Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

More Doom oddities

E2M4 has two sectors which their ceilings are exit marks but the floor is nuke, the floor next to it is blood.

Doom 2, MAP11, Thing 236.

Seriously... just open the map with an editor and you'll see it.

The chainsaw balcony in MAP01 is untextured if you venture in the "courtyard" by idclipping.

In E2M2, linedef 1582 is a badly aligned NUKEPOIS, with a small triangle visible.

HOW VERY DARE THEY!!!

Maes said:

The chainsaw balcony in MAP01 is untextured if you venture in the "courtyard" by idclipping.

You're not supposed to be there in the first place, so that doesn't matter.

printz said:

Yeah, but in, say, E1M1 there's no such problem, even if you're not supposed to venture outside the control tower.

Then again Doom 2 in particular is chock-full of gross mapping errors, especially MAP02.

Ultimate Doom's 4th episode maps are also quite flaky: unclosed sectors in EM41 and HOMs already in EM42 makes you wonder what tools they used to make them, as those were pretty easy to catch even with DEU.

Also, Thing 232 is outside the map in E4M3...well, it's really as easy as loading DB and running a strict check.

I'm curious about all of those Maes. I've never seen them before. Is there a list of such bugs I can look at?

printz said:

They should still have assigned it a texture.

Snakes said:

Doom 2, MAP11, Thing 236.

Seriously... just open the map with an editor and you'll see it.

You're telling me that grabbing cells outside the map isn't a standard maneuver in multiplayer? Funny stuff. Maybe Petersen added his touch while Romero was looking away.

This is old: MAP11 of Doom2, linedefs 24 and 25 are door tracks with a DR action. Supposedly it should cause a crash in Vanilla upon activation but I couldn't get anything to happen.

Maes said:

Ultimate Doom's 4th episode maps are also quite flaky...

I'm surprised you didn't mention the sutck cacos on E4M4. ;)

While we're on a "name old Doom map glitches" kick, the map-destroying hidden linedef action in E3M5's monster closet is one of my all-time favorites. I always thought I had discovered some super-secret back in the day, and found the tutti frutti everywhere particularly fascinating.

And then there's the (possibly intentional) fact that E4M1's NIN secret gives you absolutely no award except the chance to get 100% kills. Not a real glitch, but still an 'oddity' to me nonetheless.

Turn around at the start of E2M1..SKY!
Just kidding, but I have been curious about the door texturing on the other side.

Xaser said:

the map-destroying hidden linedef action in E3M5's monster closet is one of my all-time favorites

Wow, someone else knows about that?! I was just about to post about it.

The NIN secret in E4M1 can cause a spechits overflow if a demon runs over it.

Linedef 1125 in E2M7 has a linedef type of -1 (or 65535). Some type of weird error, but the game doesn't seem to care too much. The only sign that anything is awry is that pressing on this line doesn't make any sound. There's also something odd about the nearby switch, as discussed in this thread.

And let's not forget the levels with tag 999.

Maes said:

Much of E2M6 is untextured if you smash your way out of the map.

Can anyone please tell me where the E3M5 linedef is? I am looking with Doom Builder 2 and I cannot find it. But I have to say all of the missing upper linedef textures in the Nirvana map in Doom2 are taking the cake. How could they miss that?

Maes said:

as those were pretty easy to catch even with DEU.

If you have any knowledge about id's orignal editor you can understand why so many maps made with it are broken in some way.

But was DoomEd ever released to the general public? Even if only as a curiosity, it'd be interesting to see it.

neubejiita said:

Can anyone please tell me where the E3M5 linedef is?

Search for linedefs 1285 and 1299.

Graf Zahl said:

If you have any knowledge about id's orignal editor you can understand why so many maps made with it are broken in some way.

Yeah I know that id used their in-house editor at least for Doom 1, but I'm surprised that they kept using it after DEU popped out: it seems that DEU maps were more solid, unless DoomEd had some function they could not live without.

It would be cool to know what editor(s) were used in making levels for the various IWADs e.g. I can't imagine the TNT Team having access to DoomEd (did it even run on anything beyond NeXT ?)

Xaser said:

And then there's the (possibly intentional) fact that E4M1's NIN secret gives you absolutely no award except the chance to get 100% kills. Not a real glitch, but still an 'oddity' to me nonetheless.

That dark secret scared the crap out of me.

Cell said:

E1M1 (or at least an earlier version of it) once had a stimpack outside the control tower.

Yeah, the v1.1 version definitively has it. I always wondered what it was doing there...and a lot of E1M1 modifications added a secret pathway to the control tower's yard.

Just found the map11 cell pack. What.

And how did you find the E3M5 map destroyer? Noclip? I don't see how you could access it otherwise.

Maes said:

unless DoomEd had some function they could not live without.

At least, idbsp was able to build the reject table. Also, I guess, DEU wasn't that much better. Doing all the alignment was still quite some work with it either. And they probably started with the maps before DEU was really useful, so they kept working with the text source files.

It would be cool to know what editor(s) were used in making levels for the various IWADs e.g. I can't imagine the TNT Team having access to DoomEd

It looks much like they used the tools available for everyone at the time. Reject is all zero, IWAD is built with DEUTEX etc..

-In E1M2, there are many walls with AASTINKY on their back side in the starting area.
-There are also some invisible GRAYTALL textures throughout the same level (probably remnants of the alpha version).

In early versions of Doom, the code to raise/lower floors was buggy, especially after reloading a savegame. I remember the donuthole in the outside area of E1M3 suddenly dropping 64 units on me after it had already been raised from the nukage, leaving me trapped there. I didn't know about the idspispopd cheatcode back then, so I was always paranoid in that area. On other occasions I've seen the donuthole rise into the sky.

janvknn said:

In early versions of Doom, the code to raise/lower floors was buggy, especially after reloading a savegame. I remember the donuthole in the outside area of E1M3 suddenly dropping 64 units on me after it had already been raised from the nukage, leaving me trapped there. I didn't know about the idspispopd cheatcode back then, so I was always paranoid in that area. On other occasions I've seen the donuthole rise into the sky.

Hopefully that doesn't also happen in Heretic and Hexen which are 1.2-based.

Infinitely moving platforms can still happen, but due to mapping faults. It's those bridges that raise out of lava. If they're blocked by an object, instead of pausing, they'll retreat, but they won't stop at their origin -- they'll go down and down, until the game crashes. The speed they'll descend is very low too. They'll play the PSTART sound when doing so, not STNMOV in loop. These types of moving floors are labeled internally as "platforms", despite their regular floor aspect. In consequence, if they're blocked by something while the engine is Boom (instead of vanilla Doom), they will STILL retreat, but will stop correctly at their origin, while moving with the same speed. Even if you look at BOOMREF.TXT or the Eternity wiki (which took documentation from EDITREF.TXT/BOOMREF.TXT), you'll see them under the "platforms" category, along with the typical lifts (not the Boom elevators as well).

Now, I'm no expert on linedefs and whatnot, but here's a couple things I noticed:

- After saving a game and reloading, any monsters that can't see you will go back to sleep. This can actually be advantageous if you're low on ammo or have a lot of enemies on your back. I've never understood why this happens. I guess they "forget" what they were doing after a save.

- After saving a game and reloading your position might change slightly. On Doom 2, the Chasm map has a lot of very narrow pathways and if you save while on one of them and reload, you will more than likely fall off, sometimes into the wall, and must use noclip to correct it.

- I think we all know that saving and reloading on Icon of Sin (Map 30) will result in a crash. Never understood why, I guess whatever is responsible for the spawn cube has some sort of coding issue.

- On Mount Erebus in Doom 1, that area where the cacodemons come out (from a small structure in the lava) doesn't have a proper roof since vanilla Doom doesn't support room-over-room. So if you climb up on the small structure where the plasma rifle is you can see how strange the cacos' hideout looks when you're higher up than its roof.

- If you load the nazi sprite in a Doom editor there is at least one frame where a pink pixel is present; it is the transparent color used for Wolfenstein. I guess someone didn't catch it...I don't know if you can actually see it in the game.

- On PSX Doom, the Suburbs level from Doom 2 crashed once while I was playing it. I think there may have been too many enemies or something because that level is enemy heavy. I got a black screen with some weird "illegal action" error message. Weird!

- When I was younger I fascinated by noclip. I once traveled out of the level for several minutes until I came across some area that looked more or less like an area from the level, but the textures were horribly stretched and projectile weapons went right through them.

- In PSX Final Doom, the level Ballistix has a secret exit which is impossible to reach. I obsessed with it for awhile because the game claimed there were over 30 maps, although if you perform a level select cheat there are indeed only 30 maps. I'm not familiar with PC Final Doom, so I imagine there was originally a secret exit whose path was removed for the Playstation version, but you can still see the exit.

This sounds more like a bug report, some of which are well-known and documented. The noclip stretcy bug sounds interesting though, never heard of it.