Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The_MártonJános

Vice Versa

How do you like this idea?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like this idea?

• If it were a community I\'d definitely join!
    • Sounds nice
    • Weirdo
    • Not at all

Well, how shall I put it. I was thinking about it recently (again :P) and it settled into my brain deeply. All I have to do after that is the realisation, but the "how?" sometimes crashes to brickwalls.

The idea I have is a Doom project I'll be doing in near future. Actually two mods, one for Ultimate Doom and another for Doom II. These mean to be both classic-styled wads, the only difference is that they're exchanged. The one which is for UD has it's textures, monsters and map themes like it was in Doom II, while the another is taking resources from UD but goes for II.

The only problem this idea comes across is the issue "how DoomII sprites would have been done working in UD?". Some technological information or at least a direct link to a connecting Wiki page I would be grateful for.

Anyway, I was only sharing this idea, as I plan it to be a personal project as Five Places. I don't know whether there are projects using, working on this idea (or at least something like that), I'm not that "cultured" in the Doom Community yet. If the name "Vice Versa" and/or the concept is copyrighted already, I'll quit this idea of maybe ask for a permission.

The actual point is the theme itself... I wasn't certain in the sprite one, but now, it sounds kinda weirdness for me.
Little changement: only textures will be exchanged, but enemies, things and the Icon of Sin remain for the UD-theme textured DoomII wad. Is this better?

Cell said:

The actual point is the theme itself... I wasn't certain in the sprite one, but now, it sounds kinda weirdness for me.
Little changement: only textures will be exchanged, but enemies, things and the Icon of Sin remain for the UD-theme textured DoomII wad. Is this better?

I think it'd be interesting. I'm more interested in the DOOM environments, themes and textures than Doom 2, so doing this just for Doom 2 seems like an interesting project to me.

Then, you're probably a techbase fan. II wasn't that basic that UD's E1 and E2 was, see COMPUTE* and COMPTILE textures removed, etcetera.

Actually, I'm the one who finds the UD E1 concept with TEKGREN, METAL2<, BRONZE* and TEKWALL6 redone interesting, that's why I plan to make it. But if you want, I'll be starting off with Vice Versa II and then will be making Vice Versa I.

I'd really like to see some UD style hell in D2. The lack of hellish environments was a bit disappointing, considering MAP28 managed it.

Considering, yeah. Not a high amount of maps has that kinda friggin' hellish theme that E3 produced, though they're still basic in some kind of texturing (look at those CEMENT and METAL1 structures on E3M3 or the STARBR1, ICKWALL ones on E3M4), but anyone who wants to see e.g. a MAP25/MAP26 like Mt. Erebus, should definitely subscribe to the thread.

BTW, how did you evaluate MAP01? I found it a bit hard to be a first level, but never mind. Later maps will provide those friggin Chaingun guys as well - note that only the theme goes now, enemies remain!

A fair number of projects are in the works (Doom the way Id did it, Pcorf, etc) so I doubt there that many people free to help or even interested in this.

I don't need help, I do it myselfish.

Seems like some people still misunderstand the spirit itself, but I'm tired of explaining again and again, it's a personal project and all I do is sharing. But if the interests come here as this, I don't want to squeeze even a single playtest into your community-fulfilled schedules.
So, VV and VV2 remain personal projects. If anyone is interested in the progress, just drop me in a PM whether you want to make a playthrough.