Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

acknowledgement to DOS FPS games

why isn't there a site about all DOS FPS games?

Yeah, some aren't that recognized, but that doesnt make them any less important or fun.

Corridor 7 has been shunned for years. I actually accedently stumbled upon it. Its actually kind of fun.

And what about wolfenstein's add ons? You know, the one with the weird blue-green guns and cool enemies and textures.

I think we should pay tribute to all the games that led up to DOOM, and the games that came after. These games will be missed (ROTT, wolf3D, shadow warrior, BLOOD, quake, quake 2, power slave, heretic, hexen, catacombs 3D [the real, first ever FPS game] Duke Nukem, strafe, corridor 7)

God bless these games, every one!

I can link you to it.

This one guy recieved the game from the creators of it, and made a whole site on his own just to give the game.

unlike the last time I posted free games, this is legal

http://corridor7.tripod.com/

here you are. You can get the CD and floppy version, as well as operation body count.

Get the CD version.

EDIT: The guy providing the download removed all the features from the CD version, cd audio, cut scenes and the such. I don't see a reason to go for that version now.

Oh man, I actually used to have the CD for this. I have fond memories of it. I've got to download it and see how bad it actually is.

I must make mention of CyberMage: Darklight Awakening. It's pretty awesome if you can get a complete copy - I somehow got lucky and found one at Salvation Army for $20, including all manuals, the strategy guide (which was sold separately at the time), and the prologue comic book. Ah, back when PC games justified their huge boxes!

I've got a Corridor 7 CD too, picked it up at a dollar store about 10 years ago. I don't think I played it very much, the thing I remember most about it was needing to boot into DOS to install it.

WildWeasel said:

I must make mention of CyberMage: Darklight Awakening.

I remember drooling over that game after reading a PC Gamer review, but my lowly 486 SX 25 was no match for an Origin game so I never got it. Didn't it have drivable vehicles?

yellowmadness54 said:

I guess it is kind of a niche interest...there are tons of websites dedicated to DOS games of all genres, and they almost always have an FPS section.

One game I'd like to play again is CyClones. I only played it once and didn't beat it - IIRC it was hard to control but it had cool atmosphere and level design

yellowmadness54 said:

I can link you to it.

This one guy recieved the game from the creators of it, and made a whole site on his own just to give the game.

unlike the last time I posted free games, this is legal

here you are. You can get the CD and floppy version, as well as operation body count.

Correction; "this guy" as you call him, was given the source code and prototype of "Corridor 8: Galatic Wars" by Capstones former lead programmer, which was an in progress sequel to Corridor 7 when Intracorp and Capstone went bankrupt in 1996.

"this guy"'s site was also around before he was given the Corridor 8 materials.

Gez said:

What, no love for Maze War?

I'll make this clear, actually cause I knew this would be brought up.

Maze War does not show any weapon, despite it is in fisrt person, I dont like saying its a true FPS.

Other things (tank sims, etc) I dont as FPS either cuase you are in a vehicle...

caco_killer said:

Blood is the only reason I use DOS Box. I was so happy when that game was available on Good Old Games.

I don't reccomend playing it with DOSbox.

Just click the .exe file. Trust me it runs ALOT smoother.

But BLOOD is a very, very,very good game. The only reason I dont play it is because its insanely hard.

Yeah, where do I find LEGAL FULL Catacomb 3d? Or asking it differently, is it worth playing? Apart from the bad EGA graphics, Catacomb Abyss looked interesting and very Heretic-like.

yellowmadness54 said:

operation body count.

L.O.L.

Also, I noticed you forgot Hover Tank 3D.

yellowmadness54 said:

power slave (not that it was that good)

Stop smoking pot. Also, its not that hard to find at all. Its just very pricey (Same with Strife and Body Count for somereason.)

And you forgot Chasm: The Rift. *shakes head* Shameful

EDIT#4 or 5: And you forgot Dark Forces and Redneck Rampage! Bad list you had there.

yellowmadness54 said:

But BLOOD is a very, very,very good game. The only reason I dont play it is because its insanely hard.

I don't have a computer capable of running DOS.

Clonehunter said:

L.O.L.

Also, I noticed you forgot Hover Tank 3D.

Stop smoking pot. Also, its not that hard to find at all. Its just very pricey (Same with Strife and Body Count for somereason.)

And you forgot Chasm: The Rift. *shakes head* Shameful

EDIT#4 or 5: And you forgot Dark Forces and Redneck Rampage! Bad list you had there.

I know I missed some. My goal wasn't to list them all at once. I never mentioned Hexen Death Kings, SoD, nightmare 3D, blake stone, corridor 8 prototype, and some more.

yellowmadness54 said:

Either you don't know how to properly use DOSbox or your computer is old enough that you can't. Machines running Vista or 7 will not let you run DOS games without DOSbox. Even in XP most DOS games won't work correctly. Usually the first thing to fail is the sound drivers which require direct hardware access and can't get it.

As for Blood, it works fine in DOSbox. I didn't really like it, but it worked well. Is there something wrong with me that I don't like it?

yellowmadness54 said:

Well, there is 3D-Shooter-Legends. Despite its main purpose, the site does have some chronicle-value for FPS games including old DOS ones.

Doesn't Mobygames also list FPS games by year and/or platform? Or similar sites.

yellowmadness54 said:

I'll make this clear, actually cause I knew this would be brought up.

Maze War does not show any weapon, despite it is in fisrt person, I dont like saying its a true FPS.

Other things (tank sims, etc) I dont as FPS either cuase you are in a vehicle...

Uh...really?

FPS stands for First Person Shooter. This means two things:

1. You have a first person view, or "looking from the eyes of the character"

2. You shoot things.

Now, games where you drive a car and shoot people might be considered a combination of FPS and Racing, but the old tank games are much closer to an FPS. What if your character is in a mech? FPS. What if instead of firing a gun you shoot blobs of color out of your mouth? FPS