• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

quake, doom, same universe?

I thought this out...

Quake is a prequel to doom, I think.

And heres why.

Quake starts with slip-gate technology, like in doom, leading to human coming across a demonic world. However, the demons in this world are old beliefs and gothic styled demons, using old weapons and traps as well castles and torture methods.

But, upon finding technology of man, demons have evolutionized them selves, leading to the usage of guns and computer technology, creating and using plasma weapons as well bullet feeding systems to the point where demons themselves are mechanized into biological weapons.

Quake 2 must, clearly, take place after doom, and after the first demon invasion. It kept the BFG technology, as well. And it will also end the "where did quake 1 leave off?" subjects.

Technician said:

No, they barely have a universe of their own.

I....doom nor quake have a universe?

You know, universe as in...like, storyline or spin offs or something of that nature.

Like Jay and Silent bob from clerks have their own movies like Dogma, but that would be in the same universe as clerks.

Good lord, who cares? Peggle has a more engrossing story/universe than any id game.

Quake and Quake II aren't in the same continuity. They're different universes.

The Quake monsters are not "gothic-styled demons".

Quake III explicitly says that the tournament gods (Vadrigar IIRC) are grabbing the best warriors from different universes. The intro scene shows their abduction of Sarge.

The only continuity in Quake is that Quake 4 follows Quake II. That's all.

Gez said:

Quake and Quake II aren't in the same continuity. They're different universes.

The Quake monsters are not "gothic-styled demons".

Quake III explicitly says that the tournament gods (Vadrigar IIRC) are grabbing the best warriors from different universes. The intro scene shows their abduction of Sarge.

The only continuity in Quake is that Quake 4 follows Quake II. That's all.

ugh...that wasn't the point I was getting across.

I never said there was anything between quakes story and quake 2s.

You seemed to imply that the demons were Stroggs.

Cybernetical demons are in Doom only the big bosses: the Cyberdemon and the Mastermind.

Rank-and-file tech demons only happen during the invasion of Earth, after they've taken control of the UAC installations on Phobos and Deimos.

You don't have to use Quake to explain Mancubus and Arachnotrons. You only need Doom.

Gez said:

You seemed to imply that the demons were Stroggs.

Cybernetical demons are in Doom only the big bosses: the Cyberdemon and the Mastermind.

Rank-and-file tech demons only happen during the invasion of Earth, after they've taken control of the UAC installations on Phobos and Deimos.

You don't have to use Quake to explain Mancubus and Arachnotrons. You only need Doom.

no, sorry.

Quake- old styled weapons, architecture, feel, and technology and demons IE knights.
Then along came the HUMAN from quake with modernized weapons such as shotguns and RLs, which inspired the....

DOOM- demons to become more modernized IE usage of weapons and electronic technology IE arachnotrons, mancubi, cyberdemons, etc.

Quake 2- if in the same universe (BFG10k, mind you.) it most likely takes place long after doom. Hense why in quake 2 the military is back instead of a lone wolf like in quake and doom.

Interesting concept, but I personally don't see them connected. Though, sometimes I like to think that the monsters from Quake are the predecessors of the Strogg, but even then that's a stretch.

PRIMEVAL said:

Interesting concept, but I personally don't see them connected. Though, sometimes I like to think that the monsters from Quake are the predecessors of the Strogg, but even then that's a stretch.

well...the Ogre does have some mechanical instroments attached to him...

PRIMEVAL said:

And Armagon from the first mission pack. :)

I keep mispronouncing that pack as Armageddon.

Dont know why. But naturely when you first come across it, it looks like armageddon.

yellowmadness54 said:

I keep mispronouncing that pack as Armageddon.

Dont know why. But naturely when you first come across it, it looks like armageddon.

Makes sense, the name Armagon is derived from the word Armageddon.

PRIMEVAL said:

Makes sense, the name Armagon is derived from the word Armageddon.

I never got to play the mission packs. I dont know how to set them up.

When I got my computer, both quake 1 and 2 were on there already, and both are .exe for some reason.

SO the mission pack doesnt work for them at all.

I tried buying quake 2 on steam to see if that'd help, but it didn't.

Quake 2- if in the same universe (BFG10k, mind you.) it most likely takes place long after doom. Hense why in quake 2 the military is back instead of a lone wolf like in quake and doom.

nope.
id's made it clear themselves. Quake 2 has nothing to do with Quake. The only reason it's named Quake 2 is because the names they wanted to use weren't available.

I actually tried to write a story that tied all the Id games together once. Basically, Quake happened in the early 21st century, but it was a small-scale thing that got covered up by the powers that be. Then Doom happened about 100 years later, after they revived the slipgate tech. Quake 2 happens years after that, after the world has been rebuilt from the Hellspawn invasion. Also, the Serpent Riders came from the same dimension as the Hellspawn, and the Nazis were dieselpunk occultists.

Craigs said:

nope.
id's made it clear themselves. Quake 2 has nothing to do with Quake. The only reason it's named Quake 2 is because the names they wanted to use weren't available.

ok, well in that comment it was between quake 1 and doom, and saying quake 2 was in dooms universe...so I have no clue as to what you are trying to say here....

Danarchy said:

I actually tried to write a story that tied all the Id games together once. Basically, Quake happened in the early 21st century, but it was a small-scale thing that got covered up by the powers that be. Then Doom happened about 100 years later, after they revived the slipgate tech. Quake 2 happens years after that, after the world has been rebuilt from the Hellspawn invasion. Also, the Serpent Riders came from the same dimension as the Hellspawn, and the Nazis were dieselpunk occultists.

I tried the same thing, but with other DOS games included.

When ever I play doom, I narrate it like a book. I should do some fan fics.

But in mine, the nazies (wolf) ressurected the demons, which BJ faught. And the nazies later became the cultists from blood.

EDIT: sorry for double post. I forgot about the other one and tried to delete it but it didn't let me.

Pretty sure Blood happens before Wolfenstein3d... Crossovers are silly, though Danarchy's sounds OK.

Space.

The camera pans down the starfield to slowly reveals the shining mass of the Sun, then spiraling away from it while zooming in, we quickly survey Mercury, then Venus, and finally stop on Earth.

For a moment, we are left to admire the blue planet under her while veil of clouds. Then the camera starts zooming out again, revealing the Moon, upon which stands a disproportionately huge neon billboard. On it is written: "Invasion line starts here, take a ticket and wait until your number is called in."

Cut to the League of Badass One-Man-Army Headquarters.

Doomguy: "Are you sure we can't just send a rocket circlestrafing around the demons, vortigaunts, cycloids, other demons, scrin, time-traveling robots, nazi space zombies, and so on to make them infight and destroy each others? It's a tried and true technique and we could all afford some vacation time."

I was always disturbed by the fact that Quake's equivalent of "former humans" were described as having connections "to their pleasure centers" so that they got ecstasy orgasms or somesuch whenever they killed.... ugh.... can you imagine Doom's sergeants cumming in their pants whenever they manage to pump you full of their hot, manly lead, and growling with inhuman pleasure? :-S

Maes said:

can you imagine Doom's sergeants cumming in their pants whenever they manage to pump you full of their hot, manly lead, and growling with inhuman pleasure? :-S

Yes, I can. And it is awesome.

Maes said:

I was always disturbed by the fact that Quake's equivalent of "former humans" were described as having connections "to their pleasure centers" so that they got ecstasy orgasms or somesuch whenever they killed.... ugh.... can you imagine Doom's sergeants cumming in their pants whenever they manage to pump you full of their hot, manly lead, and growling with inhuman pleasure? :-S

I read that there was a probe in their brain that makes them happy when they kill something.

These games have such unique and awesome monsters. Why cant games now do this?

Im sick of russians and aliumz wit blasty guns.

There was a fan fiction on the PlanetQuake forums called Generations that tied together Wolfenstein, Doom, the Quake games, and possibly Heretic and Hexen (not sure, this is from years ago). Some of the pages are 404, but maybe there's an archived copy somewhere. It was a pretty good story.

It revolved around the Vadrigar and the warlords of each individual game, including a character called "Quake", the Makron, Baphomet, etc. Basically the Vadrigar orchestrated the Doom wars, the Slipgate incident, the Strogg invasion, and whatever else in their search for the strongest warriors.

Sounds reasonable that it's the same universe but it was a little far fetched don't you think?

Danarchy said:

Clever

yellowmadness54 said:

I never got to play the mission packs. I dont know how to set them up.

When I got my computer, both quake 1 and 2 were on there already, and both are .exe for some reason.

SO the mission pack doesnt work for them at all.

I tried buying quake 2 on steam to see if that'd help, but it didn't.

Just copy the armagon .pak files into a subfolder of the Quake folder like this:

shoggoth@linux-evbo ~/QUAKE1(-$) ls -R armagon/
armagon/:
total 85M
drwx------ 3 shoggoth users 4.0K  31-01-11 07:00 pm .
drwx------ 5 shoggoth users 4.0K  30-01-11 07:39 pm ..
drwx------ 3 shoggoth users 4.0K  07-09-10 11:00 pm id1
-rwxrwxrwx 1 shoggoth users  18M  16-01-11 03:05 am pak0.pak
-rwxrwxrwx 1 shoggoth users  33M  16-01-11 03:05 am pak1.pak
-rwxrwxrwx 1 shoggoth users  34M  16-01-11 03:05 am pak2.pak

armagon/id1:
total 836K
drwx------ 3 shoggoth users 4.0K  31-01-11 07:00 pm .
drwx------ 3 shoggoth users 4.0K  31-01-11 07:00 pm ..
-rwxrwxrwx 1 shoggoth users 821K  07-09-10 11:00 pm progs.dat
drwx------ 2 shoggoth users 4.0K  07-09-10 11:00 pm video

armagon/id1/video:
total 8.0K
drwx------ 2 shoggoth users 4.0K  31-01-11 07:00 pm .
drwx------ 3 shoggoth users 4.0K  31-01-11 07:00 pm ..
This is what I did with darkplaces and then type darkplaces -game armagon. Works perfectly.

Danarchy said:

That idea is more original than most movies that have come out lately.