Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

River of Nukage

Okay somewhat misleading title. The river turned green because of some chemical but it's probably the closest depiction to what nukage in real life would look like. Minus the sector health damage properties.

http://tinyurl.com/3afp7fk

Non-toxic chemical turned B.C. river green
By Michael Bolen | Daily Brew – Wed, 5 Jan 2:18 PM EST
When a stretch of the Goldstream River on Vancouver Island unexpectedly turned neon green last week, residents and scientists alike were concerned.

Those who saw the river worried about the effect the contamination might have on fish and wildlife. They can now breathe a sigh of relief.

Water samples now prove the cause of the water's unusual colour was the presence of fluorescein, a tracing product usually used to find leaks and diagnose medical conditions and is non-toxic.

According to the Victoria Times Colonist, Dan Gilmore, B.C.'s environment ministry spokesman, said "Fluorescein is a synthetic organic compound soluble in water and alcohol. It is widely used as a fluorescent tracer for many applications. The product itself and its products of degradation are not toxic."

A fountain in Langford, B.C. also ran green around the same time as the river, according to The Vancouver Sun.

Many have speculated the two incidents were connected and that both were likely pranks.

Langford Mayor Stew Young said only a small amount of the chemical is necessary to change the colour of a river. "It's a non-polluting chemical that's really bright green. It's probably some idiots with a bit of knowledge," he said.

Witnesses described the river as being so bright that it hurt the eyes. Jane London, who took the photo accompanying this piece, said "It looked a little like antifreeze, but there was way too much. The whole river was flowing green from the bridge right down as far as we could see," she said.

Known for its chum salmon runs, the river is also home to eagles and other sensitive wildlife. According to Environment Ministry staff, the likely concentration of fluorescein was not enough to harm fish or their habitat.

While the chemical is non-toxic, it can cause severe reactions in humans. Side effects can include nausea, hives, and even death from anaphylactic shock.

POTGIESSER said:

While the chemical is non-toxic, it can cause severe reactions in humans. Side effects can include nausea, hives, and even death from anaphylactic shock.

Awesome! I wonder how the wildlife reacted to that -- especially the ones that can't just stay out of the water for the day.

And how much is the "small" amount the mayor is referring to? A barrel? A truck? I wanna know! (I swear I don't intend to pose as a wizard and destroy the cultures of primitive tribes!)

That's where I took my ex out on our first date. Fucking classy. Currently, I eat at Tony Romas for free, they got a great dumpster out back.

What do they use to dye the Chicago river green for st. patties day every year? I wonder if this is similar.

That has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I wonder if it'll make the fish and other critters green too.

magicsofa said:
Junk river

which one is better? [/B]

Quake voice HOLY SHIT

Where is that?!

Nukage is a Doom word... any google search of nukage yields Doom and only Doom. The river itself reminds me of Day of the Tentacle more than of Doom.

Radon said:

Reminds me of my days growing up in Chernobyl.

Uh... green water and stalkers?

I was thinking at Stalkers shadow of chernobyl, which i'm playing in this period...

POTGIESSER said:

Sounds pretty toxic to me. \:

Probably some troubled Doomers that made a level in Doom with nukage in it that used it as a base to practice poisoning the Goldstream River IRL. Too bad they couldn't figure out that the chemical they used was not toxic.
Hmm, now doesn't that sound familiar...