Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cbronson

Wolf 1-D

That was odd!
The Status bar should be 1-D but o well!
I could make one in notepad but controls are not advanced and no sound!
*Deletion note*
Ok Moderator, please delete it!

He could still have one-dimensional gameplay without literally using a one-pixel line. Then it would be easier to see at least.

When I first heard about this, I had assumed it was going to be the same thing as Wolf3D but instead of the 3d environment being projected onto a 2D surface, it would be projected onto a 1D surface. I was disappointed.

But it's still interesting.

InsanityBringer said:

When I first heard about this, I had assumed it was going to be the same thing as Wolf3D but instead of the 3d environment being projected onto a 2D surface, it would be projected onto a 1D surface. I was disappointed.

But it's still interesting.

You do realize that a line is the only type of 1D "surface" right? :P

Quasar: Yeah, that may have just been some term confusion. If it helps any, here's an edited wolf3d screenshot explaining what I meant:

That's a screenshot of the first level, but with the game screen reduced to only one row of pixels.

InsanityBringer said:

That's a screenshot of the first level, but with the game screen reduced to only one row of pixels.

Actually, it's a very minimalistic sidescroller Wolfenstein. You move your segment to the right, opening doors which look like cyan segments, fighting Nazis which are brown segments. Bullets move at finite speed and there doesn't seem to be much way to evade them, so over all the gameplay is crappy.

printz said:

Actually, it's a very minimalistic sidescroller Wolfenstein. You move your segment to the right, opening doors which look like cyan segments, fighting Nazis which are brown segments. Bullets move at finite speed and there doesn't seem to be much way to evade them, so over all the gameplay is crappy.

Sometimes you can run back through doors to avoid fire ;)

printz said:

I was explaining what I was hoping what it'd be, but meh.

InsanityBringer said:

Quasar: Yeah, that may have just been some term confusion. If it helps any, here's an edited wolf3d screenshot explaining what I meant:

it was have depth as a dimension though, so it'd still be 2d in this scenario.

It would be interesting to try InsanoityBringer's idea, to have 2D gameplay only visible through one row of pixels. It could use the same colors as Wolf 1-D, with the color widening as you get closer to the door/enemy/item.

phi108 said:

It would be interesting to try InsanoityBringer's idea, to have 2D gameplay only visible through one row of pixels. It could use the same colors as Wolf 1-D, with the color widening as you get closer to the door/enemy/item.

It is doing that.

I mean like the Wolf 3D view, but with 1 pixel height. A soldier right in your face would be a very wide length of brown, blocking items behind it.

phi108 said:

I mean like the Wolf 3D view, but with 1 pixel height. A soldier right in your face would be a very wide length of brown, blocking items behind it.

no offense, but that doesn't even sound remotely fun.

Sounds like something that will give you a massive headache.

phi108 said:

For some reason this reminds me of one time when I played Tekken Tag with the TV off.

Yeah, I am retarded

Whilst there is indeed only one dimension of play it could be a line of any thickness, with as much graphical intricacy as you like and maintain it. Staying as a line makes it more truly 1D. The problem with playing on one dimension is that there is very minimal dodging. Having it as a small line did also make it difficult to see what was going on.

Still beat it on my first playthrough though, and the overall thing amused me. Seemed quite tongue-in-cheek.

I'm so lost and can't figure out where to go.