didierbertrand

Failed demo attempts

@ Nevan : haha !
Good luck with map06, this one really scares me. :p
Can't wait to see how you fare in it.

[WH]-Wilou84 said:
An attempt on Stardate 20X6 Map 05. Didn't even think this could happen :/

wow. death by shit map design. please accept my apologies :D

On Last Call, you mean ... Eeeww, you even got those last two Barons ... Well, at least now you know not to align yourself along the axis of the cubes.

Such incredible bad luck can only mean one thing: if you don't let it faze you you're going to have a successful run soon and it will be at least 10 minutes faster than this DNF.

Jesus Christ... I don't think my keyboard would survive that. This game is evil, I know it.

Requiem map 27 can be tysoned. Here I get 178/318 kills in about an hour. I haven't even played this map much, so it seems very doable indeed. If I had survived to the megasphere, I might have succeeded. An arch-vile kills the cyber easily. Then the final room can be opened from the pit, so the spider mastermind can be easily shot from there. Not super hard, but the map is long. I estimate a final time to be about 1:50:00. I'm not sure whether I'll keep trying this, so feel free to do it. Just watch what I do here and do it better.

requiem-27-tyson-fail.zip

Does your demo include riding up a lift into being surrounded by 3 arachnotrons and surviving this situation?
EDIT. Ah, OK. So you spend 10 minutes lowering that lift again and again, hoping an arach will stand entirely on it. For me it's "no, thanks".

Oh well, I think I can finish this off sometime soon. It only requires some peculiar form of patience.

After a few more attempts I improved the kill count to 222/318. The time is 65 minutes. The cyber was killed, but after that I got confused, because I was not in the right place to kill the arch-vile after it killed the cyber. The arch-vile was out of control, so the situation got messy. It was a fun run, though. Doom won again.

requiem-map27-tyson-222-kills-out-of-318.zip

Nova: The Birth MAP28 cl2

Farmed a bunch of revenant missiles to cheese that annoying archvile in the first wave. I still don't think im patient enough to beat this whole level in one sitting.

40oz_nova_failed.zip

It called: 'Linedef skip'. If you run with maximum speed (with strafe) + under angle in 35* you can avoid trigger.
This trick happens with me everytime. Sometimes it's really useful to avoid traps - sometimes (as in your case) just brings problems.

Edit: Forgot to add: But 'Linedef skip' doesn't work on 'Unknown' action.

Azuruish said:

It called: 'Linedef skip'. If you run with maximum speed (with strafe) + under angle in 35* you can avoid trigger.
This trick happens with me everytime. Sometimes it's really useful to avoid traps - sometimes (as in your case) just brings problems.

I find linedef skips always happen to me when I want to go through a teleporter, yet they never occur when I need them to. You notice it in a few demos people not being able to teleport at times.

oh right... and i also noticed i didnt get in the exit line only because it was far before my position
i was wondering cus I thought it was right there :)

Azuruish said:

Edit: Forgot to add: But 'Linedef skip' doesn't work on 'Unknown' action.

Ha, interesting. Do you think it's a different kind of linedef?

ClumsyDoomer said:

Ha, interesting. Do you think it's a different kind of linedef?

Yes. The best example is SODfinal.wad MAP10. In end me and 'dew' tried make several tricks like rocketjump and linedef skip to avoid trap with archviles.
Speed from Rocketjump isn't enough to reach lever, Linedef skip doesn't work because there is Unknown action. Tried linedef skip in Sunlust too but same problems.
I guess Unknown actions or Scripted actions based on another code of game.

Well, that's not because of linedef action. Every linedef is skippable, Looper approved it. A linedef may be harder to skip because:

1. It faces a certain direction
2. It's intentionally duplicated by authors

Actually there are very many duplicated lines in sunlust.

AV24 tyson attempt. 134/143 kills in about 27 minutes. This was the first time I survived to the berserk, so I got a bit nervous. Anyway, it went surprisingly well, amazingly well for my standards! Spider demon got killed, although I had not practiced it much. Anyone wanna finish this for real? I kind of had my fun already and I'm probably not going to try this again anytime soon.

av24t-134-of-143-killed.zip

Got my second cyber kill in just a few more attempts. If I had not taken a direct hit from a rocket, this might have succeeded. Yes, you read that right, I took a direct hit from a rocket. 104/112 kills in about 41 minutes. Anyone else wanna try?

mm220t-104-kills-in-41-minutes.zip