Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
letsgogiants98

Regarding Demo Playbacks

Ok I'm not sure which forum this belongs in. I'm assuming that its a "general" question. Anyway:

I have seen videos on youtube where people replay demos that they have recorded that mimic the original demos included in the wad's themselves. For example if you start doom 2, eventually a demo will play. Somehow, players are able to have their demos replay the same way as the stock demos. When I replay a demo that I have recorded (using the command line in prboom) it goes right into the game play and not into the beginning screen.

So basically if you are following what I am saying, my question is this:
How to I get my demos to be played back like they were the stock demos that came with the wad.

Thanks.

To do this, you need to name the demo DEMO1.LMP and place it inside your wad with one of the many wad editing utilities.

It will then play as the first demo in the loop of demos that play automatically, instead of the one inside the iwad. You can also name demos DEMO2.LMP, DEMO3.LMP and DEMO4.LMP, and put them inside the wad.

What they're doing (and I'm one of them) is inserting the demo into the IWAD or PWAD as DEMO1, so it plays like one of the in-game demos when you start the game and leave it alone. I use XWE for doing this, there are other tools though.

Grazza said:

To do this, you need to name the demo DEMO1.LMP and place it inside your wad with one of the many wad editing utilities.

It will then play as the first demo in the loop of demos that play automatically, instead of the one inside the iwad. You can also name demos DEMO2.LMP, DEMO3.LMP and DEMO4.LMP, and put them inside the wad.

No!

You don't need a .wad :>

Just name the file DEMO1.LMP and do this:

> yourportnamehere -file demo1.lmp
All sane ports allow adding single-file lumps into the wad directory, even vanilla DOOM. I've been trying to spread the word and save people some work for years but somehow the word never gets around 6_9

Quasar said:

You don't need a .wad :>

I can't work out if you are being deliberately obtuse, but I presume he has a wad and wants to include an internal demo with it. In that case, putting it inside the wad is the natural solution.

The OP wants to make a YT video out of a demo, the video starting with the title screen rather than the demo. Quasar's way is an easier way to accomplish that.

Never_Again said:

The OP wants to make a YT video out of a demo, the video starting with the title screen rather than the demo. Quasar's way is an easier way to accomplish that.

Yes, exactly. :) No use embedding it just for making a video when you can already -file it as-is.