Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

Smells like a burning corpse real sound

Anyone knows the music used for map 2 and 15 in tnt, it sounds creepy like a guitar playing for seconds. But if you play these with zdoom you will hear the real sounds with drums which make it really cool instead of creepy. Can anyone explain and where can i rip it? It is so cool.

Get tnt.wad and extract the MIDI file with a WAD management tool such as Slumped or XWE.

I like the zdoom version a lot more; The original sounds like an annoying broken record, while on zdoom it's a great metal-style track which fits the levels it plays on.

You are probably confusing the original .exe's Sound Blaster sound under DOS with the MIDI sound played through a windows port -BTW all will sound the same under those conditions.

Even a ripped midi played through any media player under WINDOWS will sound the same -assuming you're using Microsoft's GM Midi synth.

The problem with that tune is that it's apparently a corrupt or malformed midi. Depending on the MIDI player you use, some instruments won't be played.

ZDoom features a nice choice of softsynths, so with some of them it will glitch while with others you'll hear the song as it was intended.

A quick test gave me this:
- Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (system-provided): works
- FluidSynth: works the first time, but not after looping
- GUS: glitches
- OPL emulation: glitches
- TiMidity++: glitches

It only sounds different in Zdoom, but not in gzdoom which makes it wierd. Go to youtube and search: tnt final doom music map02, you should find the title and (Zdoom version) at the end.

Update: thanks Gez! I've remembered that i was playing in the sound options :P.

In the original and Chocolate Doom ports, the MIDI for TNT02 is phucked up for me. It's played correctly in all other ports that I've tried. I work with MIDI and have decent knowledge of this... and I never seen this happen before. Well, similar stuff but not like this.

Processingcontrol said:

The original sounds like an annoying broken record, while on zdoom it's a great metal-style track which fits the levels it plays on.

Actually, it hurts my ears if I attempt to hear it in DOSBox, where the accompanying basses are brought to full volume.

Also, why is the lack of bass creepy or unsettling?

printz said:

Actually, it hurts my ears if I attempt to hear it in DOSBox, where the accompanying basses are brought to full volume.

Also, why is the lack of bass creepy or unsettling?

It's creepy because... WE DON'T KNOW WHERE THE BASSIST IS.

*cue theremin

I've heard that, too. I shat bricks the first time I heard it in Zdoom's FMOD. I always thought that the song was quiet and empty, and when I heard it in ZDoom, I was like OMGWTFISTHISIDONTEVEN.

Edit: On the subject of Midis, how the hell do I extract a midi file from a wad into anything else than a raw lump in SlumpED?

Luckily, I managed to hear the intended version (with bass) the first time 'round, so anything else just sounds weird to me.

I actually have a fixed .mus lying around that I was able to get by converting it to midi and editing it a bit. I can upload that if anyone's interested.

You can upload it at /idgames with the title "Smells like a burning corpse fix". It sure will be wanted because of the rock of this music instead of the creepy long sound. Thanks!

The only difference I can hear between that youtube Zdoom version and the one I'm used to (in PrBoom+ and Windows), apart from the instruments sounding slightly different, is that weird buzzing lasts the whole time rather than just the beginning.

I think the question that should be on everybody's mind is this:

How do you fuck up a MIDI that badly? Exactly what could you do to malform a MIDI?

Xaser said:

I actually have a fixed .mus lying around that I was able to get by converting it to midi and editing it a bit. I can upload that if anyone's interested.

That would be nice to have, yes.

Xaser said:

Luckily, I managed to hear the intended version (with bass) the first time 'round, so anything else just sounds weird to me.

Please do! Then TNT.wad will have had another essential hotfix. xP