Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cthulhunicron

Is Memento Mori worth playing in single player?

So I'm thinking of checking out some of the megawads available online and I'm trying to narrow down which one I should try first. Don't worry, I'm not asking for a list of recommendations, I've used the search function to research the most popular megawads. I've heard that Memento Mori is designed for co-op gameplay, but can still be completed in single player mode. I was just wondering if you think it's worth checking out even if I don't intend to play it with someone?

Yes, play it now.

There's only a few parts where its co-op-able nature might harm single player a little. You can certainly finish all the maps but a couple are hard to get 100% on.*

* Maps 31 and 29 spring to mind; the former requires a tricky jump through a window that you only get one chance at, and the latter a bit of straferunning that I didn't catch on to until I watched the competn maxdemo of it.

DeathevokatioN said:

Momento Mori is one of the best wads ever made. So ofcourse it's worth it.

I concur.
Very solid architecture, nice new textures, classic Doom2 gameplay, also the music score is nice.

Coop and single player aren't much different. I think when something says its designed for Coop that usually means there are some pretty difficult fights, a good amount of ammo, aren't many doors, the hallways and rooms are pretty big and the layout of the map is not linear. All of which are good single player qualities as well.

Memento Mori was the first megawad I'd ever played. I was hesitant because I knew as soon as I start playing megawads I knew I'd be addicted. Sure enough I was right and I can't think of a better place to start.

Yeah, ignore the stuff in the txt that suggests it is primarily designed for coop. Back then a lot of wads weren't properly tested for coop, and so it was a big deal that this one was.

It's perfectly designed for single-player too. There's nothing coop-only (or "coop-preferable") about any of the levels.

Hundreds of single-player demos have been recorded on MM, in a wide range of categories, including Max. It wouldn't have been made a compet-n pwad if it weren't suitable.

Some levels have more monsters in coop so perhaps you can play it with the -solo-net switch for some more challenge.

I actually thought MM2 was better for SP than MM, but they're both quite excellent, no matter which mode you're playing in. Go, play. Have fun.

I've been playing MM2 lately and I can see why it was designed with co-op in mind. Some of the levels are massive and often very difficult to tackle single-handedly.

I love Memento Mori! And the only way I've ever played it is in Single Player mode, so I don't imagine you'll be disappointed. :)

Go play it go play it!

Someone above recommended Requiem, too. I second that.

I think there are one or two "dual track" levels in Momento Mori or its sequel which do actually have the players not meet up and actually be in the same area until later, but they still play perfectly well in single player.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Requiem is another one that I've been thinking of trying. I have Icarus downloaded right now, so I'll probably start with that one. I've played a few levels and I dig the map design, though it seems a bit too easy. I love the part in one of the early maps where you enter a room on the ship, and you can see stars passing by.

As everyone already said, MM is awesome and definitely something to play, single or not. Though I think there are a few areas that can confuse the average Doomer that's playing single (map 4 and map 25 comes to mind).

Cthulhunicron said:

I have Icarus downloaded right now, so I'll probably start with that one. I've played a few levels and I dig the map design, though it seems a bit too easy.

Yes, most of the early megawads were not terribly hardcore in their gameplay on UV. Plutonia seemed shockingly hard to many players back then on UV, and HR was like something from another planet.

But the maps themselves (in the MMs, Icarus, Requiem and others) have plenty of interest, and if you want to push up the difficulty level, then you can turn on fast monsters, or try to play them in other styles. There are some guys currently working on doing as many Icarus levels as they can Tyson-style, for instance.

Yes, yes, YES forever! It should be one of the first ones you check out if you are just entering the wonderful world of pwads.

I've never played it. I guess I better.

Edit: wow it's spread out over a bunch of files?

Edit: nvm I found it.

Just want to chime in and say: Hell Yes it's worth playing in single player! Make sure you check out Memento Mori 2 and Requiem when you're done with the first Memento Mori.

After seeing this thread I've tried MM again and I'm not particularly impressed with it so far. The first level was pretty bad. Masses of hitscanners and about 40 extra health and no armor. I had to crawl my way through it, but still died a ton. The next few levels weren't as bad but I haven't seen anything amazing as of yet. Lots of switches, doors, and general linear gameplay. Not my idea of a good time. If I don't start having fun soon I might try again on ITYTD, just to see what's there, but probably I'll just toss it into the same pile of much-loved megawads I find totally uninteresting.

NT

NaturalTvventy said:

The first level was pretty bad. Masses of hitscanners and about 40 extra health and no armor. I had to crawl my way through it, but still died a ton.

Uh, are you kidding? It's not a map I know or remember very well, but I have just played it, and easily reached the exit, killing everything and was never in danger. And I am rusty as hell and don't have a good control set-up, and used no special tactics. It's a tough level to speed through, or on NM, but that's all.

I dunno, are you using Zdoom? That will tend to make hitscanners more dangerous, as their shots won't miss as often (unless you enable the compatibility option "use doom code for hitscan checks"). This wad was made and tested long before any ports made changes to such things.

Grazza said:

I dunno, are you using Zdoom? That will tend to make hitscanners more dangerous, as their shots won't miss as often (unless you enable the compatibility option "use doom code for hitscan checks"). This wad was made and tested long before any ports made changes to such things.

I played this with Zdoom and it's perfectly fine for me. From what I've seen in NTs Zdoom wads he likes making levels that are easy to get lost in as well, so his definition of a good layout is pretty much far off from what I'd call a good layout.

Sure, the map is still fully playable, but it might make it a little easier to die on a low-health high-hitscanner map than originally intended.