Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

favorite doom or heretic enemies to fight.

Not favorite enemies in general, but your favorite to fight.

IE my favorite enemy is the cacodemon, but my favorite to fight is the Cyberdemon. I am actually making a map where the boss is two cybs at the same time.

In games, my favorite enemies to fight have always been boss style enemies (except for todays scripted boss fights) IE the tank from quake 2, Hitler from wolfenstein, etc.

In heretic, my fav enemy is the Waredragon, my favorite 2 to fight are the maulitor and the Lich.

What are yours and why?

Please do not list enemies from WADs, because that does not count.

I like fighting arachnotrons just because of their death sound, and I also like blasting revenants with rockets.

In heretic, I enjoy fighting the disciples because they are often the most challenging non-boss enemy

EDIT: Who is john madden?

magicsofa said:

I like fighting arachnotrons just because of their death sound, and I also like blasting revenants with rockets.

In heretic, I enjoy fighting the disciples because they are often the most challenging non-boss enemy

EDIT: Who is john madden?

yeah, I was asking the same thing when I wrote this (and waited eagerly for an answer all alone, thanks)

Apperently, this was his first post, and it must've went agains rules pretty bad, cause he is BANNED and also his comment is no longer with us.

Yeah I'm kinda curious about that, too. The thread originally had "1 reply", by a John Madden. Yet if you entered into this thread, the response isn't there.

He got banned, it seems, and the 2 posts he made on this forum got deleted. Either a spambot or a ban-evader.

Anyway,

Doom (II): Revenant
Heretic: Sabreclaw

Doom - arch-vile, but only if there's one or two of them. Any more can get hairy real quick.
Heretic - ophidian, mostly because they drop a nice amount of ammo for the phoenix rod. In fact, if they do drop one, it's more than it takes to kill them.
Hexen - death wyvern, with slaughtaurs a close second

Doom ~~ The Archville. It's a monster I more accurately love-to-hate to fight this enemy, because of it's attack method. Whenever I try to hide behind a pillar I often go that tiny little bit too far so I'm back in the Archville's line of sight and thus get burned. It takes a lot of strategy to bring him down... it's not something I can just run-n'-gun like everything else.

Heretic ~~ The Nitrogolem, because of the flaming skulls that can arc around you and sometimes even corners and still hit you, even if I'm only just out of sight. I know the Revenant has almost exactly the same attack method in Doom, but these are skulls. SKULLS!

And also D'Sparil himself, it's such a nice change to see one of the strongest enemies in a game not supersized to match. Being a small target makes him harder to hit from a distance. Plus - those blue energy orbs he fires are devastating!

Hexen ~~ the Death Wyvern is always fun, because as long as I'm flying behind him, I can get him and he can't get me (hehe) but otherwise I'd have to say Menelkir because of his Bloodscourge.

magicsofa said:

I like fighting arachnotrons just because of their death sound

I'm not alone!

For doom, I enjoy battles with arch-viles or revenants. Mancubus's are also fun to fight if you aren't being ganged up on.

Least favourite would be pain-elementals in open areas and the cyberdemon. The cyberdemon mostly because of the length of the fight without a bfg and the "one wrong move" that can end the long fight.

yellowmadness54 said:

In heretic, my fav enemy is the Waredragon

Doesn't that only appear in pirated copies of Heretic? ;-)

I like pole-dancing with archviles and revenants, but no more than a couple at a time.

Doom: Pinkies, Hellknights, and Revenants are balls of fun to fight.

Heretic: Weredragons because they have cool death animations.

i can fight any number of imps in any given situation and remain completely entertained. I still prefer a mixed bag of monsters but I could easily play an entire map that had nothing but imps and not be bored in the slightest.

Yeah, the classic E1 imps and zombies are quite fun, and pinkies are also relatively entertaining. Maybe it just makes me feel more powerful when I play against weak monsters, or maybe it's because my brain was developing when I first played Doom Episode 1, so it was permanently hardwired like that.

Archvile of course,
They cause troubles if they ressruct lots of revenants or barons that you already killed, you need a cover when you fight an archvile and I love their sound :)

I dunno. I love fighting golems in Heretic and Ettins in Hexen because it's satisfying when they die. And I love fragging zombiemen and imps in Doom because of the gib sound. And the Imp's ambient sound is terrific.

But game play wise, I think I have to go with the arch vile. Because it's such a brutal enemy that can be used to create some great tactical and strategical scenarios.

Demons. Not just regular ones, but fast ones. For some reason, which goes way back to the early 1990's, they have always scared the shit out of me, especially in large packs on dark maps. I love being overwhelmed by them and then managing to barely escape. Archviles go great with nightmare demons, especially when they manage to resurrect a few ghost demons. :D

GreyGhost said:

Doesn't that only appear in pirated copies of Heretic? ;-)

I like pole-dancing with archviles and revenants, but no more than a couple at a time.

No, they are on steam version as well ;)

ty.

I like big boss fights and awesome deaths.

I have to admit though about the cyberdemon thing someone mentioned, yeah that one wrong move pisses me off. One rocket is all it takes to rage quit, espeically when im testing one of my maps.

I like shooting through herds of hitscanners with a double-barreled shotgun, especially when playing with blood stains and effects. I think this is why TNT MAP09 is one of my favorite maps of all time.

yellowmadness54 said:

No, they are on steam version as well ;)

ty.

That was a joke on wAredragon vs. the correct spelling of wEredragon. Too subtle maybe...

Gez said:

That was a joke on wAredragon vs. the correct spelling of wEredragon. Too subtle maybe...

I had to read over it a bit, but I got it. Thought it was a good joke actually :)

Barons of Hell. Their death sound is just so... epic.

Mr. Chris said:

Zombies of all varieties, because of the potential for infighting.

I wanna see zombified demons, other than revs.

Like a decaying caco, or rusted up cyberdemon, and a taped-together lost soul.

Gez said:

It's Weledlagon, not Weredragon.

I really like Reventants. They're always an "oh shit" experience. Lots of action in a small package. Arch viles are not so much fun as scary and brutal. I prefer Pain Elementals.

Archvile's can be really fun, they just need to be used right. I always love running through hallways trying to escape 'em.