Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Planky

Linked Portals example?

I'm playing around with linked portals in Eternity and having a bit of trouble with them - could someone link me to some example wads using room over room portals? I've found a few threads here in the forums but the links within are dead.

These are just anchored portals, though; not linked portals. (You can fall through them.)

yes. Linked portals means you can fall through them. Or did you mean the released wads by SoM and rf? But that doesn't really matter. The hard part isn't making it linked, the hard part is making learning how to make the portal.

The two test wads however are all you really need to figure that out, and how to make them linked.

Both test wads use linked portals, you just have to set comp_overunder to 0 in the console to enable 3D thing clipping.

kristus said:

The two test wads however are all you really need to figure that out, and how to make them linked.

Test2 is just a reproduction of the tutorial on the wiki (http://eternity.youfailit.net/index.php?title=Linked_portals_tutorial). Im hoping ptest will reveal the answer - I've got the portal working in my level, but cannot walk through it.

Xtroose said:

Both test wads use linked portals, you just have to set comp_overunder to 0 in the console to enable 3D thing clipping.

That produced an odd effect that when I walk up a set of steps to the upper linked portal that it would push the player into the step forcing me to idclip out.

Planky said:

That produced an odd effect that when I walk up a set of steps to the upper linked portal that it would push the player into the step forcing me to idclip out.

This is a known problem in the current portal clipping code. If you can't walk through the portal boundary quickly enough to avoid the issue, and don't want your map to be depending on still-incomplete code, you can avoid the issue entirely by instead using a lift or elevator, or an enclosed staircase with a line-to-line portal in it, to connect the upper and lower areas in your map.

In the case of the lift, there may still be a small but noticeable 'blip' when the player crosses between the upper and lower portals, but if you set it up properly it will be impossible for the player to become caught between the layers like in the test map's staircase.

I typically just use an enclosed staircase with a line-to-line portal; it's usually easy enough.