Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Sky

Okies, Sky editing question time.

Here's how I want my episode layout to be in my Heretic project...

EPISODE 1: City / Town / Castle
EPISODE 2: Wilderness
EPISODE 3: Ruins (kinda like the dome)
EPISODE 4: Hell

I know how to edit a sky, replace it with a new one and all that, but my problem is that the sky for a city on earth would not be the same for the sky in hell.

And, Episode 1 and 4 both use the same sky.

Soooo... is there something I can edit to redefine what sky (SKY1, SKY2, SKY3) is used for each episode?

Or make it for Zdoom (or other ports that have a Hexen style MAPINFO lump???).

With Zdoom you can make each level use a different texture as the sky if you want. You don't even need to be editing ZdoomHexen format maps. You can use regular maps, but just incluse a MAPINFO lump in your wad that defines which sky goes with what level (see the Zdoom editing pages for details).

You could always release them as separate episodes instead of a whole WAD, and just change the sky in the E4 WAD.

Okies, Sky editing question time.

Here's how I want my episode layout to be in my Heretic project...

EPISODE 1: City / Town / Castle
EPISODE 2: Wilderness
EPISODE 3: Ruins (kinda like the dome)
EPISODE 4: Hell

I know how to edit a sky, replace it with a new one and all that, but my problem is that the sky for a city on earth would not be the same for the sky in hell.

And, Episode 1 and 4 both use the same sky.

Soooo... is there something I can edit to redefine what sky (SKY1, SKY2, SKY3) is used for each episode?

Does it just use SKY1 for episode 4, or does SKY4 use the same patch(es) as SKY1?

Does it just use SKY1 for episode 4, or does SKY4 use the same patch(es) as SKY1?

If simply uses SKY1 for episode 4. I could change it if it simply used the same patch as the episode 1 sky.

If simply uses SKY1 for episode 4. I could change it if it simply used the same patch as the episode 1 sky.

Okay, here's the really hackish way to do it:

(1) Make SKY1 be 1024 by whatever. Set the first two patches to be the Episode 1 sky, and the second two to be the Episode 4 sky.

(2) Make all sky views in Episode 1 face north (I think) and all sky views in Episode 4 face the opposite direction.

The other option is to run HHE on the Heretic .EXE and see if the lines "SKY1", "SKY2", "SKY3", "SKY1" appear in the text area; if it does, fix it.

(BTW, are you using the regular registered version of Heretic, or the six-episode version [I think it's Shadow of the Serpent Warriors]?)

really hackish way to do it

I'd like to avoid doing that.

The other option is to run HHE on the Heretic .EXE and see if the lines "SKY1", "SKY2", "SKY3", "SKY1" appear in the text area; if it does, fix it.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

(BTW, are you using the regular registered version of Heretic, or the six-episode version [I think it's Shadow of the Serpent Warriors]?)

Six episode version.

Edit SKY5 and replace it with a new graphic. It now uses the same patchname (SKY1) as the texture SKY1 so it looks like it's the same sky. Sort of an odd thing to do.

Patch names and texture names just happen to be the same - sort of confusing to explain - but I assume you know what I mean here:)

Edit SKY5 and replace it with a new graphic. It now uses the same patchname (SKY1) as the texture SKY1 so it looks like it's the same sky. Sort of an odd thing to do.

Patch names and texture names just happen to be the same - sort of confusing to explain - but I assume you know what I mean here:)

Which brings up the question:
WHY does Heretic ep. 4 use SKY5 and not SKY4?

Which brings up the question:
WHY does Heretic ep. 4 use SKY5 and not SKY4?

Because there is no SKY4:)