Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slik

My First Wad Ever

Can somebody play this wad and tell me how to fix some problems there are with it? First off, the problem I'm having with Doom builder is I don't know how to make it so you have to "use" to open a door, instead of just walking through it as if there's nothing there.

Here's the wad anyways. Hosted on my own site:
http://fpshax.com/doom/Try%20this%20on%20nightmare.wad

Please let me know asap!! Much appreciated from the best DooM community in the world!

To "use" a door, all you would need to do is go to the linedef properties, and select an action number for the linedef (the linedef being one side of the door). Do the same thing for the other linedef (or side) of the door, and you have a door the opens and closes. For general things, usually you want to use action number 1 (DR Door Open Wait Close [also monsters]). However you can change up the actions by using the drop down menu or the "Edit Action" button right next to the drop down menu. As far as the WAD goes, I'll take a look at it in a few minutes and let you know what I think.

EDIT: Ok, so I tried it out, and it's not really my style. It's too much like a slaughter map, which I'm not a fan of. That being said, it really wasn't too bad, so if that was your goal, it should be somewhat more difficult. I first played on HMP, then I did start Nightmare (as the title suggested), but as there's no exit, there's not really any point. With the monsters respawning, it would just be a never ending cycle.

As far as the map layout itself, as you said, the doors need work. You can also change the textures around making it more interesting looking rather than the default textures. There was also a Former Human stuck in a wall (in the area just past the Hell Knight).

Seeker_of_Truth said:

To "use" a door, all you would need to do is go to the linedef properties, and select an action number for the linedef (the linedef being one side of the door). Do the same thing for the other linedef (or side) of the door, and you have a door the opens and closes. For general things, usually you want to use action number 1 (DR Door Open Wait Close [also monsters]). However you can change up the actions by using the drop down menu or the "Edit Action" button right next to the drop down menu. As far as the WAD goes, I'll take a look at it in a few minutes and let you know what I think.

Just noticed, I put an archvile right at the beginning making it almost impossible on any difficulty -_- just deleted the Archvile.

I am familiar with linedefs, and have linedefs on all doors set; I tried editing one of the doors and changed it to lindef "1" as you recommended, and when I press space the door and the entire map moves down, and everything is distorted until I press space again, moving the door and the entire map up. Any ideas?? Thanks so much for your help so far.

Slik said:

I am familiar with linedefs, and have linedefs on all doors set; I tried editing one of the doors and changed it to lindef "1" as you recommended, and when I press space the door and the entire map moves down, and everything is distorted until I press space again, moving the door and the entire map up. Any ideas?? Thanks so much for your help so far.

I actually just realized I could have been more specific here; in general to create a door, the sector the door will be needs to be lowered to the ceiling. In other words, to make a door, the area between the door linedefs (which is the sector) needs to be lowered to the floor. Then that's when you would set the linedefs to 1, and as long as I am not forgetting anything, it should work properly then.

EDIT: When I first started mapping (which wasn't too long ago) I actually looked up some tutorials to help me out, which are found on the Doom Builder Homepage: http://www.doombuilder.com/index.php?p=tutorials This should help you out a lot.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

I actually just realized I could have been more specific here; in general to create a door, the sector the door will be needs to be lowered to the ceiling. In other words, to make a door, the area between the door linedefs (which is the sector) needs to be lowered to the floor. Then that's when you would set the linedefs to 1, and as long as I am not forgetting anything, it should work properly then.

So you're saying I need to go into Sectors Mode, double click the sector with the door I'm trying to get to work, edit ceiling height to "0" and floor height to "0" ?? Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly, I'm brand new to WAD making..

If that's what you're saying I should do, I tried that and this is the result I got:
http://i54.tinypic.com/25i6rv4.png

Slik said:

So you're saying I need to go into Sectors Mode, double click the sector with the door I'm trying to get to work, edit ceiling height to "0" and floor height to "0" ?? Sorry if I'm not understanding correctly, I'm brand new to WAD making..

If that's what you're saying I should do, I tried that and this is the result I got:
http://i54.tinypic.com/25i6rv4.png

That's partly it, but your door only has one linedef to it. The reason the picture looked like it did is because you lowered the whole area. To make a door, you need 2 linedefs, one for each side of the door. In between the 2 linedefs is the sector in which you lower to 0. That's what makes the door "solid." When you look at in in DB, it'll appear red with the black exclamation points, meaning there's no texture on it, and when viewed in game, it'll make a HOM effect. From there, you select both sides and right-click. That brings up the Edit linedef(s) menu (assuming you're in 3-D mode. In 2-D mode, make sure it's in linedefs mode and right-click on the line.) From there, choose your action, and then when you're done with that, click the Sidedefs tab up top. That allows you to put a texture on it. Hopefully then you should have your door.

I'd be interested to see someone's first WAD and offer comments, but I think I'll wait until others have helped you sort out the purely technical difficulties. Do post an updated version when you do!

Much can be learned by opening the official maps in an editor and seeing exactly what settings are present on a door for it to operate the way it does.

iori said:

Much can be learned by opening the official maps in an editor and seeing exactly what settings are present on a door for it to operate the way it does.

Yeah, that's true. I've opened up both Ultimate Doom and Doom II in Doom Builder, and it's really helped me figure out things I normally wouldn't have on my own. Raising stairs for example. I just figured out how to do it recently, and it took me forever to put together. I opened up e1m3 and basically got it right then and there.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

That's partly it, but your door only has one linedef to it. The reason the picture looked like it did is because you lowered the whole area. To make a door, you need 2 linedefs, one for each side of the door. In between the 2 linedefs is the sector in which you lower to 0. That's what makes the door "solid." When you look at in in DB, it'll appear red with the black exclamation points, meaning there's no texture on it, and when viewed in game, it'll make a HOM effect. From there, you select both sides and right-click. That brings up the Edit linedef(s) menu (assuming you're in 3-D mode. In 2-D mode, make sure it's in linedefs mode and right-click on the line.) From there, choose your action, and then when you're done with that, click the Sidedefs tab up top. That allows you to put a texture on it. Hopefully then you should have your door.

I'm brand new to this community and people like you make me happy I started dooming!! You've helped me tons throughout this and I finally managed to get my doors in. But, I still have a few rookie problems..

jerrysheppy said:

I'd be interested to see someone's first WAD and offer comments, but I think I'll wait until others have helped you sort out the purely technical difficulties. Do post an updated version when you do!

This isn't quite closed to finished yet, but I'll definitely be posting it up here for criticism!

iori said:

Ah, very good idea. Took your advice as well.

This is the new problem I'm having.. I have the doors in. And I can open/close them. The problem is, they start off opened. I select 1, "door open wait close", and I understand why the door is starting off opened, but I can't seem to find the right option for the door to start off closed and for it to be able to be opened? Thanks so much you guys.
Here is the newest WAD if you need to take a look
http://fpshax.com/doom/wads/test.wad

Ok you need to bring the ceiling of the door sector down to the floor height. The floor being 0, so must the ceiling be as well, initially. This is your closed door.

The "DR door open wait close" action only raises the ceiling of a sector to 4 units below the lowest ceiling of the adjacent sectors, waits 4 seconds, then drops the ceiling back down to the floor. So the ceiling height of sector 4 in your case should be 0. It will raise to 124 when you activate the door, as 128 is the height of the surrounding sectors. Make sense?

Awesome.. Thanks both of you so much for your help.. I knew there was something missing, so I lowered both door sectors to 0 in height and that did it.

Next time you guys see a post of mine, it'll be of my first wad!! Thanks so much you guys, I'd be nowhere without yall