Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Eternity Engine: Rebirth Released (Refreshed)

In celebration of the tenth anniversary of The Eternity Engine, a new version of the Eternity Engine has been released. Officially known as Eternity Engine v3.40.00 "Rebirth", this release is based on the new C++ codebase, and features new things such as:

• Portal overlays
  • A new "Buddha" cheat code for mappers
  • Better wad loading support in general
  • Better support of file paths in the menu
  • Better Master Levels support
  • Support for DOOMWADPATHs
  • New EDF flags
  • ExtraData Sectors
  • ExtraData linedef blending effects
  • Improved BOOM v2.02 demo support
On top of all that, there's a plethora of bug fixes and optimizations we probably forgot about. Hop on over to the Eternity Engine forum to download it.

kristus said:

Portal overlays?

Translucent or additive-blended textures/flats on portal surfaces' floors or ceilings. There's still some kinks to work out with multi-sector ones, though; Csonicgo probably shouldn't have listed this with the new features yet. :P

Congrats on the 10 year anniversary guys :). I'll be looking forward to taking advantage of some of these features very soon (I hope).

esselfortium said:

Translucent or additive-blended textures/flats on portal surfaces' floors or ceilings. There's still some kinks to work out with multi-sector ones, though; Csonicgo probably shouldn't have listed this with the new features yet. :P

Hey now, I didn't want to say TRANSLUCENT FLOORS! else the legions of EE fans would froth over it.

I'm sorry. :p

Csonicgo said:

Hey now, I didn't want to say TRANSLUCENT FLOORS! else the legions of EE fans would froth over it.

I'm sorry. :p

Look just because you're fat doesn't mean you qualify as a legion. And even if it did, that would still be like, five legions total?

John Smith said:

Look just because you're fat doesn't mean you qualify as a legion. And even if it did, that would still be like, five legions total?

I can't fathom why you're inches from being so mad.

Tormentor667 said:

Congratulations on this. I'd wish ZDoom's portal code would be similar to the one of Eternity in terms of possibilities :(

Nothing stopping you from making a map for EE if you want to use its functionality.

Csonicgo said:

I can't fathom why you're inches from being so mad.

It would take a man of great stature to make such a claim!

Tormentor667 said:

Congratulations on this. I'd wish ZDoom's portal code would be similar to the one of Eternity in terms of possibilities :(

Or you could just use the port that has the awesome features to make a map with!

Tormentor667 said:

I thought you were such a GZDoom fan. Almost none of ZDoom's limitations apply there. In fact, you should be able to do anything Eternity's anchored portals can do. (Well, at least De Kerker runs glitch free.)

Graf Zahl said:

I thought you were such a GZDoom fan. Almost none of ZDoom's limitations apply there. In fact, you should be able to do anything Eternity's anchored portals can do. (Well, at least De Kerker runs glitch free.)

I guess he can use 3d floors to make multistorey maps -- with the problem that he'll have to make the whole level on a single layer, and cope with the automap transparency.

printz said:

automap transparency.

What do you mean by that?

BTW, the most recent revisions do show 3D floors on the automap.

Tormentor667 said:

Nothing is stopping you from making a map in EE other than scripting which is soon to be remedied.

Personally, I'd rather have UDMF before scripting. ExtraData works as a stopgap measure to get new features in the Doom format, but it's a cumbersome workaround.

Graf Zahl said:

I thought you were such a GZDoom fan.

I am, that's what I actually meant (mostly because GZDoom means ZDoom+Hardwarerenderer for me). Another limitation is that ACS is missing.

@Csonicgo - Which kind of script system is going to be added?

Tormentor667 said:

@Csonicgo - Which kind of script system is going to be added?

I believe it will be Aeon, and will be using ECMAScript syntax.

Tormentor667 said:

I am, that's what I actually meant (mostly because GZDoom means ZDoom+Hardwarerenderer for me). Another limitation is that ACS is missing.

So? Ever tried to use portals for real with more recent versions? You'll notice that most clipping issues that plagued earlier releases are completely gone now.

Csonicgo said:

scripting which is soon to be remedied.

I sincerely hope that's true... Having no scripting is quite a bottleneck to making quality Eternity maps, as far as I'm concerned.

@Graf: are you talking about Eternity linked portals or GZDoom stacked sectors, regarding latest versions?

printz said:

I sincerely hope that's true... Having no scripting is quite a bottleneck to making quality Eternity maps, as far as I'm concerned.

I think at the moment the limitation to Doom map format is even more critical so UDMF implementation really should be done before starting on a scripting system

printz said:

@Graf: are you talking about Eternity linked portals or GZDoom stacked sectors, regarding latest versions?

GZDoom. The current portal implementation should be able to handle anything Eternity's anchored portals can do, except line-line portals.

Graf Zahl said:

I think at the moment the limitation to Doom map format is even more critical so UDMF implementation really should be done before starting on a scripting system

I'm more of a scripter/code monkey than a speedmapper, so heh, I care more for being able to automatize my maps :P

printz said:

I'm more of a scripter/code monkey than a speedmapper, so heh, I care more for being able to automatize my maps :P

So basically, you would rather have a scripting language in place, with an API that had to be hacked to bits to work around the limitations in the map format, only to have to learn a completely new API when the better map format was implemented? Sounds like a piss-poor idea to me...

Guest DILDOMASTER666
printz said:

What in the world does this even mean

Graf Zahl said:

In fact, you should be able to do anything Eternity's anchored portals can do

Except render them at playable framerates.