Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

how long will doom last?

Think about it. What will happen within 30 years? Will doom still be as popular as it is now?

Games are changing so much (actually by this point they are all clones of the last.

What if, so help me God, one of these games (CoD, halo) became the new DOOM? and then in a few years their will be a CoDworld forum, where mods are made.

I think we need to think advancely here and take out the target before this apocalypse happens.

But with DOOM 4's release and IDs brains, this cant happen.

God bless you ID.

I seem to recall reading a thread similar to this sometime ago, but I don't remember now....Anyway, my viewpoint is this: DooM came out in 1993. That's 17 years ago now. If it's lasted this long, it's not gonna totally die out. On top of that, there's a few of the newer generation of kids that are playing it still, or at least willing to play it. I have a cousin who's 10 or 11 that's been asking me to give it to him so he can play.

Doom is like classic music such as - The doors, Jimi Hendrix or even Elvis Presley. It'll age fine like wine.

Radon said:

Doom is like classic music such as - The doors, Jimi Hendrix or even Elvis Presley. It'll age fine like wine.

I love your comparison there.

Classic music has lasted for 50 years and before that...and metal even. and metal rocks...oh no what if Justin Bieber drowns out THAT!?

Agh, its all falling apart, lol.

and don't forget how easy it is for people to create their own worlds. There isn't anything like it out there. It only takes a few downloads, a few minutes to build a super basic level, a moment to figure how each piece of software works with one another and you have yourself a level that you can say you created yourself and that you can share with family, friends and the Doom community. That is part of what brings people in and keeps others around. Who knows, there might be people doing this as a hobby fifty years from now. Sort of like people who play with toy trains.

I never had toy trains, just microwaved plastic soldiers. (Growing up playing Army Men: Real combat, plastic men.)

Serious note - Very true, very easy to mod and even easy to pick up on it with enough practice and training. Unlike new-age video games, where you need C++, or advanced knowledge of Unreal Engine, Source or even the NovaLogic engine just to create a semi-decent map. Doom was more like Lego, you pick up what you got and make whatever you can with it.

Radon said:

I never had toy trains, just microwaved plastic soldiers. (Growing up playing Army Men: Real combat, plastic men.)

Serious note - Very true, very easy to mod and even easy to pick up on it with enough practice and training. Unlike new-age video games, where you need C++, or advanced knowledge of Unreal Engine, Source or even the NovaLogic engine just to create a semi-decent map. Doom was more like Lego, you pick up what you got and make whatever you can with it.

Wow, I still have that six pack army men set for my PC.

Sarges Heroes 2 for N64 was the first actual video game I got into other than 007 goldeneye. I still have an N64.

And alot of sarges heros games.

Dang...I still got like 50 baskets of army men and vehiclessome where.

I don't think Doom is going to die out any time soon. I mean, it has lasted 17 fucking years, people still play it and mod it, and I'm pretty sure it's going to stay like this for quite a lot of time.

Technician said:

As long as there are computers that can run it, Doom will not die.

never ever ever ever...wait, can windows vista or 7 run doom?

Those two are the most classic "cant run {place common program here}" computers.

I have Vista, and Doom works great (On Steam). Except I cant get the "Master levels'' to work at all.

Technician said:

Steam? Why aren't you using a source port?

I torrented doom after I got it on steam. Does that count as illegal? I have baught doom 1 and 2 like 3 times before that along with wolf, heretic, and hexen. They dont feel right on steam, though.

Ok, yeah anyways, you should use a source port. the steam version cant be modded (which is why I went and got doom's and heretic and hexen else where) or play mods.

I was too lazy at the time, and Steam works with almost full guarantee (So I thought.) Plus some sourceports give me hell on this system.

yellowmadness54 said:

never ever ever ever...wait, can windows vista or 7 run doom?

Those two are the most classic "cant run {place common program here}" computers.

I think Vista is worse compatibility wise.

Also, there's such a thing as source ports.

With the likes of Chocolate Doom, I doubt computers will ever be unable to actually run classic Doom any time soon. And when we get to the point where everyone is using some platform that can't run what source ports we currently have, someone will undoubtedly port them again and again.

Doom is like a cockroach. You just can't kill the motherfucker.

This thread is interesting, just like Doom. I wonder how is it seen by the outside people (inb4 Maes starting to comment how all of us are nerds). If I say the game name Doom, chances are most people will know what I'm talking about -- even if it's Doom 3. It does have a fame of its own.

Also, all the kids and teenagers joining the community from time to time and even making maps -- that's amazing too.

Yeah, modding should help!

There should be adds and other crap!

Doom was the first good one, it should last!

yellowmadness54 said:

I torrented doom after I got it on steam. Does that count as illegal? I have baught doom 1 and 2 like 3 times before that along with wolf, heretic, and hexen. They dont feel right on steam, though.

Ok, yeah anyways, you should use a source port. the steam version cant be modded (which is why I went and got doom's and heretic and hexen else where) or play mods.

ahem

The Steam version is the exact same version as the last official version. Down to the last bit. If you have the "Steam version", you can do with them everything you can do with the "normal version" since they're the same.

Now maybe you refer to starting them from the Steam interface, but you don't have to do that. All it does is launch DOSBox with a custom configuration.

yellowmadness54 said:

I torrented doom ... Does that count as illegal?

Yes, and don't ever talk of such things again. Doomworld has a strict "absolutely nothing to do with warez" policy.

Gez said:

The Steam version is the exact same version as the last official version. Down to the last bit. If you have the "Steam version", you can do with them everything you can do with the "normal version" since they're the same.

Add to that, some Doom ports (notably ZDoom and derivatives, among others) will actually check your Steam folder for Doom installations without you ever needing to copy IWAD files. It's really convenient.

A cult classic is a cult classic - lives by its own set of rules and slowly expands.
The current gayming "scene" doesn't harm or promote it - different worlds.

_bruce_ said:

A cult classic is a cult classic - lives by its own set of rules and slowly expands.
The current gayming "scene" doesn't harm or promote it - different worlds.

True, but it's truer in fields such as literature, music and movies, where "old" status doesn't automatically equal to oblivion or inaccessibility.

E.g. "golden oldies" types of music will eventually get a spin or two from some radio station and trigger rekindled interest or even mass revival streaks, and in any case, you can almost always go and buy the album and it will still play in any audio system that's reasonably modern (today that pretty much means CDs and cassettes to a lesser degree). Same for movies, although pre-recorded VHS died off much quicker than pre-recorded cassettes, and in any case there are periodic re-issues in current formats. It's always music or movies.

Video games OTOH have much more limiting medium and hardware quirks, and unless they're offered in a convenient package such as the Wii Virtual Console or Steam, they are pretty much in the same fate as collections of vintage 8-track takes or somesuch.

TL; DR: if a youngster suddenly discovers e.g. Bob Dylan or Loretta Lynn he can still walk into a record store and buy freshly remastered CDs or even DVDs with extra material. If that same youngster discovers Doom, he will -if he's lucky- find a place like DW. If not, he'll probably be ripped off or waste money on something he can't get to work. Quite a different beast.

Doom is still living because of it's mods, in both the content and the engine. While people who have a deeper knowledge of programming can create new source ports or even WAD editing software, almost anyone with basic knowledge can create a fully-scripted level, or even no programming knowledge at all if it's to be a vanilla map, so people of all programming backgrounds (or lack of) can enjoy modding the game, as well as playing. I started basic programming with ACS making Zdoom maps.
Any newer game would require deeper programming knowledge to even make a map.

While there are source ports avalible for the latest Windows '2113 computer with 250TB RAM and 2YB hardrive, and they are publicised well enough for people willing to start playing Doom, then it should not die. Hell, look at Elvis, Micheal Jackson, and the such. They're dead yet their products live on.

Judging by the fact that people will still play things like Pong (usually some updated version, but basically it's pong), or Rogue (again, updated to Nethack), I would say never. People also continue to play Chess, read literature and listen to music from hundreds of years ago, and so on. Even if the community slows down a lot, I bet there will be someone somewhere who is still playing doom, unless there's a world ban on old computers :P

This discussion reminds me of a great scene in Back to the Future 2 (uh it's the one where they go to the future). Marty goes into a diner to find an oldschool rail shooter type game, with two little kids trying to figure out how to play it. He pops in a quarter and starts shooting like crazy (because they need to establish his marksmanship for the third movie :P) and then the kids go "What...you have to use your hands?? That's boring"

This topic comes up every 6 months, and the answer is always the same: DooM is going to be around for a very long time, if only because porting it to smaller and smaller systems seems to be a programming rite of passage.

magicsofa said:

unless there's a world ban on old computers :P

Even then...

Doom has been ported to Windows, Linux, MacOS, IPhone, Android and who knows what else. Should there ever be some new (incompatible) hardware replace the current one there will sure be a Doom port for it.