Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

What do you do when you are doom bored?

Can't finish mini-plutonia
Can't finish my megawad
Can't find a person to make a project with... CALL ME!

Reached map28 in tnt
Reached map18 in pl2

Dying waiting for Plutonia Revisited
Not making maps for DTWIDD right now

I used to map for Serious Sam, now back to Doom

WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU CAN'T FINISH ANYTHING IN DOOM, EVEN AFTER YOU STARTED A PROJECT?

I have a big problem about making projects, i mean seriously, all i published is Redoom, and it is a shitty wad when my mapping skill was garbish. Too late for projects, I could have finished at least 4 maps for Plutonia Revisited. Mini plutonia is a wad by me meant to be 8 maps, finished map01 and gave up.
How do you get yourself out of boredom situation?
(I think i metoined this before)

forget about doom for awhile and do something entirely different (I like to go play in the snow for example). Eventually your desire for Doom will creep back.

Do something else. Take a walk. Drive around. Find new music. Find another hobby. Think of the best way to organize your fridge. Just damn do something else for a few days or weeks.

I work, go hang with bitches, and drink. Actually I don't play doom that much, on account of doing the other three things. (and also troll forums)

slam QuakeLive noobs face ingame
hang around with friends
try to learn growling without sounding like my friends cat
maybe blow/burn something up, who knows?

Join a vocal jazz group. Singing walking bass lines ("Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom etc.") always gets me back in the mood.

I try out games I haven't tried yet, realize none of them are as good as Doom, and go back to Doom full of inspiration.

That or watch anime.

Krispavera said:

Push ups.

My personal record is 82 in one line. And YES, I was doing 'em while not being in mood for mapping something for my WADs.

Creaphis said:

Singing walking bass lines ("Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom etc.") always gets me back in the mood.

Doom and mood are palindroms! :D

Release early and often. Feedback can motivate you... as long as there are any playtesters who care.

Aside from that, push ups.

RjY:

You absolutely can kill everything in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. It's just that sometimes you have to run away and come back later. One of most important skills is learning when to run away. Even Conan the Barbarian ran away many times when faced with overwhelming enemies. It's just D&D barbarians who are too stoopid to run away.

Just keep mapping, ingnore your boredom. Make silly stuff in Doom Builder, things that are not meant to be serious. Play other wads and draw inspiration from that. Remake a original doom map from scrath to jumpstart your motivation, ideas, etc.

Cell said:

My personal record is 82 in one line. And YES, I was doing 'em while not being in mood for mapping something for my WADs.

That's pretty hardcore man. I can do 50 before it gets tough but I usually just stick to sets of 30 or 35.

It depends on the kind of pushups you make. I used to make 120ish, but they were no better than 90 degree in my elbows. Now I'm touching the ground with my chin while keeping my back and neck straight, and it's considerably harder. I barely manage 5 sets of 15 with good wind. Either way, people are telling me I got taller, so it's noticable.

I sometimes have the same problem. the best thing is to drop all the doom stuff and start doing something else...

L.

When I'm bored of mapping, I listen to metal, watch tv, play DooM (much more fun than mapping), or grab a beer.

One way I learnt to actually finish maps is to work on one at a time. It seems that your trying to do too much at once, especially if you can't finish anything.

I take a break. I could never have gotten as far as I have in my project without taking long breaks. Working on the same hobby project for too long can make it seem tedious and tedium is a main ingredient for stagnation. I'll take 3 to 4 week long breaks and spend that time playing new games or doing something else that is fun. After a while I can't wait to get back to work and sometimes I even make myself wait a couple days longer just so that I feel excited once i'm finally back to it.

Just leave Doom alone for a while. Take a few weeks or even a few months off from making maps or mods or playing them. That always helps me out when I can't do anything creative with it.