Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magnum Express

Multiple Floors

Depends which method you're aiming for, which itself depends on which sourceport you plan on using and how complex you intend for your room-over-room structures to be.

I use a combination of Skulltag and ZDoom. The configuration I use for DB2 is Skulltag (Doom in Hexen) format. The number of stacked floors I would like to have at minimum is 3.

Magnum Express said:

Is it possible to make a map have multiple floors (one stacked upon another)? If so, how do you do it?

cant you just use 3d floors?

It's a line special that transfers the properties of a dummy sector to another sector to construct a 3D floor. You put the special on a linedef in the dummy sector, set the dummy sector's properties, set the line specials arguments, and tie them together. Read the article for how to do this and how you need to set it all up. For starters, you're going to need to use a Hexen-format or UDMF map configuration when starting DoomBuilder.

Magnum Express said:

So it's like making deep water?

yes, it is the same principle. it works just fine in db2 so dont worry

Magnum Express said:

I use a combination of Skulltag and ZDoom. The configuration I use for DB2 is Skulltag (Doom in Hexen) format. The number of stacked floors I would like to have at minimum is 3.

If you did not know this before, 3D floors do not work with ZDoom.

Usually, an example map can help a lot.

It's a 12 storey staircase.
While it may look a bit overwhelming, it is quite simple.
Just keep track of the id numbers.

For single-player at least, you should give the latest GZDoom a try. I mean, go here. Skulltag is based on ZDoom 2.3.1; so basically everything new to the 2.4, 2.5, or future branch is unavailable in Skulltag and no one can tell when ST will catch up.

Skulltag disables 3D floors in competitive gamemodes. The very latest builds of GZDoom have 3D floors even in software mode.

Magnum Express said:

I did give GZDoom a try, but I don't see how it helps.

make a sector where you plan on starting in, and place the "player 1 start" in that sector. Make a dummy sector anywhere around the playable sector you have, and give preferable hights and sidedefs, floor and ceiling textures. now raise or lower this dummy sector according to the coordinates you want it to match for the playable sector. right click any one of the lines on the dummy sector and go down to sector actions, and "sector 3d floor". choose solid for the first argument and set an alpha of 255 so there is no misallignment (to my knowledge, correct me if im wrong). now, assuming you have a tag of 1 for the playable sector, set the tag for the dummy line you've chosen to 1 as well.

I tried to help =/

I have three questions to ask about disentomb's process, and they may sound dumb:

1. Does the dummy sector have to have the same size and shape of the "playable" sector?

2. Is it possible to go inside of the 3D floor?

3. If so, how do you do it?

Heres alittle map I made for you. it displays some 3d platforms with doom builder 2 and latest skulltag as tester.

just open it up in db2 to see what I did to make them.

no problem. now for multiple floors, make the tag of your playable sector the same as your dummy sector, so the dummy sector acts as a ceiling and a floor for the area provided above. for more than two floors, just make more dummy sectors higher than each other, and give all of them the same tag, so they all transfer to the same playable sector you desire. however, there isnt really a simple way to get yourself on every floor, so be creative at this point. I suppose the mapspot gravity thingtype would be useful in this case, but im pretty shallow with using all of that, so I cant help you there =\