Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
darkreaver

Texture issues in software vs. OpenGL

I`ve encountered some problems in a map I`m working on (probably the same problems in lots of the other maps also, but this is where I noticed it first, so).

Look at these comp-textures and switch textures:

http://img513.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201101211.png/
http://img413.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201101211.png/

You see? Its not supposed to be like that. Its not like that in 3d-mode in DB and its not like that when playing in OpenGL.

See here:

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201101211.png/

Whats up with that? I`ve never seen that before, but I just recently switched to software, soooo I dunno :)

ps: in 3d-mode in DB it looks exactly like it looks in those OpenGL shots.

How tall are those textures? If you want them to tile vertically in software, they should be 128-pixel-tall.

Ok, I see. They are 64x72.

Kinda decieving the way it looks in DB though :P Unless there are some option for that somewhere?

Tiling issue. Zdoom can only properly vertically tile textures that have heights that are powers of 2 (16, 64, 128, 256, ect...). I vaguely remember hearing that Boom can tile anything that's a multiple of 8, and vanilla can only tile things that are 128 pixels tall.

this one doesnt seem to be much of a problem. what I do is uncheck "snap to grid", scroll in extremely close and make a sector over the line with the switch texture, with a width of 1. now in 3d mode just lower this "new" sector down to the top of the switch, and give sidedefs, making it look like theres two textures on one line.

Better solution to putting two textures on one line: Raise the floor to the same height as the ceiling, set upper and lower unpegged on the 2-sided line, and put the switch as the lower texture. Now mark the 2-sided line (the one with the switch) Secret so it appears as 1-sided in the automap, and mark the 1-sided lines in the 0-height sector behind it as Hidden so they don't appear in the automap at all.

esselfortium said:

Better solution to putting two textures on one line: Raise the floor to the same height as the ceiling, set upper and lower unpegged on the 2-sided line, and put the switch as the lower texture. Now mark the 2-sided line (the one with the switch) Secret so it appears as 1-sided in the automap, and mark the 1-sided lines in the 0-height sector behind it as Hidden so they don't appear in the automap at all.

.... I tried to help -_-

WTFFFF???? :(

disentomb`s solution is way out of the question and essels I didnt understand anything of :P WTF!
Also the switch is a upper texture and the floor is a lift that will lower.

I`m just wondering: what is that black vertical line? Why is the switch texture cut off on the upper one of them? (sorry, bad english) and why does it look alright in DB 3d mode? Is there any settings I can change in DB to make 3d mode display textures as they will be shown in software mode?

Is this happening just because its software? Case closed? So I need to make sectors in heights that corresponds to the texture sizes?

Again: WTF

If its just a case of "thats just how it is" then its OK, but it annoys the shit out of me, because its not like this with any other textures SEEMINGLY!

In Doom, textures not of 128 height cannot tile vertically without displaying something called "Tutti-fruitti". This is basically where parts of the wall are filled with a bunch of junk pixels and lines, and usually parts of the original texture. This is specific to Doom's software renderer, and ZDoom partially retains this behavior.

The switch texture in question is 72 pixels tall. This is not 128 pixels tall, so it won't display correctly in vanilla Doom. It is also not a power of two, so it won't display correctly in ZDoom.

Your solutions are:

1) Use a different texture that fits on the wall. Any textures a height of 128 will be fine for this purpose (and will look fine in vanilla and ZDoom).

2) Make the texture fit by making the wall the same height as the texture, or shorter than the texture.

3) Create a custom TEXTURE1 lump for your PWAD to create a texture that looks like the switch texture, but where the texture is actually 128-tall. You can directly modify the texture, set it's height to 128, and put some "shawn" behind it (for a switch texture, you need to modify both the ON and OFF variations).

For further illustration, I've outlined the "junk" portion of the wall:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/825/tutti.png

The little section here that I've highlighted will look differently depending on which source port you use. Some ports might tile it "correctly", others might display randomly colored pixels, and ZDoom usually fills empty junk areas with black pixels. Notice that sometimes the junk area will contain parts of the original texture.

Note that if you were to use #2 or #3, you might want to avoid using any Y-offsets on the wall, because those can make tutti-fruitti appear, even if the texture fits perfectly on the wall.

You can see that in ZDoom the garbage area corresponds to the same texture, but shifted by one pixel to the left, and the last column is black. Why does this happen? In order to draw 128-pixel-tall columns, the renderer reads past the end of the current 72-pixel-tall column and grabs the first 56 pixels from the next. When there is no next column at all is where it's filled with black.

If this is meant to be a lift, you should make little niches in which the switches will reside.

Gez said:

If this is meant to be a lift, you should make little niches in which the switches will reside.

That is not possible. Dont wanna try to explain, but believe me :P

Anyway, thanks alot! I understand alot more now. So that junk area is actually tutti-frutti, but it looks "better" because its ZDoom/Skulltag? Ait!

I could just resize the sectors in question this time, but its good to know for later!

darkreaver said:

WTFFFF???? :(

disentomb`s solution is way out of the question

what did I say thats way out of the question? it doesnt matter what that black verticle line is if you get rid of the upper switch texture with that metal texture on the sides of the "lower" switch.

sorry I didnt help... im new