Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
didierbertrand

Failed demo attempts

vdgg said:

MM MAP29 UV "Max" with one missed monster... Just look how devious that monster was... Time: 12:06

Damn, that must suck...

BTW, you know what triggers that caco platform to go down at the beginning? It seems like it only goes down all the way half the time when I do it, the other half, it only goes down a bit, and once the caco's killed, the inner section of the platform rises up.

You must NOT cross the linedef near the first red key (you must gently "grab" that key). What a crazy map!

you can cheese your way through that last encounter I think. after hitting the YK switch you can quickly tele back to where the HKs come out, then run out of the room to safety (block-monster lines prevent the barons/etc from leaving), wait there for the cyb to tele over and spur some infighting.

I only played through once though so the strat may not be super reliable, idk.

on a side note I'm honored to have a midi of mine in a darkwave map :)

Hmm I did consider running away but I thought that it would slow down my demo significantly (seems like you get way better infightings if you stay near the switch for a while). I guess in the end slow is better than dead though. :p

Your midi is great btw and it fits the map really well.

edit: heh, actually that works really well and the infightings are great usually. Thanks for the idea. :)

cheers, I may attempt a demo also though it'll likely be slower. you're probably getting pretty good at the map by now :)

edit: got further and died lamely on that cyber/hell knight part.

This route seems like it was intentional (for darkwave map above):
http://filesmelt.com/dl/darkwave32-ggg2.lmp
http://filesmelt.com/dl/darkwave32-fail-ggg3.lmp
(died, didn't plan much beyond that- probably should have gone for the row of rocket boxes on opposite side first instead of plasma gun)

I only watched the fastest of your 4 deaths, so which part did you have trouble on, the 2 warping center viles, or the hell knights + cyber after hitting the switch? (didn't try the latter part much, but my guess would be after hitting the switch run to the opposite side and shoot red barons on the right for a path to run out).

Cool route! And a bit disappointing actually because now almost the whole map looks easy heh. Without AV jumps both the southern and northern parts are more difficult/exciting (gotta be careful to not get get cornered by imps or smashed by a stray rocket, plus PEs like to go nuts).

I was talking about the part with the HKs + cyber but 2 viles killed me a few times as well. btw to escape you can easily skip barons on the left without shooting, they tend to go back to their "lair" for some reason. Always works for me (at least when not recording :D).

Awww how unlucky, some imp got stuck on a ledge and didn't come to you. Nice ideas there and I really liked the part where you were constantly turning around to shoot imps (looks cool).

Stomper Unfinished map01 UV Tyson attempt 1:56. Mega armour secret didn't register for some reason (it registered in other attempts). I also accidentally picked up the rocket launcher and due to uv tyson rules that means a failure. I really need a better PC so I can record better.

su01-uvt-fail.zip

For Tyson, you don't need any secrets. It also doesn't matter what weapons you pick up; you just need to avoid firing anything above a pistol.

Grazza said:

For Tyson, you don't need any secrets. It also doesn't matter what weapons you pick up; you just need to avoid firing anything above a pistol.

Oh, I thought you need max out on secrets and kills or is that GM Tyson (the one with the fast parameter)? I'll go and redo this then.

Grazza said:

failed to fail then! :)

Springy said:

Oh, I thought you need max out on secrets and kills or is that GM Tyson (the one with the fast parameter)? I'll go and redo this then.

For Tyson, you just need Max kills firing only weapons 1 and 2. Fast Tyson is just that - Tyson with the -fast parameter - no need for secrets there either.

"GM" is an old-fashioned term for Max with fast monsters (which we just call "UV -Fast" nowadays). Max does require secrets, and so does "GM". "GM Tyson" is a somewhat ambiguous term - it could mean "GM" with an additional Tyson requirement, or it might just mean Tyson with -fast.

Heh, I'd say these deaths are your fault. I think the best tactic is to wait for him to shoot three rockets, then he should walk around for a bit and during that time you can pick up the BFG with no problems. IIRC I died in that part only once during my attempts.

Heh, Mock 2 Map 03 Stroller attempt failed. Completely forgot I had to have the keens shot down for the door to open (haven't played this in years). Also, I strafed accidentally in one of the parts of recording. You do get to see me using my wit in this though. Recorded in ZDoom 2.5.0

m203-strfail.zip