Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archi

[Release]Whitemare - megawad for limit removing port

Whitemare - 18-level megawad for limit removing source ports (was designed for them) by Russian Doom Community. Wad's theme - winter. A part of levels was made in a speedmapping contest in 2010's winter, after it - some maps were slightly remade. Enjoy it, and hope that you'll like it!

Screenshots:

Link to download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4xtpqi

Whoa! random megawad out of nowhere! ill have to budget some time to play this.

Good work, my compatriots! I just took a look at all these levels, and I must say it's a well-built, original, creative mapset. There are some crude old-school design elements, but also some modern, tasteful, spectacular architecture, especially in later maps. For example, I really like these colorful, detailed, atmospheric indoor areas (MAP03, MAP11, etc) and ingeniously designed Christmas trees.

Hopefully this wad will get a good speed-demo attention.

Got a ways into the first level, was going real well with full health and plenty of armor. then i saw a revenant teleport in ahead of me and heard something happening behind me. red screen, dead, struck by two revenant rockets from the clump that had teleported in behind me as well and insta-fired.

I quit, with no desire to return again. But I have this general rule against playing wads that have cheapo revenants or chaingunners that pop out behind you without any warning. I'm sure most are more tolerant of such gameplay mechanics, as it has often been utilized in custom WADs ever since there was such a thing as a custom WAD. The 7 minutes I saw were great :) I really liked the dark cave feel to it, and the snow-covered trees. Detailing was innovative without being gaudy, and sizes of fighting areas was just right.

NT

NaturalTvventy said:

I quit, with no desire to return again. But I have this general rule against playing wads that have cheapo revenants or chaingunners that pop out behind you without any warning.

L_O_L :P
WADs that DONT utilize cheap revenant and/or chaingunner traps fucking sucks. They are made for women. Be a man; jerk off to cheap chaingunner traps.

NaturalTvventy said:

Got a ways into the first level, was going real well with full health and plenty of armor. then i saw a revenant teleport in ahead of me and heard something happening behind me. red screen, dead, struck by two revenant rockets from the clump that had teleported in behind me as well and insta-fired.

Surprisingly you have to change the typical run&gun style of play for this wad. Its one of the few wads that made me think about how the hell should I get through the next room. Especially that Mastermind in first level. Its hard and unfair and thats what I like about it.

Looks really nice, I always like wintry/northern settings in games (ironically I just started replaying Icewind Dale 2) and the weather here in Nebraska is currently fitting for this. :P

Not sure when I'll get to playing this but it's definitely next in my Doom playing queue.

NaturalTvventy said:

Is it even possible to die from two revenant rockets if you've got full health and "plenty of" armor?

jerrysheppy said:

Is it even possible to die from two revenant rockets if you've got full health and "plenty of" armor?

A revenant missile can do up to 80% damage. A green armor reduces your healthlosses by 1/3, and a blue armor by 1/2. So with enough bad luck, losing 100% health from two missiles is indeed possible if your armor is green.

NaturalTvventy said:

Those revenants are very easy to take care of if you keep moving and stay alert.

WIN-TER!
Can't play it right now, gonna try it out when I'm home, from what I see I'm going to love this - it could use a better, different (more winter-ish) sky texture however.

Not to be an ass but I removed the music in my personal version because there were too many nu metal tracks in there. Either that or ripped from other DooM wads. The levels are great with tons of action, and great architecture so that's what still counts.

Archi said:

There's only thrash and Viking metal!
Btw, tracks really fit to maps.

Precisely the stuff that rarely works as MIDI.

I don't like big wide open. Specter use tired/cliched; no surprise player. Uninteresting gameplay. *yawn*

Okay, that's a bit harsh. I'll give it another try. Points for no hype the project.

OOne thing I seem to notice about the russian doom community is they like really big maps and have no problem with the repeated tiling of textures. Especially in that first shot, it gets horrendously worse in an exponentially larger snow crater a couple rooms after the one that shot takes place in.

Chainsaw in the starting room of MAP01 is a super plus though.

=================
"Not to be an ass but I removed the music in my personal version because there were too many nu metal tracks in there."
=================

Archi, I warned you about the metal-style music. It doesn't fit to winter-levels...

To be fair, if it were all Christmas songs/carols MIDI-fied, it'd feel a bit too lighthearted, and if it were all the more standard snow/ice sort of light orchestral stuff it'd be more suited for a horror or slow map.

As I've not played these I'm not sure which is closer, but a bit of metal is fine in Doom, if done tastefully rather than just "I love [this band] so I'll put it in to loop for ages as a poor-quality MIDI".

Hm, noone is getting any errors with this WAD? I have a shitload of undefined textures and missing things.

ellmo
Which map has missing things? I tested it on Eternity Engine and seen nothing wrong(Prboom+ also, but eternity has console with errors).