Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

STARTAN is a pain in the ass to edit with.

Seriously. I'm trying to make a few classic DOOM 1 e1 maps and STAR* textures are difficult to make look good. I don't like cutting off the 'padding' on either the x or the y axis, and I don't find it looks very good either aligned or unaligned. I try to not worry about it much but then when I test my work all I see are these cut-off textures all over. I find it very distracting. Most of my time spent editing is taken up my fixing the textures. A lot of it winds up on a 32x grid.

Many other textures, like BROWN* are much move versatile, and regardless of length or ceiling height they blend real well. Anyone else have these types of problems? My STAR* areas take forever to make look good, as opposed to other more uniform textures that seem to look pretty good without all the nit-picking.

NT

It takes a little getting used to, but startan is pretty easy to work with I think. Layering it around sections of other, easier materials can help sometimes, if you can't make something fit adequately to the heights/lengths you need.

For horizontal alignment, though, there's always the "split the linedef in the middle once or a couple times and manually align to get skinnier or wider panels" trick.

But depending how classic you mean by "classic," the answer might just be "embrace the misalignments". In authentic e1 maps, there's a certain amount of misalignment (among other things, like unmatching flat/texture combinations) that you can not only get away with, but are expected to intentionally replicate.

I guess it really depends how clean a style you're aiming for.

nah, none of that splitting-lines stuff allowed (a technique I've used plenty in the past). I've been inspired by the DTWID trend. I think it's all in my head anyways. I play the original DOOM and there's plenty of slivers of 'pads', something that drives me crazy in my maps, but not at all noticeable in the original. I am doing my best to embrace the misalignments, for sure.

Sometimes in classic-style maps I'll use a couple of lines (with lengths reasonably close to 32, 64, or etc) at odd angles in corners, to make textures fit properly, or at least closely enough, where they otherwise wouldn't. I did this in some parts of my DTWID map, like the STAR*/COMPSTA* room directly across the hall from the player start. That one was an odd balancing act between wall texture alignment and ceiling texture alignment, avoiding cutting off either of them without adding another sector or splitting lines for alignment.

Proper Romero-style STAR* usage is all about sector heights and border textures (mostly 16-wide SUPPORT2 with an X offset of 4). Cutting off the panels is acceptable, but he rarely let panels from two different sector heights touch. E1M1 has a spot where they do right near the start, though.

Mostly the good alignment in E1 comes from the STAR* areas using line lengths that minimize any cutoffs.