• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
armadosia

Armadosia megawad

armadosia sucks ?
may be.
may be i was not a good programmer,designer,musicien (lol?) 7 years ago.
yes i started building armadosia in 2003 to end in 2005 with only my littles fingers and my mind ,and thanks god,even in those days,i receive mails wich say good job.

It certainly doesn't suck! I'm currently on MAP10 and so far I loved everything with the exception, maybe, of MAP06. Those big animated walls... uuurgh... Ah, and some chaingunners on MAP05 are unfair: it's almost impossible to shoot them from the street but they can attack you very freely.

Arma Kero, are you still interested in mapping? I think I would like to see more maps from you.

This was split off from here, for the curious who missed it.

The level of criticism raised against it (overall pretty mild) does not seem to me to warrant a five years late reaction, but hey.

Eh? I'm not sure what's going on here. Most of the comments I've seen toward the wad seem to be on the positive side.

Armadosia was excellent, apart from a few quite easily fixed issues.

Many maps had pistol-start playability issues. For instance, there might have been plenty of ammo on a map, but no weapon on the map that could use much of it. Simple solution: place the relevant weapons somewhere vaguely near the start position. They don't need to be out in the open, just reachable by some sort of feasible route. A little more health together with them wouldn't do any harm to the wad either.

Although the wad doesn't use port-specific features, a few maps rely on behaviour that isn't supported by all ports. This shouldn't be hard to fix so that it works in pretty much any limit-extending port/exe. It's easiest if I quote from a message I sent years ago:

On map05, I got trapped in Sector 505. The door (Sector 509, tag 48) closed behind me, and there was no way (as far as could tell) to open it (this was after about 40 minutes of carefully fighting my way through this tricky map). I'm not sure what caused this, and when I tried to test it (running through the map with no monsters, etc.) I couldn't get it to happen again. If you can't identify what the problem is, then you could provide the player with a way to reopen that door just in case it happens again.

On map07 there is a serious bug. Some ports have changed the way tag 667 works. If you play this map with a purely limit-removing port, then the walkway to the exit only rises half of the intended difference. I believe this is because the way it works is to rise by the height of the lower texture. OK, there are ways for the player to get around this, but they involve tricks that aren't guaranteed to work (archie jump, or killing the last two arachnotrons almost simultaneously) and/or make maxkills difficult, and if you don't know about the problem in advance, you're likely to be left trapped in the map. It would make most sense to change the mechanism so that it works in as many exes as possible.

There may well be other such issues, but I didn't continue checking, as it seemed that there was no interest in releasing an amended wad.

But if you asked the community for assistance, I'm sure you'd get a list of things that could readily be fixed. I think quite a number of people liked this wad in many respects.

So far I had problems with ammo only on MAP09. Very serious problems though: I still can't finish it without saves and skipping many monsters.

As for bugs, I can add that teleport lines in sector 148 on MAP08 should be WR instead of W1. I got stuck in the outdoor area because of that.

I remember a lot of texture misalignments and HOMs, particularly in the early levels...but the reason they bothered me is that I loved the megawad so much. I can't think of any other wad that's nearly so big and unpolished that made me want to play all the way through (and replay too) in spite of its flaws.

What in the hell is this? I've only progressed up to MAP06 and these are some of the most well thought out and aestheticly gripping Doom maps I've ever played. Rambo combat with devious traps and a thorough challenge, it's like an unofficial sequel to Vile Flesh, more importantly wow are the levels huge and immersive! I love the backtracking and constant traps, 01-03 took 48 minutes alone. I've never heard this mentioned anywhere and only stumbled across it by chance, this desperately needs a coop fix to do it justice, incidently is Rf_Xen still working on that?

Bloodite Krypto said:

incidently is Rf_Xen still working on that?

Yes, but he wants to contact the author and get permission before releasing it. And unfortunately Arma Kero doesn't respond...

Bloodite Krypto said:

What in the hell is this?

Couldn't you have waited just three years and eleven months more before posting, in order to uphold the Armadosia tradition of five years bumps? I'm afraid a single year and a month falls dramatically short.

Bloodite Krypto said:

this desperately needs a coop fix to do it justice, incidently is Rf_Xen still working on that?

If you want try armadosia in co-op (and other co-op broken wads like Strain), you might consider trying gzscoredoom (built from gzdoom). The reason I suggest this, is that I added a feature specifically for wads like armadosia, where a player can use zdoom's co-op spycam to warp to another player. Helpful in situations where one or more players get stuck out.

From what I have played so far, really have enjoyed Armadosia, not a bad wad at all.
Hell Awakened is another recent megawad (different in gameplay style) that I have really enjoyed. Panned by some for technical reasons, but fun nonetheless.