was the point of campaigning against mercury-containing vaccines if he knew they were safe anyway

arrrgh said:

What exactly was the point of campaigning against mercury-containing vaccines if he knew they were safe anyway

A quick re-read of the previous thread on this subject turned up these gems.

But an investigation by a British journalist found financial and scientific conflicts that Dr. Wakefield did not reveal in his paper. For instance, part of the costs of Dr. Wakefield’s research were paid by lawyers for parents seeking to sue vaccine makers for damages. Dr. Wakefield was also found to have patented in 1997 a measles vaccine that would succeed if the combined vaccine were withdrawn or discredited.

Ugh, that thread brought up homeopathy. my mom got into that sometime this week or so, cause her order confirmations showed up in my email (she used it as well as me back in the day)... I need to have a talk with her about that scam.

One of my older cousins ended up marrying this organic farmer guy who also believes heavily in no vaccinations (among many other things that just make no sense). Almost everyone else in the family thinks he is insane, and the impression I'm getting from everyone is that my cousin is actually suffering from his strange lifestyles.

I'm not sure if he was actually influenced by the original "study" or whatever you want to call it, but it's still just slightly insane.

From what I understood, the Lancet actually issued a retraction and apology for publishing the article shortly after, but by that time the tabloids and conspiracy theorists had god hold of it and it spread like wildfire even after being discredited. Sure, this Wakefield guy is a sack of crap, but people are still idiots and will believe anything they're fed without checking the facts first. It doesn't matter how many times it's proven the vaccine is safe, there will now always be a small minority who won't trust it. Damage done.

Csonicgo said:

Ugh, that thread brought up homeopathy. my mom got into that sometime this week or so, cause her order confirmations showed up in my email (she used it as well as me back in the day)... I need to have a talk with her about that scam.

Something rage-inducing that I saw the other day...

Aliotroph? said:

The bastard has cost lives.

Fixed that for you. The man got blood on his hands. So do that bitch Jenny McCarthy.

Bucket said:

THANK YOU. I joined JMBC on facebook and have been keeping up on this for a while now. She is still supporting Wakefield, and now is going into conspiracy theory mode. She's insane.

http://skepchick.org/blog/2011/01/wakefield-from-disgraced-md-to-gdmfl/ this is hilarious and a great link if you don't want to read the whole paper:

Wakefield may be disgraced. He may have a destroyed career. But he continues to be hailed a hero amongst the anti-vax crowd. He’ll still get his speaker fees. He’ll still get his royalties. And his hoax will continue to scare parents and cost people their health for years to come.

:(

You guys are usually more hateful than the preachers you preach against preaching. What's with that?

udderdude said:

Who cares about a couple of dead kids? He's living the American(tm) Dream. USA! USA! USA!

He's British.

That interview was funny. Two women having a bitch fight. Today correct bitch wins. Tomorrow nobody can predict.