Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hand X

101% kills on psx doom?!

Orchid87 said:

No no and no. Colored sectors look lame, levels are simplified, textures in Ultimate Doom are cut, (making E1 look like a stone castle), no iconic Doom music, no iconic Doom sounds (where's my Caco blurpblurpblurp?), no archie, no Romero head on a stick, no nuthin'...

PC Doom > PSX Doom. Deal with it :P

Dear troll, I know that you want some attention, so you will have.

I'm not a Doom god but, PC Doom is boring. Keyboard and mouse plus the save game makes it easy, VERY EASY.

Colored sectors do not look lame if you use it right, and they did on PSX Doom.

Levels simplified? Less sectors does not mean less detail and sense.

Textures there are BETTER than the PC's version, deal with it!

Graphics are not so pixelated. PC's seems made of lego.

Midi (they suck) on PSX would be a waste, if you don't like it, grab your MPwhatever and you're done. Also, music in games are not important anyway.

Sorry mortal, sounds are better here, much better than *pop* *pop* *you momma*, etc.. But I must agree that Baron's sound (PC version) rules!

Arch-viles are not a challenge, Revenants and Nightmare Demons are.

Romero's head? I don't need cheats!

Before someone talk "but in pc's you have user wads with lots of levelzzz!!11!1!1one!!!1!"

Doom is Doom, mods are mods.

"Source-ports make the graphicz better you moron!!1!!1!"

They are attractive, yes. But again the feel is not the same.

"You purist!1!!!"

Sorry, I must be a Nazi to be considered a purist, but I'm not.

I have moar arguments to smash the "PC Doom > PSX Doom." sentence. But I don't have time to speak with myself, since trolls are trolls. PC's MAY be EQUAL to PSX and vice versa.

Now learn to respect other's opinions!

Better textures you say?

As for purism, I might be a DOS Doom purist. But no way psx port is "pure". So much was changed.

The colored lights are only there to compensate for the loss of detail.

The textures aren't better in any way; there are only a handful of new textures and they aren't in a higher resolution. The PSX textures are just a subset of the PC textures; with a lot of them removed and three or four new added. But for the overlap? For those textures that are found in both versions? They are exactly the same. So nobody can say they are better, since they are the same. Just... less of them.

Considering I'm more of a console gamer than PC gamer, I guess I naturally prefer the PSX version over the PC version. But then again I'm a sucker for creepy atmosphere, and PSX Doom gave me just that, with colored lighting and ambient music. Both versions of the game have their pro's and con's, but in the end it is up to your opinion as to which one you prefer more.

They both have different feels, just look at the PSX version as a mod of the original, except done by some of the same people.. If they didnt do it, im sure a fan would have! It shows you the direction they were going in, with the quake series Doom 64 and doom 3. As a console gamer myself, i usually prefer the PSX version to, but the PC version with source ports, offers so many new things, including well made ports of PSX and Doom 64!

Hand X said:

I'm not a Doom god but, PC Doom is boring. Keyboard and mouse plus the save game makes it easy, VERY EASY.

If it was so easy you wouldn't need to save at all. The game does not auto save, you save and load your game at will.
Perhaps you should go play Plutonia on Ultra-Violence if you think Doom and Doom II are easy.

Hand X said:

Colored sectors do not look lame if you use it right, and they did on PSX Doom.

Subjective, but I agree that they look great in PSX doom.

Hand X said:

Levels simplified? Less sectors does not mean less detail and sense.

Go play E2M2. I'm not convinced you have thoroughly played through the PC version of Doom if you seriously think none of the levels are simplified. Are you aware that many levels are completely missing in the PSX version? And don't get me started on Final Doom for the PSX..

Hand X said:

Textures there are BETTER than the PC's version, deal with it!

No they're not.

Hand X said:

Graphics are not so pixelated. PC's seems made of lego.

Subjective, but this is hardly an issue if you just use a source port..

Hand X said:

Midi (they suck) on PSX would be a waste, if you don't like it, grab your MPwhatever and you're done. Also, music in games are not important anyway.

Again, subjective. The Midis in Doom are great, and I think it's short sighted to say that music is not important in a game. It's not exactly number one priority, but crappy music isn't something people appreciate.

Hand X said:

Sorry mortal, sounds are better here, much better than *pop* *pop* *you momma*, etc.. But I must agree that Baron's sound (PC version) rules!

Again, subjective. I personally like the sounds from both PSX Doom and PC Doom. Maybe you played PSX Doom and to you the PC sounds are just 'wrong', but there is nothing wrong with them.

Hand X said:

Arch-viles are not a challenge, Revenants and Nightmare Demons are.

You mean your revenents in the PSX version that are slower than their PC counter parts? The Arch-vile comment can be subjective depending on the level, but I think you underestimate what they are capable of.

Hand X said:

Before someone talk "but in pc's you have user wads with lots of levelzzz!!11!1!1one!!!1!"

Doom is Doom, mods are mods.

Your loss. You can just keep playing the same level set, meanwhile, here on the idgames archive, we have countless mapsets at our finger tips, many of which are very high quality.

Hand X said:

"Source-ports make the graphicz better you moron!!1!!1!"

They are attractive, yes. But again the feel is not the same.

"You purist!1!!!"

Sorry, I must be a Nazi to be considered a purist, but I'm not.

The same as what? PSX Doom? Not even the ZDoom PSX-TC feels exactly the same as PSX Doom. And just remember, Doom, the good old original Dos version that most of us here played, came before this console version ever did. Some people here only play Doom vanilla either on an actual Dos machine, Windows 98se machine, or Dosbox. That's a bit more purist than saying the PSX version is Doom in it's purest form.

As for source ports feeling the same as the original game.. well, I'd like to think a port like PrBoom-Plus that is accurate to the point of perfect demo play back is more than sufficient.

Hand X said:

I have moar arguments to smash the "PC Doom > PSX Doom." sentence. But I don't have time to speak with myself, since trolls are trolls. PC's MAY be EQUAL to PSX and vice versa.

Now learn to respect other's opinions!

Yet you speak as though everything you have to say is fact.. yet you say learn to respect the opinions of others?

It's great and all that you love the PSX version, I'm right there with you, but I think it's silly that you refuse to admit it's limitations.

The PSX version, while outright fantastic and did great things to compensate for the weaker hardware, is not the same game Doom on the PC is.. and over the years, Doom for the PC has evolved, PSX Doom has not.

Even compared to the original Dos .exe, the PSX version doesn't hold a candle to the capabilities of the PC version.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Post some screenshots of E2M7.

Here you go

It doesn't look like a Deimos military base at all. Also half of the level is literally missing.

When arguments come up between either PSX or PC Doom being better, I think people need to go back to 1995, when PSX Doom came out.

Now in recent years, PC Doom has made great strides in advancing (i.e. Source Ports, PWADs, etc.), but was it that way in 1995? NOPE. You couldn't have an animated sky unless you wanted the game to run at 5 FPS. Making colored sectors was still impossible to make (AFAIK, Doombuilder came out in 2003, 8 years after PSX Doom). And the one thing that people haven't brought up yet, what about all the cool echo effects that PSX Doom and Doom 64 used when you were in a building? AFAIK, PC Doom STILL hasn't mastered that.

Now, PSX Doom does have it's down points, all thanks to early PSX limitations. Textures are not of the same quality as the PC ones, which is obvious, but what PSX games didn't have problems with texture warping? The Ultimate Doom levels are indeed cut down, thanks to the developer's laziness of porting the Jaguar Level's instead of the originals. However, the Doom II levels AND Thy Flesh Consumed levels are all pretty accurate to the PC levels, even with the bonus of a couple of bonus levels made by the same mappers who went on to make Doom 64. Now the levels that weren't included (Downtown, Industrial Zone) would have made the PSX literally choke thanks to the enormous vertical draw distances. Some level's were even noticeably changed for this, such as the Crusher Room on Doom II's map The Crusher. Many Doom II level's did push the PSX to it's limits (Don't believe me? check this out), but the PSX version of Doom was truly groundbreaking for it's time.

PSX Final Doom, as much as I personally like it (Geryon in this game is one of the creepiest level's I have played, EVER.), was nothing more than a cash cow because Quake wasn't going to be released on the PSX. So it's my guess that Williams Entertainment tried their best with the levels, and they did a pretty damn good job IMO. I can see how some people don't like it, considering it isn't even all Final Doom and the levels are pretty mangled compared to their PC versions, I'd consider it more of a best of ID's licensed add-on's with a PSX Doom flavor.

Now PC Doom did have some great maps and TC's come out in it's early years (Aliens TC, anyone?), and is still having awesome maps come out even now. But people need to stop trying to convince each other which one is better. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

@Matt: Actually, the reason for porting thr Jag maps was the same as for the omission of Archie - memory constraints.That glitch you linked to happened to me on Sever The Wicked once.

@Hand X: PSX Doom was a cakewalk compared to the PC and there was no nightmare mode.

The 16-bit colour palette of the PS1 allowed the coloured lighting to look as good as it did - when I finally did get a PC the 256-colour palette took a bit of getting used to, particularly with things like demons turning brown in the distance. Of course, source ports have enabled PC Doom to adapt all of PSX Doom's (and Doom 64's) extra audio/visual features, but this by no means makes the console game redundant. Some mods take inspiration from it or are completely based around it.

The reason I am a fan of PSX Doom is mainly to do with what Williams/Midway brought to the game, which was a dark, moody atmosphere which PC Doom just couldn't match back then. Does that alone make it a better game? Of course not, but it does leave fond memories for a lot of Doomers on these forums.

scalliano said:

The reason I am a fan of PSX Doom is mainly to do with what Williams/Midway brought to the game, which was a dark, moody atmosphere which PC Doom just couldn't match back then. Does that alone make it a better game? Of course not, but it does leave fond memories for a lot of Doomers on these forums.

And as somebody who never played PSX Doom until just a couple years ago, I can fully see and respect that. I enjoyed my first play through of PSX Doom, even if it was pretty easy for me.

Of course that the pain elemental's lost souls are counted as extra kills.
Well I am a fan of the PSX doom aswell, when I 6-7 (now i'm 16 :D) years old and I didn't know how to mess with the internet and find me a version of doom/doom2 I could play the PSX doom at least and when I played it for the first time I was quite shocked when I saw the pain elementals or revenants on phobos.
Another thing that I loved is the nightmare spectres and the high amount of hell knights in ultimate doom, I remember myself playing threshold of pain and counting the whole hell knights I killed one by one.

PSX's ultimate doom was amazing, however the doom 2 wasn't.
Well, archviles&pain elementals or other strong monsters were usually replaced by cacodemons and I didn't like it at all, it was very frustrating that in total only 5 levels out of 60 contained pain elementals in small amounts of 1-2 except threshold of pain.
And the most disappointing thing about the PSX's doom 2 is that map 28 was removed (I guess that because of the spiderdemons), but the final level was very nice allthought that it was very easy.