Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Smith

The 18th Annual Cacowards

Yes, Valkiriforce aka Michael Jan Krizik as Mapper of 2011 For 2TWO2 excellent complete megawad this year; Doom Core, Reverie. I really like the fact that I am mot alone to see it this way...

with the year quickly winding down I want to make sure I got my say in, so here goes:

Double Impact: Extremely fun, levels were large and explorable but even so the action never let up. Bonus points for making the gameplay so much fun even with Doom 1's limited monster variety. Also, I love the outdoor lighting.

Jenesis: I suppose this vote is contingent on a final release before the end of the year. If not I'll just vote for it next year. The maps look and play nice, and the music is consistently good. If I had to fault it for something I'd say the switch count is a bit excessive; but that wasn't enough to deter me from blazing through these levels and having a lot of fun doing so.

Plutonia Revisited: Extremely fun and challenging.

Icebound: one of the most ambitious maps I've ever seen in a Doom engine game. Even though it's only one map, it really captured the feel of being an epic adventure.

I might nominate some more but I haven't gotten to play through some of the other big releases this year yet...

Mapper Of The Year - Skillsaw

WADs for Nomination:
-Reverie
-Aliens: Colonial Marines TC

I shall update soon. Gotta play more of 'em.

Being mentioned in this thread once is enough for a wad to be considered. All the calls for seconds and "official" nominations and such are pretty superfluous, I think.

Keep in mind that awards aren't handed out based on a community vote, and that this thread is only to provide a list of potential to work with when the Cacowards are written.

esselfortium said:

Being mentioned in this thread once is enough for a wad to be considered. All the calls for seconds and "official" nominations and such are pretty superfluous, I think.

Keep in mind that awards aren't handed out based on a community vote, and that this thread is only to provide a list of potential to work with when the Cacowards are written.

With that in mind, I have moved a number of "non-nomination" posts to the discussion thread.

esselfortium said:

Just putting this out there, from John Smith's original post:

John Smith said:

...I'm going to weigh potential nominees based not only on how good I think they are, but how many reccomendations they get. So feel free to mention multiple wads in your post, even if someone else has already suggested them previously. Mostly I'm doing this so as to eliminate any questions of bias, these are the Doomworld Cacowards, and so they're going to end up looking like what Doomworld likes. So speak up!

If you would prefer to keep all the secondary nominations in the discussion thread, that seems reasonable, but unless John Smith has changed his mind, community opinion will be a deciding factor.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's fair, but I still don't feel that it's appropriate for MegaDoomer or anyone to request someone second or third a wad they like. It sort of defeats the meaning of the second person recommending it.

Can the forum support some sort of poll where you can put in a free text field value or select a previously submitted value? that way you'll see right at the top of the thread what's nominated, and how many times.

-t

trooper077 said:

Doomguy 2000 Warzone : Worst Wad. Make it happen so MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, We'll never have to see any more creations from his hands

Got a link to it?

Final slew of nominations on my mind:

Khorus' Speedy Shit - Granted, I made a map for this, but I would have nominated it for the other 31. Great, small-style design that I've come to love so much.

Lunatic - Skillsaw. Fresh feeling thanks to a rather unique setting and a real joy to play. Unlike others, I found the music more entertaining than abrasive.

Jensis - Jimmy91. Overall good design, even if the gameplay at times felt a bit shaky. The third edition shows a marked improvement over the other two, imo.

Im going to join the crowd and say either Doom Core or Reverie deserve a Cacoward (and valkiriforce probably should be Mapper of the Year too)... but I genuinely can't say which one out of the two I prefer - they're both very good, but I can point to parts in both that didn't like. Possibly award both if they're both clear enough of the competition?

Mapper of the year: Phobus (not caused by him being the above poster). Guts tell me he seems to be mapping and/or playtesting lots of projects lately.

Just a final 2 cents here, but I think that Jenesis and Reverie are both equally worthy of a cacoward, even if they are similar, and it'd be a shame if either of them missed out.

And out of the 3 Heretic wads, my final nomination would go to Chris Lutz' Ice Bound for being the most epic Heretic map ever made!

I think that'll count as a 2012 WAD because It's going to be released on the 10th.

I'd like to nominate Khorus' kssht.wad. I'd also like to nominate Khorus as Mapper of the Year for getting a megawad this fun out so fast.

[EDIT] Heh, Jenesis seems to have also peeked in the archive. I'd like to nominate that as well. :)