Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alphawolf

Map Names for Doom II

Hi, I know this has been posted and I have already looked at methods for doing so but it seems there are several ways for different doom exes.

Here's a full list of software I am using:

GZDOOM.pk3
XWE Wad Editor
SlumpEd

I extracted the text file mapinfo and language from gzdoom.pk3 and got here:

As you can see this is blatently the text file for the doom2 lump contained within GZDOOM.pk3 which I extracted using SlumpEd.

I also extracted the following:

As you can see this is the map names contained within the language lump from GZDOOM.pk3

Now that I am at the stage to edit these I am wondering, am I on the right path for creating the names of my maps? Or am I in the wrong text? (Something tells me I am because Circle of death is called 'O' of destruction).

Please tell me if I am correct so far, as I would like to know, if I am not tell me where I went wrong and corrrect me. Hopefully with the use of screenshots we can finally clear up this common question of changing map names.

(PS I am aware of changing the name of the map by replacing the sprite in the wad, but I want to know how to do it this way and how to change the name when in automap as well.

Thanks.

Alphawolf said:

Or am I in the wrong text? (Something tells me I am because Circle of death is called 'O' of destruction).

Read the first sentence of the first paragraph.

Doom uses both a string to show the level name in the automap, and an image to display it during the intermission. Nothing forces the string and the image to say the same thing...

As far as GZDoom is concerned, you can just remove the "titlepatch = cwilvblahblah" line from the map definition. Without a linked graphic patch to use as the map title, GZDoom will generate it from the map name instead.

Actually it didn't.

I removed the line from the text and it still displays 'Entryway'

Bare in mind I have imported the text file 'DOOM2' into my pwad and done so. Do I have to import the map name GFX into my wad and then remove the line "titlepatch = cwilv____"?

Bear in mind that if you want it to work, it has to be named MAPINFO. Not DOOM2. It's doom2.txt in zdoom.pk3; but that's a special case.