Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traversd

e1mX style maps/mappacks with 3dfloors

I imagine there are quite a few but doing a search on idgames for "gzdoom", "edge" or "3d floor" is picking up a lot of noise.

I'm looking for SP maps/mappacks made for edge or gzdoom (or other ports that support 3dfloors, portals etc) that keep largely to the KDITD style - not too detailed. Kinda like the "doom the way id did" thread I guess, but mainly e1mX style, and with the added feature of 3dfloors.

Cheers,
Travers

The vertex density in the maps is also too high to fit the description.

I doubt any maps like this have been made and the majority of tech base maps with 3D floors/portals have almost nothing in common with classic E1 maps. But I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Xtroose said:

The vertex density in the maps is also too high to fit the description.

I doubt any maps like this have been made and the majority of tech base maps with 3D floors/portals have almost nothing in common with classic E1 maps. But I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Huh. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. When someone thinks of making a classic style map they generally look to keep largely within the confines of the original maps features. Then when someone looks to re-invent the classic style with "modern features" they up the detail and the style is also updated such that it loses that "classic" feel.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see some maps made like a classic e1mX map but with 3D floors. I imagine that if id had this feature available back then they might use it sparingly, mainly for floor sections like bridges and ledges or basic room-over-room stuff, almost as if it had a performance overhead that meant you used it to enhance the layout, but not necessarily the detail. I see a lot of maps that utilize 3d floors heavily for things like guard rails and overhead detail like pipes, hanging crates etc but as stated above that then diverges heavily from the style of the original e1mX maps. It got me thinking last night - does e1 even use crate textures? (nope: looking at the doom1.wad they are not included).

I might have a look at making something like this when I get some mapping credits back.

Travers

traversd said:

I imagine that if id had this feature available back then they might use it sparingly, mainly for floor sections like bridges and ledges or basic room-over-room stuff, almost as if it had a performance overhead that meant you used it to enhance the layout, but not necessarily the detail.

I think the Quake techbases are pretty much like that.

I think the closest you can get to retaining the classic look while using a port's advanced features is Genesis of Descent - although it's still an extremely high detail map, albeit not close to what KDiZD does, of course. But it got no 3D floors, only a few stacked sector portals.

BTW, I would really love to see a well made mapset that retains the classic look and feel while expanding in the third dimension.

Not exactly KDiTD style, but Demon Eclipse episode 1 map may fit the bill, now that I think about it. Eriance qualifies them as minimalistic, which is debatable, but they do have a certain simplicity of design; even if they're larger and more detailed than the id maps.

traversd said:

I imagine that if id had this feature available back then they might use it sparingly, mainly for floor sections like bridges and ledges or basic room-over-room stuff, almost as if it had a performance overhead that meant you used it to enhance the layout, but not necessarily the detail.

I think this is the best idea for GZDoom/ZDoom, for now. Complex 3D floors slowed down GZDoom on my old computer, and now that they are working in ZDoom, they need even more performance considerations. I'd like to see maps that have routes leading above/below earlier areas of play, without huge complex buildings full of 3D floors.