Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

God as the Final Boss...

You know, we recently have (well have you ever noticed that) so many games usually have Satan/Lucifer as the final boss such as Painkiller, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and such but there isn't a single game that you can fight God himself?

Satan's a pussy little bitch always causing trouble and God's too old and too rich to bother with anything.

Ragnor said:

Final Fantasy 2 from trhe GBA onwards has something similar but NOT QUITE.

Also Silent Hill 3? :D Oh wait...

Well the boss in SH3 wasn't quite THE god but still. That actually makes me wonder whether the concept of going up to God and kicking his omniscient ass is a subject that developers are afraid might be a little too touchy or something.

Whenever I see threads like this I wonder about what people who are thinking about joining this forum must think when they see them.

Final Fantasy Legend had a final boss called the Creator (or God in the Japanese version) who created the world, but also created the main villains just to see them defeated by the heroes. He appears throughout the game but never reveals his identity until you reach him at the end of the game. He offers the heroes a wish for defeating the fiends but they reject it on the grounds that manipulating them in such a way was a dickish move. After killing him, you find a doorway to another world/dimension, but decide not to go through it.

How could I forget, Shin Megami Tensei. I dont know about the japan only ones, but in 3, in the secret ending you fight Lucifer after the final boss then if you win, go on to lead his forces on a full on assault on Heaven. Not technically final boss stuff, but yeah, you character IS going up against him.

Dont know if you can fight him in the earlier games, I do know you can side with or against him.

Vile said:

Final Fantasy Legend had a final boss called the Creator (or God in the Japanese version) who created the world, but also created the main villains just to see them defeated by the heroes. He appears throughout the game but never reveals his identity until you reach him at the end of the game. He offers the heroes a wish for defeating the fiends but they reject it on the grounds that manipulating them in such a way was a dickish move. After killing him, you find a doorway to another world/dimension, but decide not to go through it.

Haha, Japanese games. They dislike the idea of God manipulating people, but then they decide what you decide. Bastards!

Craigs didn't say:
That actually makes me wonder whether the concept of going up to God and kicking his omniscient ass is a subject that developers are afraid might be a little too tongue-in-cheek or something.

FTFY

But yeah, you can imagine some fundamentalist weirdoids going berserk over something like this.

In Midnight Wanderers (from Capcom's Three Wonders arcade) you did get to fight the "God of the Earth" at the end (a freakish rendition of Gaia, presumably).

Jannak said:

You know, we recently have (well have you ever noticed that) so many games usually have Satan/Lucifer as the final boss such as Painkiller, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and such but there isn't a single game that you can fight God himself?

God of War 1 - You fight Ares.
God of War 2 - You fight Zeus.

I'd like to see a game where you fight whatever God all those reformed, born-again etc. "churches" believe in. Or simply the one G.W. Bush believes in.

Creaphis said:

The Golden Compass: The Game

God isn't actually an enemy there (the bad guy being Metatron instead). And poor guy wouldn't put up much of a fight, what with him having grown so frail that he was literally destroyed by a breeze.

Maes said:

I'd like to see a game where you fight whatever God all those reformed, born-again etc. "churches" believe in. Or simply the one G.W. Bush believes in.

I hope Neil Cicierega does the concept art.

Well, the christian god is based on the jewish god Yahwe (sp?) which is based on the god of war of Mesopotamia or babylonia or whatever. So, Ares isn't far off.

DoomUK said:

Yeah. Aren't we talking about the Christian concept of God, here?

Are you speaking about One or of Three persons?

Maes said:

Are you speaking about One or of Three persons?

a single final boss with three stages to defeat, duh.

Csonicgo said:

I hope Neil Cicierega does the concept art.

He'll probably cast Adrian Brody again.

...I totally approve of this idea.

Aliotroph? said:

Haha, Japanese games. They dislike the idea of God manipulating people, but then they decide what you decide. Bastards!

You,my sir,have just won the thread.

Ralphis said:

God built Earth, I'm pretty sure you can't kill him

Pretty much. He's an all-powerful deity. He creates and destroys what he pleases.

I beleive God was the final boss in The Simpsons Game...

Other than that, there is Tekken 3 and Tekken 6, where Ogre and Azazel, respectivley, are gods of some sort. Ogre is easy, while Azazel just uses cheap pussy tactics to be annoying.

Yeah, there's no such thing as a real Japanese role-playing game. Even in their tabletop RPGs, they force you to play certain characters and play them a certain way. They like being told what to do, apparently.

More to the topic at hand, though...Breath of Fire II. The end bad guy is being worshiped by what is basically the Catholic Church.

DoomUK said:

FTFY

But yeah, you can imagine some fundamentalist weirdoids going berserk over something like this.

Heh, I remember there being a shit load of either Christians or Catholics (forget which religious group exactly) who were extremely pissed off at Resistance for having a battle that took place inside the Manchester Cathedral. Imagine how they'd react if instead of shooting Aliens you were shooting God himself.