Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Crendowing

Talk about a slim chance!

How often does this happen to you? You try to search for something on a file-sharing network, and you get only one result! That's kinda bad, knowing that if it fails somehow, you might have even less of a snowball's chance in Hell next time.

Very much so. Just like Daffy Duck says on this Road Runner (Time Warner Cable broadband service) commericial:

Daffy: You wanna know what's great about dial-up service?
People: WHAT?
Daffy: Getting rid of it!

It's not that I hate this little old 56k, it's just that you have to connect it to the Internet, but while you're on the Internet, no one can call, so then you have to disconnect, then if you want to get back on again, you have to reconnect it. And download anything over a 9 or 10 megs takes an eternity. I wish we could get DSL or cable where I live:.(

It's not that I hate this little old 56k, it's just that you have to connect it to the Internet, but while you're on the Internet, no one can call, so then you have to disconnect, then if you want to get back on again, you have to reconnect it. And download anything over a 9 or 10 megs takes an eternity. I wish we could get DSL or cable where I live:.(

I heard the new 56k's won't disconect if you pick up the phone and start talking to it, you won't be able to to download anything while you're talking, but when you put the phone down it will go back to downloading without having to reconnect. I don't know if you can get phone calls while online, my guess would be that you probably can, not sure though.

I have two phone lines :P

yea i got a v.92 modem, dont like it thought. if u use dial up and got call waiting it is a must to get rid on it or get a second line

I have two phone lines

Get 2 modems and use multilink

Heh, that reminds me of an ad I saw in a magazine years back for some kind of modem with "shotgun" in the name somewhere. It had two line-in phone jacks for people with two phone lines, which it could somehow use at the same time.

Needless to say, that's the only place I ever saw it and never heard of it again.

Price was pretty ridiculous, and I'm sure almost nobody bought one.

I ran 2 modems while playing Doom for a few weeks, a 56k + a 28.8 got around 70k speed so it was worth it

We've got two lines, with one pretty much dedicated to the net. I can use it for free after 6pm weekdays and at weekends, else it's 2p a minute and screw that.

The problem is, freeserve, my ISP, disconnects me after 2 hours automatically. If I have a really big download, it can get interrupted. Thankfully, DAP has eliminated most of the problem by having Resume Support.

There doesn't seem to be much stuff out there that can force the ISP to not disconnect you, or for that matter instantly re-dial if you get disconnected. If anyone's got any nifty dial-up freeware links I'd be grateful...

AIM actually re-dials three minutes after it gets disconnected, but by then DAP has given up trying to re-download.

Get a program like Download accelerator (you should be able to find it if you do a search on a search engine.
But I know the feeling, I used to have a slower-than-56k modem (I think it was 36k or something like that) when I lived with my parents.