Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent_Ash

Russian Arsenal REVISED

Hello, everyone! The Revised version of RA is finally here (I actually planned to get it here by 31 December, but duh...)

Thanks to Benoit Spacher for the new titlepic! I slightly remade it though, but the idea is totally there.

2023 update: In the interest of preservation, the mod has been reuploaded and is now available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zQmWGKFcMa41X6DkHBzbwqPRlkDwo-9C/view?usp=sharing

* The mod *

Well, firstly, I worked with sprites. Actually, remade them by hand again starting with the initial resources. I'm not going to lie: many frames still have this horrible grey outlining, BUT the sprites are now 640x480 and with much better brightness/contrast. So generally they are 4 times better. And the mod is 4 times larger, of course.

The mod concerns only MODERN Russian weaponry, i.e. the weapons currently in wide use in Russia. You will not find here AK-47 (only 74 version), Mosin, PPSh or any other old guns. The weapons in the mod are:
1. army knife
2.1 Makarov Pistol
2.2 OTs-33 "Pernach" auto pistol
3.1 Saiga-12 semi-auto shotgin
3.2 TOZ-34 double-barrelled hunting shotgun
4. PP-19 "Bizon" 9mm SMG
5. RG-6 revolver-type grenade launcher
6. AK-74
7. RPG-7

Again, there are much newer Russian weapons not included in this mod: the mod presents only widely used weapons, not just the newest developments (so you won't find here AN-94, Makarov-Shigapov, or RPG-32). There are also no sniper rifles here, as most Doom levels don't require sniping weapons, while AK-74 is rather accurate in the mod.

* Various stuff *

Similarly to coming Beautiful Doom 5.1, empty casings and debris disappear after a while when you don't see them and blood finally vanishes on water. BulletPuff/ricochet has improved smoke and spark effects.

* Weapon stuff *

I removed Fists which were't useful. Now Chainsaw is replaced with a new pistol: OTs-33 Pernach (http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/rus/ots-33-pernach-e.html), a fully automatic 9mm pistol. If you press fire button not constantly, it'll shoot in single shots. Single shots are more precise than Makarov's, while full auto mode has very large spread, but very high firespeed (the highest of all weapons, 850-950 shots/min).

Knife is faster, it now also has an alt.attack: dash-stabbing. Both damage and dash distance increase dramatically with Berserk.

RG-6 reload is improved: you should hold down alt.attack button to keep reloading it, thus if you face an enemy and have an empty clip, you can load just one grenade and shoot instead of waiting till the whole clip is loaded.

AK-74 now has realistic variable firespeed (about 550-650 shots/min) and slightly increased damage.

RPG-7 now has improved smoke effects and a backblast zone: everything in several meters behind you will be damaged when you shoot. Yeah, that's why Russian soldiers try not to shoot it when lying on the ground.

Check RUSARSR.TXT and WEAPDESC.TXT for more.

Edited by Agent_Ash : Updated link

Not bad. The sprites' quality have vastly improved. It's too bad you got rid of the fist though, I liked it. The sounds for it were really satisfying when you punch someone, especially with the berserk pack. Some of the animations are kind of funny though. For example, when you shoot the OTs-33 Pernach, the muzzle flash moves behind the gun. There are a few other guns that have that odd muzzle flash animation as well.

I also discovered two bugs: the grenades from the grenade launcher shoots out of the center of the screen rather than the gun itself. When you kill a cacodemon with the Saiga, their corpses will sometimes instantly disappear.

Grenades are supposed to shoot from the center of the screen. I know it looks wrong, however if you create even the slightest horizontal offset for a projectile, then if you try to shoot it when standing by the wall, it'll spawn inside the wall. In other words, if I made the grenades actually shoot out of the gun, then when standing next to a wall on the right (say 'touching it with his right arm'), the player would kill himself when shooting.

Saiga cannot have any special effect on Cacodemons, as Saiga does not differ from any other hitscan weapon in this mod in any special way. Thus this bug is something totally new to me and doesn't sound credible.

Sometimes, Hell Knights, Barons of Hell or Revenants can also instantly disappear when they are killed with the grenade launchers, the Saiga or the Under-Over Double Barrel Shotgun.

No Mosin-Nagant? To unnecessarily quote a certain internet meme, Son, I am disappoint. Also, you might want to look in to making the mod support widescreen resolutions - this will mean re-ripping all of your models, but heck, you don't seem to mind doing that. =P

WW, you surprised me. o_O If you haven't noticed, this mod is only about actual MODERN Russian weaponry, about weapons that are currently in common use in Russia and none of them is older than 70s. (Even the assault rifle is AK-74, not 47). Mosin?? It's a XIX century weapon designed back in _imperial_Russia_! You know, it would be even crazier than you puttin WWII MP-40 in your mod along with futuristic laserguns in your Diaz.

I stick to a certain theme, and this theme was modern Russian guns. If I was making a mod with modern US weapons, would you want me to use M1 Garand there?

I also do not have a widescreen monitor. Yeah, I know. So this is the first time I find out that widescreen resolutions in Doom somehow affect on-screen sprite. They do? I didn't know. I'm surprised if they do. I doubt I can add this support without having a widescreen monitor myself and I also do not know if remaking sprites in widescreen mode would allow them to be used in normal 4:3 mode.

Jekyll Grim Payne said:

I stick to a certain theme, and this theme was modern Russian guns. If I was making a mod with modern US weapons, would you want me to use M1 Garand there?

Actually, yes, I would, because it's cool. But more on the topic of your mod, I suggested the Mosin-Nagant because your mod is severely lacking in the realm of slow, powerful, single-shot weapons (outside of the RPG and grenade launcher) - also, it appears that there are three rapid-fire weapons in the mod, two of which use the same ammo type (Bizon and OTs), meaning one of those two makes the other obsolete (heck, the Bizon basically means you never need to use the Makarov or OTs ever again).

I also do not have a widescreen monitor. Yeah, I know. So this is the first time I find out that widescreen resolutions in Doom somehow affect on-screen sprite. They do? I didn't know. I'm surprised if they do. I doubt I can add this support without having a widescreen monitor myself and I also do not know if remaking sprites in widescreen mode would allow them to be used in normal 4:3 mode.

Run the game in a window to test for widescreen support.

WildWeasel said:

Actually, yes, I would, because it's cool. But more on the topic of your mod, I suggested the Mosin-Nagant because your mod is severely lacking in the realm of slow, powerful, single-shot weapons (outside of the RPG and grenade launcher) - also, it appears that there are three rapid-fire weapons in the mod, two of which use the same ammo type (Bizon and OTs), meaning one of those two makes the other obsolete (heck, the Bizon basically means you never need to use the Makarov or OTs ever again).

'Bad Guns' is about cool, 'Russian Arsenal' -- is not. It's a rather realistic mod about modern Russian weaponry and that's it. That's firstly.

Secondly, Mosin is not anything powerful nowadays.

Thirdly, the mod's weapons are made to correspond standard Doom weapons and they replace them correspondingly, as the mod is intended for standard Doom levels. That's why Bizon (it being 'Chaingun') uses the same ammo as Makarov ('Pistol'), just like original Doom guns, and obviously when found Bizon is supposed to make Makarov obsolete (just like in Doom Pistol is only an eary-stage weapon). And just like in real life, by the way.

The only purpose for Pernach to exist was to introduce a substitute for Makarov that would be used on the early stages, before getting to Bizon. It's because Makarov has severely small clip and may prove not very useful even against Zombies (considering their ability to keep firing constrantly), and Pernach is a suitable substitute (that's also the reason why you can get it from Pernach Zombies who may appear instead of normal Zombiemen -- this indicates that Pernach is also an early-stage weapon). Thus both Makarov and Pernach logically stand for Doom Pistol, while Bizon stands for Chaingun. The other parallels can be easily drawn, I guess. And Bizon is also supposed to make Pernach obsolete, as it has 1 more point of damage and much tighter spread (then again, Pernach's firespeed is much greater, its damage per second being greater as well).

For the same reason there are no powerful accurate rifles: Doom levels simply don't need them. Normally in Doom we do not need sniping at all, and on the rare occasion we do, we use the Chaingun. In my mod you can use AK in these rare cases. Though, obviously it's not that accurate, as this mod is intended to be realistic.

So, none of the mentioned points are the flaws, they are just examples of my opinion and approach: I've considered all of these and all of these are part of the plan.

I'd also add that, personally, I think you have a very wrong idea about number of ammo types. You think there should be many weapons and many ammo types; I say that for a mod without custom maps that replaces original weapons and ammo types there should preferably be NOT more ammo types than original. Splitting ammo types, creating spawners that spawn two or more ammo types instead of one original ammo type is bad; it unavoidably results in imbalance and creates difficulties when player tries to plan which weapons to use when. That's why in Russian Arsenal all weapons and ammo types correspond to Doom's, thus every weapon has its place (general (shotguns -- TOZ/Saiga), more specific (Chaingun - Bizon here), heavy crowd control (Plasmagun - AK-74 here), very heavy (BFG - RPG)). So, this is not about fun, it's about strategy. I can say that playing Diaz I often just didn't know what weapon to use as the general one, for example (in older Diaz, by the way, this problem barely existed; I still mourn the loss of pump shotgun).

One should never sacrifice fun for the sake of realism. The addition of a Mosin-Nagant with "unrealistic" but well-balanced power won't detract from gameplay solely from the unrealism factor, and why get all defensive about a harmless suggestion from someone. A simple "I don't really want to" would've sufficed.

Also, making weapons supported in widescreen simply boils down to making sure the right or left end of weapons aren't cut-off anywhere in widescreen modes. They'll look just fine in normal resolutions after said adjustment.

Xaser, there's a theme. This mod is fun. But if I made it differently, it would be imbalanced. And lack of balance RUINS the fun, no exceptions. Besides, I want my mods to have certain style, not just a presentation of a random bunch of guns.

Besides, guys, who the hell gave you this idea about Mosin? Call of Duty? I really don't get it. I WAS thinking about adding a powerful sniper rifle-like weapon, but if I had it of course would never be Mosin. It would be SVD, or SVU, or VSS Vintorez, or Vychlop. Something modern. Mosin just doesn't work :). And I really wanted to include a sniper rifle, until I finally realized there was no place for it.

The reasons I didn't add that were strategic, I described them above.

As for widescreen, I WOULD do that if I ran the game from which I got the sprites in widescreen mode, but it didn't support widescreen windowed mode and having 4:3 monitor I had no way to see widescreen weapons. And I don't know how to work with real 3d-models.

P.S. "I don't really want to" wouldn't sound right. Every suggestion has a right to live :) But if I deny something I generally want to explain myself.

On 18/01/2011 at 7:47 AM, Jekyll Grim Payne said:

Xaser, there's a theme. This mod is fun. But if I made it differently, it would be imbalanced. And lack of balance RUINS the fun, no exceptions. Besides, I want my mods to have certain style, not just a presentation of a random bunch of guns.

Have you ever heard of Russian Overkill?