Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Juanin

Texture bleeding

Hello there!
I have some texture bleeding problems in a new wad I'm creating, I spent a couple of hours trying to fix it but it's getting me bored. I thought you guys could help.

It's quite surprising because I've created many wads already and never had such a problem

The wad represents a kind of sinkhole, and is very simple so far. I don't understand why the texture bleeds. I tried to lower the ceilings, reduce the number of linedefs, I checked for missing textures and unclosed sectors...

Here's what I see when the level starts:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1640/bugvo.jpg

Here is the file, I hope you can help me understand that mystery...

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b4hce71/n/HOLE.WAD

P-S: I should specify that I use an old version of DOOM (v 1.8), no Zdoom or something like that...

I don't know exactly what is causing this, but I was able to fix it by just going into Doom Builder's Make Sectors mode and clicking in each sector. I'm not sure exactly why that fixed it; maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

@Gez

I didn't know about slime trails. Thanks a lot for helping.

I think you were right. When the BSP rebuilds the level, sectors are segmented and so are lindefs, and sometimes the created vertexes may not be at integer coordinates, as it says.
Maybe this slime trail doesn't reach the bottom of the screen because of the other sector.

I guess it must happen more often in big areas, because of strange angles. And my level is huge (a big open space).

I'll try to keep that in mind and fix it.

Thx

@Skillsaw

Maybe Doom builder's Node builder can fix the problem. In fact I'm still using DEU 5.21 :)

What a strange artifact indeed! This is most certainly not an error on your part, it's the nodesbuilder. I scoured the entire map and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. You must have just hit a snag on the nodesbuilder, and created the world's largest slime trail!

A quick rebuild with ZDBSP eliminated it. Out of curiosity, what were the nodes built with, and with what parameters?

skillsaw said:

I'm not sure exactly why that fixed it;

It worked because you rebuilt the nodes. Using the make sectors tool had nothing to do with it.

Indeed, the formation of slime trails depends on the degree of inaccuracy, how the level is structured, and how the nodes were built. Fortunately there is more than one way to skin a slime trail, and all of them can be avoided, provided that the author doesn't mind moving some vertexes around or using different nodebuilding parameters.

@EarthQuake

I only use DEU 5.21. Since the beginning.

I always used to create levels with small rooms, so I never had that kind of problem with DEU. Maybe I should use another node builder this time ^^, or simply reduce the size of the cave.

Thanks for helping

The nodebuilder is almost always a separate program. Many map editors will let you get away with switching it out for another. I haven't used DEU for over a decade, so I'm not sure about this, but will it let you specify what nodebuilder to use? If so, go download something like ZenNode or ZDBSP. They're much more efficient, faster, and accurate than the nodebuilders of long ago.

I first set the grid to 64 and then replaced the vertexes on that grid. It was even worse: there were slime trails everywhere (don't ask me why...)

I finally solved the problem by placing the pit inside a square sector. No more slime trails!

Here's what I see now (with some new texture)

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/1954/holee.jpg

I think I'm gonna try another node builder, however...^^