Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Farm Fresh

DB2 3D Mode is not smooth

I've ignored this problem for a while since I haven't been mapping for Doom in a while, but now that I've come back I have a problem that I've never had before and I can't find a cause for. Doom Builder 2's 3D Mode is a piece of cake for my hardware, but when I try to move in 3D Mode, it's like playing Myst, or like watching a slide show. I can't move slowly, I have to move in jumpy increments like an old dungeon crawler. Shifting textures is also jumpy and I've tried disabling as many programs on my computer as I can to see if they are causing any problems, and so far no luck. This was not a problem for me in all the time I used it, and the only thing I think could have changed was Doom Builder had an update, but I can't remember for sure if it started then. Any help, no matter how ridiculous or simple it might seem, would be helpful.

I get that when my computer has been on for a long while (more than a day at least). Reboot fixes it for me.

Strangely enough, I had the same issue after installing the GZDoom Editing plugin, but it went away after I configured it to allow to use said GZDoom visual mode in the current configuration. Now, both the normal 3D mode and the GZDoom 3D mode are smooth.

I don't know if this makes sense in any way, but that's my experience with it.

exl, your fix worked perfectly. I usually hibernate my computer, but completely shutting it down and restarting fixed the issue entirely. My thanks.

Gez, I never would have known about the GZDoom Editing Plugin without you mentioning it, so while it didn't solve my problem (the above did) thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm sure I'll use it often.

I have the same problem when my computer's been running for a few days, even if DB2 hasn't been open or used much during that time. I don't understand it at all.

Tough question to answer, but does it happen even if you don't hibernate the computer?

Happens to me too. Seems like a legitimate bug, considering that the slowdown persists between sessions -- I can't think of anything that should have a reason to do that.

I can, but I'm not entirely sure, this is just a guess;

There is an internal high-resolution clock in the CPU which simply counts up at a high frequency for as long as the CPU is running. This is the most accurate clock known on an x86 PC. And Doom Builder (among other programs that require perfect timing) uses this clock.

The calculations needed to come up with milliseconds involves a division and is stored in a 64bit floating point value (a 'double') whos accuracy decreases as the value becomes higher. You won't notice this when the computer runs for a day or 2, but yea, if you keep your machine running for a week, the accuracy may degrade that much so that the resolution becomes higher than milliseconds and that may cause any timing in Doom Builder to go haywire.

It doesn't matter if you close Doom Builder, because the clock is actually in your CPU and just keeps counting up. The next time you start Doom Builder, it just picks up the values from the CPU again. Your CPU is probably also turned off during hibernation, but Windows saves the state of all the hardware on the harddisk during hibernation, so a real reboot is required to reset the counter.