Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skib

Making Cutscenes

I want to know how to make a cutscene in a doom game!
Like in HeXetic E1M1!

Help please!

Isn't this a Doom Editing question?

Anyway, the basics of it are that you'll need a scripting language. The obvious one is (G)ZDoom's ACS, which is indeed based on HeXen's own ACS, although there are other source ports that have scripting languages too.

I'm not familiar with these however. The basis behind making a wall animate and talk to you are fairly simple, and as I'm fairly sure the code is there to be read in hexen.wad, I'll not go into detail. A good place to go is the ZDoom wiki: http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page as its got examples and listings of every function and linedef action in ACS.

Phobus said:

I'm fairly sure the code is there to be read in hexen.wad

Nope.

Hmm... bit of a surprise. Still, never mind. There's easily enough examples of doing similar (if not better) things out there in maps that do still have the SCRIPTS lump present.

Just do us all one favor and PLEASE learn how to make said cutscenes skippable (or trigger an autosave at the end of them) so that players aren't forced to sit through them several times.

WildWeasel said:

Just do us all one favor and PLEASE learn how to make said cutscenes skippable (or trigger an autosave at the end of them) so that players aren't forced to sit through them several times.

Yeah, Autosave!
And short cutscene, probarbly just Doom guy dieing and Corvus comes and blasts an imp!

Dark Claw said:

what?

I don't really know, something for the doomed heretic or something!