Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

New Doom map.

http://bejiitaswrath.com/maps/hands.rar

This map is for doom.wad E1M1. I have only done part of the map, but I want feedback on whether the map is worth continuing with. I want to make a small map that could have various organic parts in it and mixed with other hell themes. I have had problems lately coming up with ideas for a new map, I hope I can develop this into something cool.

#EDIT. I have replaced half of the lost souls at the start with sergeants and Imps, and re-done the starting area as well as the large lava area. I will re-do the room with the barons, and see what I can do, I am thinking of adding in a wood and metal theme as well. I want the player to be able to get more ammo and fight through another few rooms I will be adding, the Cyber can damage the barons before you raise the bridge, but I need there to be a reason to go there, that will be the exit, and I will have a blue skullkey door located behind the Cyber.

Here is a shot of the exit.

http://www.bejiitaswrath.com/maps/Screenshot_Doom_20110131_213630.png

I downloaded it.

Ive been playing it for a little while and i thought i should give you my fresh opinion.

I liked it. The starting areas are nice and the theme works well. It has a very dark atmosphere which works for it. The first problem is that while trying to get a shotgun from one of those sergeants i usually lose most of my health. Once i go for the original 4 or so, a bunch of them come after me and usually kill me. Although throwing in that little ambush when you get through them all was a nice touch.

A bigger problem though is lack of supplies. If there was maybe some health packs or armor by the plasma rifle or maybe more health by the trees in the courtyard it would help with the massive damage i took getting the plasma rifle. The rifle will get me through the cacodemons and whatnot placed at the end of the hall but after that im out and i usually have very low health.

Btw, whats with the hellish room with all the barons for? Not the one at the end of the hall but over by the sergeants. Theres noooo way to kill them with the ammo provided.

I think this theme is definitely worth exploring. Like i said, i thought it looked good but it need some more ammo/guns/medpacks for the monsters.

Im sorry if my short review sucks....its almost 8 in the morning and ive been up all night lol....when i saw a new map posted i just had to try it.

I can PM you with ideas if your interested but if you arent then ill wait for your own update and get that when it comes out.

Second playthrough.

Much needed health packs are now present even though they seem slightly out of the way. Sergeant room is still a bit of a cluster f*ck because the guys from the inner room will come out the minute you start shooting.

All im saying for weapons is that you will have to give the player a sizable arsenal to deal with all these barons. Either LESS barons or MORE guns.

Still diggin the map though.

Is there some way to get over to all those barons across the lava that im not seeing?

Map updated with a new area, and I have added the exit, built into the stone behind the Cyberdemon. I have added a couple of secrets with useful resources within and hopefully now the map is getting a bit easier. You can run into the wood and metal part and clear that out and then lure the other monsters out and fight them in the main courtyard.

I fixed the HOM in the outside baron area, I just had to raise the outer red wall a bit. And I added a BFG to that area as well. If you stand just right in that BFG niche you can berserk punch the Barons and they cannot hit you. That is pretty cool.

I just downloaded zdoom 2.5.0 and tested the map and it is all good. Now I just need to test the gameplay and see if it is too easy or too hard and adjust accordingly.

#EDIT, quickly uploaded another update, fixed a HOM bug in the starting courtyard, and unpegged and decorated the exit door tracks.

I didn't see all of it, I ran out of ammo killing the barons in front of the cyberdemon (which was killed by them surprisingly easily, I think it got stuck between a couple of them scratching it constantly and couldn't fight back)

Obvious bug: linedef 2622 and sector 161 (the blue armour on a pillar in the east part of the level) need to have the same non-zero tag. As it is it's an implicit manual and won't work in anything other than ZDoom (I think you are targetting any limit-removing engine, right?)

Also I think some parts could do with being a bit brighter. Keep it dark if you want but the odd torch surrounded by a few bright sectors would do wonders.

Other than that it's neat, I've always liked your rather chaotic mapping style for some reason.

Fixed the lindef 2622 setup, I just played through the map in Prboom+ and it is fixed now, and I brightened it a little bit. There is a bit more ammunition, there is a secret with a chaingun that will be good for killing the cacos, and I fixed a bug where the player could only grab the invulnerability in Zdoom, I made it raise up when you walk near it to get the blue key. Should be really good now.

And hell is chaos, so this map is also.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have been working on this map in Yadex and testing it in Prboom+ and it is even better right now than it was before,I added the exit area that I wanted from the start and it plays very well indeed, with enough weapons and secrets to help the player along.

http://bejiitaswrath.com/maps/hands.rar. (123KB)

Boom port required.

What did you use to build the new version's reject lump? It's quite a few bytes too short and most sectors are blind. Most monsters don't wake up even if you walk right up to them :-)

Also (after I fixed that with zennode) I found the number of large areas affected by a slow pusher floor effect inexplicable, not to mention pretty annoying.

Finally, I still think it's a bit dark. Other than that, pretty good!

I used warm to build the reject map, I will try bsp. I am on *nix now I cannot run DB2, but I might try BSP and that should fix it.

And I put in a wind effect, but I guess I will remove it after all. Maybe there are options in warm's configuration I can use to build the reject map properly.

#EDIT. I just rebuilt the nodes with bsp and it works fine now, I tested it with Zdoom 2.5.0 and prboom-plus v2.5.0.8a and it runs perfectly now. I added a round sector in the starting courtyard to fix a strange blockmap bug when running with Zdoom, I do not know what that was...

warm—I might've guessed :P

As it was the only program with the ability to build a reject lump that had been ported to RISC OS, I remember trying to use warm years and years ago to speed up One Bloody Night. But I quickly discovered its reject lumps were garbage... and by "quickly" I mean "quite slowly, as the damn thing took an hour to run". Sigh.

Anyway, the new version seems fine to me. If the pushers were meant to be an intentional wind effect then I'm sorry I complained about them, but they seemed nonsensical. I think using floor pushers to simulate wind in Boom is never going to work, wind is more like a directional friction effect that would slow you down running in one direction and speed you up in the opposite, than a constant push effect that causes you to slide across the floor. Well unless it's really, really strong wind, of course...