Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
InvertCube

in-between monster sprite frames

The idea of someone creating hi-res versions of the original Doom monsters is a picky topic among Doomers and most don't think that a worthwhile attempt could ever happen. But I thought of an interesting idea. What if someone were to put their efforts into making in-between frames for the monsters to make smoother animations? Like what Beautiful Doom did for the weapons. Even if the deaths were ignored this could really bring the monsters to life without changing what everyone knows and loves.
I don't know if this idea has ever been thought of before though. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Could it even be done?

This indeed would be interesting. I'd use this modification, for sure. (Almost put fo sho... *facepalm*)

A minor detail, but the weapons you refer to weren't done for Beautiful Doom, just reused in it. Perkristian created the additional frames, they've since been incorporated into a bunch of different mods.

Anyway, doing the same for monster sprites as you suggest could be quite impressive in the same way, but there are so many more frames that'd have to be done that it'd be a massive undertaking.

Another addition to the original monsters could be 8 more in-between angles, for 16 angled monsters to use in ports that support it, but that would also be pretty difficult.

Well when I thought of the idea what came to mind is isolating the arms and legs in photoshop, rotating them, and then re-pixelating them. But obviously there would be more complicated work than that. I think that it would still be interesting to see this even sloppily done though.