Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Papissama

Favorite Videogames

So many shitty games showing up on the top 50.

Also, while some of the newer ones up there are pretty good, shouldn't a game have to be more than 5 years old to even be considered a possibility for a "best of all time" list?

Xeros612 said:

So many shitty games showing up on the top 50.

Also, while some of the newer ones up there are pretty good, shouldn't a game have to be more than 5 years old to even be considered a possibility for a "best of all time" list?

And you know what's funny; Most of the gamers that contributed with their own list will think the exact same thing and hate that list. It's a pretty ironic situation but we're somewhat all part of it.

Here is my list by the way:
http://www.unikgamer.com/members/papissama-1.html

Great list I know :)

Not when you're selling ad space!

Newer games almost always seem to win here. That makes it surprising that Fallout 3 is doing better than New Vegas.

The extreme popularity of those Japanese "RPGs" seems inexplicable until I remember all my Asian friends love them. They do always seem to be over-represented on the net, though. Same goes for sites like ocremix, where Mega-Man, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario and Xenosaga have the most remixes.

I stopped scrolling down the list after I saw that the top 10 was dominated by japanese games that appeared only on Nintendo consoles. Not that I expected anything better. I think you have to go down to rank 1000 or so to find any arcade games, if you exclude Neo Geo titles or 3D era ones like Tekken.

The extreme popularity of those Japanese "RPGs" seems inexplicable until I remember all my Asian friends love them. They do always seem to be over-represented on the net, though. Same goes for sites like ocremix, where Mega-Man, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario and Xenosaga have the most remixes.

It also doesn't help that you have to register to vote on that list, else we could gather DW and give Doom, Doom II (which is at position 201 ...) etc. a good boost. We'd manage to skew it up a bit, dont'cha think?

In any case, I wonder why none ever compiled a serious list based on industry impact, number of conversions and sales. Some random JRPG that was only playable on the doomed N64 can't have been more popular than an 80s arcade hit that got converted to 10 different platforms, in its time.

Xeros612 said:

No. And you know why? Because people use their short-term memory rather than their long-term memory, and their personal experience rather than stuff they read about in history books.

So in effect, when you make such popularity contests (because that's what it is), then games older than five years are actually automatically disqualified. The "best of all time" will be only very recent titles. And you can bet that none of them will appear in a "best of all time" poll conducted five years later.

This isn't true just for video games, by the way. I remember reading in a newspaper such a test where British people were asked for the most influential British politicians in history. Tony Blair was there, Robert Walpole wasn't. That would make any historian laugh, but it's to be expected, because have you ever even heard of that dude? Of course not, unless you're yourself a historian.

Old video games have other disadvantages:
- Hardware/OS obsolescence: if I can't simply play a game, because to do so I'd need to set up an emulator (not always legal) or mess around with compatibility options, find unofficial patches or try various source ports, then the game loses points.
- Software obsolescence: unless you're into the abstraction and minimalism of old games, low-res sprites and blocky polygons will never compare favorably to the hyper-detailed models of today. (And fast forward five years: the hyper-detailed models of today are now considered blocky models.)
- Market availability: I can go to a media shop, and find discs with music albums or movies older than me on them. I can find books older than my language. But I can't find old games.

It actually is just a glorified popularity contest with some advanced features. It's trying to be a more permanent centralized location to rank our favorite games.
I know it is yet another shot at it, but maybe, (just maybe) we'll get it right this time. It's never going to be perfect, but we can at least make it fun and try to improve on it.

And there is no denying that the gaming community love making lists. We just never seem to agree on them and probably never will...

In the near future, the site will be able to differentiate the all time top list:
- by generation (gamers born in 80-84 vs 85-89 vs 75-79...)
- by country (US vs UK vs France ...)
- by gender (M vs F lists).

That will probably show some interesting results :)

I absolutely hate these lists.

They are so arbitrary and it drives me nuts when I see games that I cannot find any redeeming factors in on the top 10 alone.

Doom at 63? The world has gone mad...Well maybe not completely because Super Metroid is near the top of the list. Super Metroid is a beyond amazing game.

I never understood all the dick sucking for Final Fantasy X. It was a bore to play. Oh well, at least Chrono is above it. EarthBound should be up there too.

Marnetmar said:

Doom at 63? The world has gone mad...Well maybe not completely because Super Metroid is near the top of the list. Super Metroid is a beyond amazing game.

69, bro.

Vaporizer said:

I never understood the dick sucking for Final Fantasy VII. I played through it once, it was pretty average game. I didn't find it as the best game ever, although I was promised that. Especially the story which everyone praises really lacks.

I think most of the franchise is lousy. There are better RPGs out there.

Also, looking at that list you just know a huge majority of gamers of yore don't give a shit. The majority of the games on that list are from last Thursday.

Maes said:

In any case, I wonder why none ever compiled a serious list based on industry impact, number of conversions and sales. Some random JRPG that was only playable on the doomed N64 can't have been more popular than an 80s arcade hit that got converted to 10 different platforms, in its time.

I only see two N64 games on the top 50 and neither one is an RPG ...

chungy said:

I only see two N64 games on the top 50 and neither one is an RPG ...

Some beg to differ, unless you're a RPG purist who'd never call a Zelda game an RPG.

OK Final Fantasy was on PSX and maybe Saturn too....but seriously...yawn.

jesus fucking christ. im disgusted at how this list features the most brazen impulsive decision makers ever. Half of the winning games are games that were released within 5 years. How does that give any evidence to its ability to remain entertaining over a long period of time? God I hate video games so much.

I'm considering signing up for that website so I can rank 50 Cent: Bulletproof as my favorite game of all time.

40oz said:

jesus fucking christ. im disgusted at how this list features the most brazen impulsive decision makers ever. Half of the winning games are games that were released within 5 years. How does that give any evidence to its ability to remain entertaining over a long period of time? God I hate video games so much.

implying that you didn't already hate video games.

Vaporizer said:

I never understood the dick sucking for Final Fantasy VII. I played through it once, it was pretty average game. I didn't find it as the best game ever, although I was promised that. Especially the story which everyone praises really lacks.

The entire premise is retarded. I literally shut the console off during the "Red" plot, or just ol' fashioned implications of bestiality. That is something I do not want in my goddamn video games, square, you sick fucks.

I am...very pleasantly surprised that the first CoD game on the list is at #52. I'm also surprised Doom made it to #70. Not saying it's bad (obviously), but as far as gaming as a whole goes, it's not the largest slice of the pie.

The list does contain a fair few candidates for what I'd consider my top 25 games, spread over the top 200 or so. I'm not sure what the exact ranking would be though. I'm also not sure if I'd rate Doom or Doom 2 higher... or if I'd include both in the list.

Vaporizer said:

True. Also, Fallout 3 on place 10 and Fallout 2 on place 70? God damn I hate and love Fallout 3.

A crime against inhumanity.
Fallout 3 is a 90% game but the original 2 games were in their own league.
Same with Doom, should "duke it out" with Xcom, Diablo, Fallout, Warcraft and other timeless giants for numero uno.

Vaporizer said:

Seconded. Out of what I've played, the story is nothing really special (it's kinda weird honestly), and aside from omg3dgraphics it adds almost nothing to the series, compared to earlier ones.

I think it also started the trend of one-minute long spell animations. heh.

Vaporizer said:

Right there with you man.

All the cool kids love that VII but any other game like it is a piece of crap that is just trying to copy it.. ah durr.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I've played through it a couple times. I don't think it was bad, but now that I'm 8 years older than the first time I played through it, I don't enjoy it much anymore. Doesn't hold a candle to Chrono Trigger imo.

Vaporizer said:

True. Also, Fallout 3 on place 10 and Fallout 2 on place 70? God damn I hate and love Fallout 3.

Go ahead and call me a heretic but I honestly found Fallout 3 more enjoyable than Fallout 2. I felt that FO2 just didn't give you enough room to get creative with character creation. It seemed like you had to make your character just right or you probably wouldn't even make it much further than the temple of trials (also there's that. The Temple of Trials can seriously go fuck itself). It probably would have been a bit better if one of the items you received upon completing the temple of trials was some kind of small pistol as well for small guns users.

Vaporizer said:

I never understood the dick sucking for Final Fantasy VII.

It appealed to people who never played a real RPG before, so it was their messiah, that's all.