Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Cavernrift (new map for e4m1)

So I made another map today. Kinda short, but challenging. I may write a story based on this map.

Story: You are a gold-miner on an expedition to find a new vein of gold. You have stumbled into what appears to be a building at the back of your mine. You have heard rumors of an ancient beast guarding a great hoard of treasure, and have grabbed your trusty shotgun to go in exploring. Here's what you know of the cavern so far:

The mountain pass entrance: Guarded only by grunts, should be easy to pass.

The main cavern: Gunners, and lesser demons guard this area. One area with a near cave-in threatened earlier expeditions into this area. As you pass this area, you are warned by the hanging bodies of earlier explorers and miners.

The secondary cavern: The second big room adjoined by a rough marble hall built by the monsters. Nothing real special here.

The Ritual Room: A pentagram carved into the cavern floor with the body of your one of your friends given as a sacrifice is the main attraction here. Nobody has gone further than this room as at this point, many die or run away in terror.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dci0clv1c3a1bg5/Cavernrift.wad

Enjoy!

EDIT: Please tell me what you like/don't like

A very fun ep4ish type map you got there doomhero.

The only minor thing I notice was that this ceiling is too low for those hanging corpses.

The switch doesn't work because the Imp's on the lowering sector stop it due to being stuck in the ceiling.

In Vanilla Doom, a lowering/raising sector needs enough room above it, for any monsters in it to move.

Yeah, I've made a couple here and there. I'm working on a doom 1 episode too. I made a level for that "Doom the way id did" project too, there's a new link for it there. Here's a link to a level that apparently not too many people liked. May have been too hard, take a stab at it: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16022

also this one: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15995 (has a kinda mean puzzle in it),

and the episode http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/53109-doomheros-demonic-inventions-need-testers/(only two levels done so far) will start working on it again soon.

DoomHero85 said:

oops. I should have mentioned this level is for Boom.

As far as I can see, you haven't used one Boom feature. Other than what I mentioned (which occurs at two points in the map), the map is Vanilla compatible. I actually played it in Doomsday 1.8.6.

Played this just now, enjoyed it for the most part. Here are some thoughts:

You've got some areas which, even for a vanilla-Doom styled map, seem underdetailed or bland. I'm thinking mostly here of the wood-textured areas, as well as the bigger cave before the first marble hallway section. After you get past the first marble hallway and into the pentagram room, you really start seeming to hit all the right notes with the designs. The pentagram area itself, the crushing hallway, and the end area were all perfect examples of classic Doomy visuals. One thing I would think about doing is unpegging the side textures in the crushers and/or strategically placing some border textures, because it looks kind of bad to have the exact same marble texture with some of it going up and down and some stationary, without any borders at all. But the design itself of the crusher/lift hallway is excellent.

There was one outright visual bug, it looked like: a missing wallabove texture where you enter the first cavern after passing the marble guard tower.

Gameplay-wise it felt nearly perfect. The 'trap' in the pentagram cavern, and the very end, struck me as especially so. For just a moment I wondered if this was the right way to use a cyberdemon, but then I decided that yes, yes it was. :)

Good map, a few bland-looking sections aside.

DoomHero85 said:

Yeah, I've made a couple here and there. I'm working on a doom 1 episode too. I made a level for that "Doom the way id did" project too, there's a new link for it there. Here's a link to a level that apparently not too many people liked. May have been too hard, take a stab at it: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16022

also this one: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15995 (has a kinda mean puzzle in it),

and the episode http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/53109-doomheros-demonic-inventions-need-testers/(only two levels done so far) will start working on it again soon.

Okay, since I'm veeeeeeeeeery new to this, and only figured out how to play custom maps (wad files) last night in ZDoom, I was wondering which episode I play to play these maps you've created in the post I quoted? I'm going to try and use E4M1 like your other map which I just played.

About that: I think it was a great level. I agree on the blandness on the rooms that use wood in them, especially the entrance area. Loved the crushers, I always think they are underused, or used to randomly throughout the Doom games. The only thing that would make it perfect is if it had a secret area or two to find. It is as good as E4M3 in my opinion, and better than E4M9 (woefully easy for a map in the fourth episode). Please post more.

EDIT:
I'm an idiot. They don't call those files readme's for no reason!

EDIT AGAIN:
The reason why people may not have liked the wad to "1000 Unheard Screams" you posted is because on medium difficulty alone, there are over 2500 monsters!!! There's overkill, and then there's overkill. I'm all for big maps, but I think people need to know their limit sometimes because it otherwise becomes very tedious to play. People don't want to have to spend over 2 hours on a single map.

Thank you for the kind words about this new one. I probably will do a small update for it and add more detail and a couple of secrets. I will probably update 1000 Unheard screams to be less ridiculous too. A few people enjoyed the insane difficulty, but I want everyone to have fun so I'll probably whip it out and fix it soon.

This map was quite enjoyable. Sure, it dosen't have a good deal of detail but I don't give a damn about detail so long as the gameplay is there, which it was. I played this in Skulltag and there were no compatibility problems.

My only issue were the gaps into the "monster closets" where you could just shoot a chaingun through and kill all of the monsters before they even get a chance to attack you when the wall drops. But that might just be how I play the game.

Ultraboy94 said:

This map was quite enjoyable. Sure, it dosen't have a good deal of detail but I don't give a damn about detail so long as the gameplay is there, which it was. I played this in Skulltag and there were no compatibility problems.

My only issue were the gaps into the "monster closets" where you could just shoot a chaingun through and kill all of the monsters before they even get a chance to attack you when the wall drops. But that might just be how I play the game.

I actually like that idea. A player basically has to ask themselves: "Do you want to shoot them now, or do you want to shoot them later?"

And in regards to 1000 unheard screams again, I have to say that I liked the new monsters you came up with. Especially the orange-coloured Archville, because it was the only thing that wasn't trying to be a boss monster. The ice-Cyberdemon was a bit full on, firing plasma balls or rockets in every direction at a time, but I liked seeing it blow up in an explosion of blue. I loved the Dark Cardinal though. However I think more than one of these at any one time equals death without god mode, so it would be nice to play one of these in a more appropriate map for it.

I was wondering/hoping if you could post the hit points for all of these new monsters that you came up with. I want to know how they compare to the original ones.

I didn't make the new monsters, I found them over at the skulltag forum or the Realm667 bestiary. I'll look for the actual link and post it so you can look at them more closely. Some of them I actually heavily edited so they weren't as hard. The flying cyber in particular had wayyy more hp to start.