Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hock

Most monsters in a doom level?

I was looking through a bunch of wads on wadhost the otherday and i found holyhell.wad and i checked out map 05 and it had 20,000 monsters! Is this the most monsters in a level ?

Can this map be completed 100/100/100 on UV? There's enough ammo but the traps are insane. Using cheats it took me 5 hours to get through it. If it is humanly finishable I'd love to see a demo.

it is possible but mostly it's being trolled by hitscanners that will do you in. you also have to dodge 100s of revenant rockets.

gggmork did a demo (I think it was a max attempt) of holyhell some time ago.

I played through the entire map5 using full cheats and there are several sections that appear to be almost impossible to do legit (although I haven't tried).

At one point toward the end, an enormous number of Arch-viles teleport in. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to hide and there's no way, even with full BFG you can kill them all before you are blown sky high. Even with 200/200 going in, it would be drained almost instantly by that number of Arch-viles. Possibly there is an Invulnerability in the same room somewhere, I'm not certain.

Also like you said there are several chaingunner and revenant traps that are likely to do you in.

Also many of the traps and single monster only so there's not an enormous amount of infighting that can be started. Sometimes you can lead one pack to another but ...

I did a legit run and it took 1/2 hour to mostly clear the first 3 rooms of around 1500-2000 monsters at which point I decided to give up the session as I was starting to run low on ammo. Most of that time was spent running around like a headless chicken.

Phml, is that gggmork demo publically available?

Knock yourself out, but I never fully beat map 5. I'll likely never try again because its a major time sink, plus there are some bugs like lifts near the end that aren't repeatable). There are 4 or so invulnerabilities @ end. It helps to kill the cacos all away from where the viles warp (so cacos won't resurrect), then when the viles warp get an invuln and go to a top ledge and wait for cybers to kill them all. You can probably see that done in the map4 demo. Map5 was a close fail.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/26315756/holyhell-demos-ggg.zip

edit:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=940306#post940306

speedyshare eternally for the win

mind dumping that zip into misc demos thread?

E: Thanks :]

Wow gggmork that was one incredible demo and at 218 minutes quite quick too. I could see trouble at the end when the remaining cyber's weren't herded in a tight pack but were staggered and spread out, forcing you to cut back against the grain with the inevitable result ...

Those non repeatable lifts are annoying, I haven't yet worked out which ones those are.

Those moderately safe spots up on the ledges on the north and south sides at the end are a good find. Unfortunately you have to keep going down for more ammo since most of that is strewn around at ground level.

I learned quite a bit watching this demo, I didn't realise there border rooms the enemies couldn't come through like the small room with lots of pillars with arachnotrons and mancubi, very useful to know.

You are right about this map being a time synch, I think I'm only going to try a couple of runs and that's it. I can see getting through large chunks of this ok but there are like 3 or 4 murderous sections where I don't fancy my chances much where you are locked in with nowhere to hide. Talk about running the gauntlet.

That's one insane level, tho I did alter it so most of the arch-viles were replaced by other monsters..I wouldn't stand for their distance attack.