Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audiodef

Effects of graphics on brain

st.alfonzo said:

While I certainly don't feel even the least bit queasy when playing computer games, my brother has the unimaginably irritating tendency to swerve out of the way of oncoming projectiles, or lean far back in his chair when back-peddling from an enemy. I have to make sure I clear the area of valuables before he sits down. It's a real safety hazard!

Haha, yeah, I don't get motion sick, but this definitely sounds like something I would do. But consider it a good thing, as it means you're feeling immersed within the game. Doom does this for me, probably from playing it for so long, feeling like a second reality sometimes. I also have a mild fear of heights, so if I'm in a game really high up somewhere on a ledge, I have a strange nervousness overcome me. The act of falling a huge distance also has that effect, especially if the game has falling damage.

I concur with some others here about Wolf3d. I cannot play that game without feeling nauseous in a few minutes.

The only modern game I've played that made me feel ill was TimeShift. Something about that game just didn't sit right, eck.

No other games have ever made me feel sick though. I play Doom at 35 FPS, mostly because that's just what I'm used to.
That might be why Resident Evil 4 on PC doesn't bug me, it's capped at 30 FPS, lame, but Doom is probably why that doesn't drive me insane.

Hellbent said:

your monitor is too big.

I play GZDOOM on at 1920x1080 on a 42" TV about 8 feet away from it lol

Funny that I get car sick as a passenger on long trips, but never when driving myself, an ironically enough while I'm playing games like Doom. I do find it odd that you would play the game and get motion sickness. That's like looking at gone off chicken and getting food poisening.

Here's one to try, go on Nightmare difficulty on tower of babel and take out the cyberdemon with your fists (with beserker pack) by just circling him and punching him.

I'll be honest THAT did make me a little dizzy of perception. Anyone who gets motion sickness trying it.... you were warned!

Haha, yeah, I don't get motion sick, but this definitely sounds like something I would do. But consider it a good thing, as it means you're feeling immersed within the game.

Hehe its funny you say that because I've always laughed at my mates as I grew up doing that and never did it myself, but on map 05 on PLutonia today I was in a coridoor looking on at mancubus with his fireballs flying at me and I sweved my head out of the way lol, awesome. :)

As a pretty long time ZDoom/Skulltag user,I tried to switch to ZDaemon.The same thing happened to me,the graphics made me feel a little bad.So yea.

Graf Zahl said:

If Doom's graphics give you headaches it may be a good idea to investigate which aspect is responsible.

So, what screen resolution do you use?
Software or hardware rendering engine?
Limited to 35 fps, vertical refresh rate or unlimited

I generally play 800x600 software in zdoom with otherwise default settings, although there have been times when I got a headache from playing 1024x768 and had to move it down to 640x480. Also playing in a window helped.

I haven't gotten this feeling in a while, probably because I haven't been playing extensive doom sessions lately

The only time that could count me being nausesous when playing Doom would be if I'm not using any filters in OpenGL (Trilinear, Linear, Bilinear...). The pixelation in OpenGL mode looks seriously bad and makes me kind of sick. The pixelation in Software mode doesn't make me sick.

st.alfonzo said:
my brother has the unimaginably irritating tendency to swerve out of the way of oncoming projectiles, or lean far back in his chair when back-peddling from an enemy.

Yeah, I used to do that when I was a kid and played console games. I might occasionally still do it when excited or surprised, but not much. I seem to recall recently ducking to an attack at one point :p

st.alfonzo said:

tendency to swerve out of the way of oncoming projectiles, or lean far back in his chair when back-peddling from an enemy.

Oh you should see the wife play it's too hilarious. She's all over the place in her chair, lookin' around corners and jumping out of her skin. I 'jump' sometimes when surprised but it's kinda rare. Means I'm immersed in the gameplay and atmosphere.

I used to feel ill years ago playing Doom if I played in a dark room. I think using only the keyboard had an effect, too.

You super-fluid, non-pixelated graphics-whores ain't seen shit until you tried playing this poor man's doom or any FPS on the Amiga, for that matter. The way the display worked was just fucking hostile to the kind of non-scrolling, not bit-blittable rendering used by 3D titles, and the genre never quite caught on that platform.

BTW, that "Fears" game really looks lika a poor man's Doom, down to the ripped/lookalike textures ;-)