Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX 2.0a (Feedback Build) - Updated 3-12-11

Well recreating the music in .MOD format would benefit a couple of things. For one the music will be part of the IWAD rather than external files. This would also make it possible to easily implement music support whenever I begin work on the Nintendo DS port.

Kaiser said:

Yeah, Doomknight did the intro, intermission and finale tracks in modtracker and are very accurate. Its easy to say they're accurate because its not very hard to recreate. The ambient tracks on the other hand is VERY hard to do because of long play lenghts (Staging Area is almost 16 minutes long). And you're right, there is no melody and the instruments are played almost randomly in various pitch, tempo and speed which makes it even harder to reproduce.

I thought they were done well to, besides the sampling problem, i suggested maybe cutting clips from the PSX CD to replace them.. They dont sound the same fidelity wise, but i listened to it, and the same sequences are in there.. What do you think about roughing it? would you use those tracks, if it moreless sounded the same? or are you real picky that way? i know if i was remaking the i would want it very close! ive been a hobbyist for recording bands for a number of years, so im a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to mixing. Though, im self taught and tend to like raw music, i cant help but have very minor things bother me!

Edit: Nvm, deleting everything and doing a fresh install fixed.

Mechadon said:

Wait, really? How come I didn't hear about this? :O

Its not official. Its just an experiment that I was doing a long time ago but stopped due to lack of interest. Lately I've been motivated again to continue experimenting a DS port since now I am just about done with version 2.0a (PC)

You can find some screenshots of it on my website/blog or whatever the hell it is.

Mr. Chris said:

Edit: Nvm, deleting everything and doing a fresh install fixed.

What was the problem anyways? I am just curious.

ShaneAmp said:

I tried to contact him months ago! No response! Found him on Facebook, should try that maybe..

Never hurts to PM me here... or just look up my profile and grab my email address. Just sayin.

Kaiser said:

Its not official. Its just an experiment that I was doing a long time ago but stopped due to lack of interest. Lately I've been motivated again to continue experimenting a DS port since now I am just about done with version 2.0a (PC)

I meant to ask if that was still in the works a while back. I'd love to see it happen.

(Honestly I'd be happy with a DS port of PrBoom that didn't randomly crash when saving the game. I just want to play some Doom on a platform that should be running it easily.)

Most Doom-to-device port are usually crude and sloppy (correct me if I am wrong) without re-working some things to take better advantage of the hardware. Doom64 DS will require to have its rendering system to be re-written and insure that things are done right in order to maintain performance.

So hopefully the DS port will be less prone to crashing or experiencing any issues.

Yeah, Doom for the DS was pretty much unplayable if you ask me. The dev claimed it ran at 'a smooth 30 fps' most of the time, but really it felt more like 15-20.

Doom for the PSP is ok, a little clunky but it runs alright.

Hey there, I got a crash in MAP30 - The Lair. It happened after a shootable switch in the room with the blue unmaker artifact closed.

Here's the log. http://pastebin.com/Dx4vjk4G

It didn't happen the second time I tried, so I guess it's some kind of fluke.

the look sky mechanic isn't exactly done and may be taken out for the upcoming release. I can't really have anything thats incomplete at this point. Of course I'll look into it later in the future.

I understand it isn't perfect, but for the flat night sky in the first few maps, it would be fine if it simply scrolled in the opposite direction than it does now when you look up and down. I should note that the mountain graphic overlayed above it scrolls properly.

As for the scrolling "3D" skies in the later levels, I think the best solution would be a sort of sky "bowl" not unlike Quake. I'm not talking about a full dome like GZDoom uses, but a sort of flat bowl shaped like the one Quake uses.

Kaiser said:

Most Doom-to-device port are usually crude and sloppy (correct me if I am wrong) without re-working some things to take better advantage of the hardware. Doom64 DS will require to have its rendering system to be re-written and insure that things are done right in order to maintain performance.

So hopefully the DS port will be less prone to crashing or experiencing any issues.

I don't think you're wrong at all: DSDoom didn't take advantage of the DS's 3D hardware at all that I know of (still a software renderer), the interface wasn't redesigned either, and it consistency crashes saving on some maps. It's not like it's hard to run into the crash issue either: it occurs as early as E1M6 IIRC. So it's like the port wasn't playtested at all.

Anyway, really looking forward to Doom64 on the DS, so hopefully you'll keep at that. Not only for playing Doom64 either; I think it would be a great engine to make new DS FPS games on.

There's a minor error that's annoyinh me atm where there is a small black line at the top of the weapon sprite, I checked and I think it's with all of them, however may this have something to do with my resolution of 1440*900?

I could be mistaken, but I think Kaiser fixed the issue with the lines above the weapon sprites a while ago. For me at least, the problem is no longer present in the latest version posted in this thread. If you have an older build, you could try updating.

i've done a list of things to spawn with

Spawnthings [id]

console command

http://wreckless.x10.mx/things.txt

hopefully that would be some use for somebody O.o

anyway, i've seen alot of pleasant changes in this build, it looks alot more like the game i just totally liked

there seems to be a problem of collision with cacodemons and baron/hellknights though, when you are running towards them or if they sneak up behind a corner they are partially blocking the player from moving briefly

not sure if its just my system or what

windows vista business edition

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm late to the game on this. I managed to get the program running (great work, btw) but I'm getting no music at any time. I can't get it in the menu, in the game or anywhere else. I've put the music wad from the original Doom64 TC both in the main folder and the music folder to no avail. Is there something I'm not doing or doing right?

Job said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm late to the game on this. I managed to get the program running (great work, btw) but I'm getting no music at any time. I can't get it in the menu, in the game or anywhere else. I've put the music wad from the original Doom64 TC both in the main folder and the music folder to no avail. Is there something I'm not doing or doing right?

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/music.html#n64

You need to download all of those .mp3s for Doom64 into the Music folder.

If you open up the config file it will tell you the file names it wants them to be, but they are already set to the same file names as those mp3s.

Mike.Reiner said:

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/music.html#n64

You need to download all of those .mp3s for Doom64 into the Music folder.

If you open up the config file it will tell you the file names it wants them to be, but they are already set to the same file names as those mp3s.

Thanks, she's working great now!

Also, I noticed a small transparency bug with some walls. It seems some colors of wall textures are always transparent, meaning the sky can be shown through them.

Here's a few examples.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tarvis/screenshot/540638652529932089/?tab=public
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tarvis/screenshot/540638652540331094/?tab=public
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tarvis/screenshot/540638652540332928/?tab=public

Might be related to the way how transparency is mapped, e.g. if color (0; 0; 0) is seen as transparent pixel color or palette index.

I know another game in development where a DDS converter misinteprets lower mipmap levels this way, you can't enforce DXT1 format without transparency, it always assumes DXT1a with binary transparency and uses the darkest color per default.

MG_Man said:

Also, I noticed a small transparency bug with some walls. It seems some colors of wall textures are always transparent, meaning the sky can be shown through them.

Here's a few examples.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tarvis/screenshot/540638652529932089/?tab=public
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tarvis/screenshot/540638652540331094/?tab=public
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tarvis/screenshot/540638652540332928/?tab=public

Cool, I'll check them out whenever I have the chance. It's a simple fix too.

If it helps, I think they're both the same texture. I haven't noticed this on any others.

Read through the first three pages trying to see if this had been reported before. No reports, then I got lazy. Sorry if it HAS been reported.

Loaded up the new version in Win7 x64. Got to the copyright screen, the main loading screen, hit a button to bring up my menu. Screen started flickering between the load screen and a single line of text saying some error message. I quit out using the red X button since nothing else responded. Fortunately, the console caught the error:

********* ERROR *********
W_GetNumForName: BUTTONS not found!
Does that make any sense to you at all?

I ran it in 1280X800 (16:10) resolution, windowed.

Edit:

Whoops, wait a minute. I hit "Options" on the menu, THEN it started doing that. Error persisted after I used config.cfg to change my binds a bit and set the resolution to 1920X1080 fullscreen.

Edit 2:

And now it's working perfectly. It even recognized my XBOX 360 controller right off (though I can't tell it NOT to so I can't set up my keyboard controls o.O). Weird...

I'm having a minor issue with that Doom Builder 64 you released a while back (in the old thread). The macro editor does not work at all, and if I save the map without adding a macro, it can't reload it (still). ?!