Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FooAtari

Extremely faithful port with opengl rendering?

Hi folks,

I've been doing a ton of reading on Doom source ports. For single player I currently use GZDoom or Chocolate Doom (or sometimes even DosBOX).

I'm aware that GZDoom, even with the correct compatibility options enabled, strays from the original game so there may be small differences in gameplay mechanics. That's where Chocolate Doom is useful.

However I was wondering if any source port was a combination of the two. A source port faithful to the original with OpenGL rendering and no FPS limit. I guess the best way to explain it would be 'Chocolate Doom with OpenGL'.

This is purely for the purpose of playing the original doom engine games, so have no interest or need in any kind of advanced features that allow for new gameplay modes, advanced iwads etc.

From what I can gather, I think the best port would be GLBoom?

Please note. I'm not trolling here, or trying to stir the s**t, and am aware this can be touchy subject. But I figured the kind of source port I'm after would be a objective rather than subjective opinion and shouldn't cause many arguments as the question is simple. Which source port is as perfect port as possible of the original game with the only required feature being opengl rendering. (support for high res textures would be a bonus, but not a deal breaker)

Great, that's what I thought.

Thanks for the help :)

Once I'm done with single player, I'll need to find a similar multiplayer source port (i.e. faithful to the original). Although opengl rendering isn't as important here.

I think I already know the answer however, Odamex or Chocolate. However I think both might lack players so will fall back to Zdaemon if needed.

Note that with glboom+, you need to force -complevel 2 (via command line or cfg) if you want to be behave as close as possible to Doom2.exe.

FooAtari said:

But I figured the kind of source port I'm after would be a subjective rather than objective opinion and shouldn't cause many arguments as the question is simple.

I think you got the two words mixed up there. Might wanna look up the meanings if you're unsure.

Grazza said:

Note that with glboom+, you need to force -complevel 2 (via command line or cfg) if you want to be behave as close as possible to Doom2.exe.

Thanks for the tip

I think you got the two words mixed up there. Might wanna look up the meanings if you're unsure.

No idea what you're talking about, I don't see that mistake ;)

Grazza said:

Adding onto this -complevel 3 for Ultimate Doom, -complevel 4 for Final Doom.

I have considerd prboom to be very faithful to the original, and will run most demos, where most other ports will fail.
You can always turn off any feature you do not want, it does not have many beyond Boom compatibility.

Even with DoomLegacy the player can turn off most features like freelook and enable autoaiming from the control menus, and I think many other ports have that capability. But DoomLegacy has problems with the original Doom demos, and will loose sync (demo player crashes into walls).

Yeah glboom+ is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Currently using that, GZDoom if I fancy some eyecandy and Chocolate to play it oldschool. Although I also having it running well under DOSBox, so not really sure Chocolate does anything meaningful for me.

FooAtari said:

But I figured the kind of source port I'm after would be a objective rather than subjective opinion and shouldn't cause many arguments as the question is simple.

A subjective opinion is a pleonasm, an objective opinion is an oxymoron.

FooAtari said:

Although I also having it running well under DOSBox, so not really sure Chocolate does anything meaningful for me.

Chocolate is handier for playing some TCs, because you can simulate Deutex/NWT merges with a command line switch rather than having to actually change your IWADs. You can also bind more keys and, optionally, increase the savegame buffer limit. And finally, it also features a client/server netcode so you can use Doomseeker to look for multiplayer action.

Odamex has had players every evening in the US for at least the past week. You can also drop into irc.oftc.net #odamex or irc.quakenet.org #altdeath to ask for a game, which you'll usually get. Once a game starts on Odamex, it will usually fill up relatively quickly.

That's good to know. Will need to get them installed.

On the subject of irc, are there any general Doom chat channels on the go for somewhere just to discuss the game in general?

Gez said:

And finally, it also features a client/server netcode so you can use Doomseeker to look for multiplayer action.

True, that was one of the reasons I installed it actually, now that I think about it. So I do have a use for it.

It should be noted that Chocolate Doom does not have real client-server gameplay. The server doesn't do much more than just route packets, so the game still feels like peer-to-peer. In many cases, chocolate will run best when one of the players is running the server, because that can almost always reduce the overall latency (in contrast with a remote server which will usually just add latency), which everyone in the game has to deal with. The maximum latency I've played with was with someone from Finland, with about 250 ping, it's not so great.

As for getting some games, hit me up on OFTC or QuakeNet, I can host.

FooAtari said:

That's good to know. Will need to get them installed.

On the subject of irc, are there any general Doom chat channels on the go for somewhere just to discuss the game in general?

irc.oftc.net #doom-tech

irc.oftc.net #zdoom (sometimes, also one guy who never stops talking about guns, some ridic political chat that always starts up a few times a week, and a multitude of penis related chatter)

irc.quakenet.org #altdeath