Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kristus

Can't figure out how to spawn_thing O_o

Trying to spawn stalkers from map spots in Zdoom/Hexen. But the damn thing won't spawn. I can't make heads or toes out of this. Looking at spawn scripts in Hexen they make no sense to me because as I interpret them they are all (I've looked at) appearing to be spawning player starts (which they obviously aren't, so I must be missing something).

Help would be appreciated. This is the string I am trying to use.

Thing_Spawn(7, 120, 64);

7 being the Tag number of the Mapspot where I want to spawn the stalker, 120 being the Stalker's thing type number and 64 being a superfluos angle value.

Yes. It's defined in Defs.acs, which is included by Common.acs. See there the full list of spawn ID constants.

I have another script line that is giving me grief now.

SetLineSpecial(3, 103, 64, 0, 0, 0, 0);

This is supposed to set a line special of scrolling texture at the speed of 64 on all Lines identified as 3 (121 linedef special)

Setlinespecial is working fine for me with other things, and I am using this line successfully to replace the texture of said linedef.

SetLineTexture(3, 0, 2, "X_SWMP1");

But with the special, it won't make the textures scroll for whatever reason. Any ideas?

kristus said:

I have another script line that is giving me grief now.

SetLineSpecial(3, 103, 64, 0, 0, 0, 0);

This is supposed to set a line special of scrolling texture at the speed of 64 on all Lines identified as 3 (121 linedef special)

Setlinespecial is working fine for me with other things, and I am using this line successfully to replace the texture of said linedef.

SetLineTexture(3, 0, 2, "X_SWMP1");

But with the special, it won't make the textures scroll for whatever reason. Any ideas?

If you check the wiki, you'll see that action 103 can't be run in a script. It isn't completely obvious and I've had this problem too.

Edit: I made a mistake and said 121 can't be used in a script (and on the wiki it is marked that way) but I've used them in scripts. Wiki error?

ok. that's too bad, I guess I'll just have to use a workaround then.

EDIT: I dunno. But the only thing I am currently using 121 for right now is to set up things through scripts so I dunno why you would want to use it in a script anyway. Seems rather pointless to me. But I got very limited understanding of ACS so far so I probably don't know what I am talking about.

EDIT2: Oh nevermind, I guess you were using it to set up linedef flags through scripts?

121:Line_SetIdentification in vanilla Hexen is only used to give the linedefs they're on some tags for use by other linedef-targetting specials. It can't be used to give them additional properties as it is the case in Hexen-format ZDoom. Here's a link to the Hexen specs (I don't remember if it's the same version as the one I suggested from /idgames) http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/hosted/hexenspec09.txt

kristus said:

Scrolling specials are set up during map startup, just like Doom does, so you can't change them by just changing the special. In vanilla Hexen you are pretty much screwed because runtime scrollers were only implemented much later in ZDoom.