Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraboy94

Duty Calls

LMAO this fills up the industy's cliches' ass with concrete ALL the way up!

Does not make sense to download it on the video shown to all that is in the "game".

When I played this I wondered who really put so much work into a parody until I realized it was just an advertisement. I don't get how they can go about saying "put the fun back in the gun" and show nothing but the guy grabbing stuff with electricity.

DuckReconMajor said:

When I played this I wondered who really put so much work into a parody until I realized it was just an advertisement. I don't get how they can go about saying "put the fun back in the gun" and show nothing but the guy grabbing stuff with electricity.

By having the guy grab enemies with electricity, throw them up into the air, riddle them with bullets, then fire a grenade up their ass, and then kicking them onto a giant fucking cactus

These are the same guys who made Painkiller, I really hope their level design improves - Painkiller's levels are every bit as linear as the FPSes they are parodying, even if the weapons and enemies are a bit more creative (particularly the weapons). Maybe they should hire John Romero or someone from the Doom mapping community known for maps with good gameplay.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/15751-bulletstorms-call-of-duty-parody-duty-calls-surpasses-1m-downloads/

1 million downloads in just two days. Give another week and I'm pretty sure more copies will be downloaded than copies of Black Ops were sold.

These are the same guys who made Painkiller, I really hope their level design improves - Painkiller's levels are every bit as linear as the FPSes they are parodying

No not really. With Pain Killer for the most part it was more like Agent Spork's simplicity where while the map followed a fairly linear path, it does so in a way that the player often goes through loops, passing through areas he had been through before or at the very least, progressing in a rather interesting fashion. In Call of Duty's case every level is pretty much just one long hallway.

For a game like Pain Killer which is all about balls to the wall action and fighting off hundreds of monsters at once, that's not a bad thing. For me, when I'm playing Pain Killer I want to get to the next fight and stick some fuckers to the wall with stakes, not wander around a maze for a while.

Spleen said:

Maybe they should hire John Romero or someone from the Doom mapping community known for maps with good gameplay.

Even if they do, they'll soon realize that good layout + fully 3D environments are just too fucking hard to do consistently.

I'm not exactly getting my hopes up for uber-awesome level design, but Painkiller was bloody fun as hell and I'm hoping Bulletstorm will be too. At least, it better, since I have the damn thing on preorder. :P

Sergant of the master sergants most important person of the extreme sergants TO THE MAX!

I need that on a T-Shirt.

It's almost bringing back the "Genesis does what Nintendon't" Ideas again, which is something I thought I'd never see return.

You just reminded me that I need to find myself another "Proud to be American!!!!" shirt. I love those things. They piss off my friends. :D

I love the smell of napalm parody in the morning <downloads> and this is probably as close as I'll get to playing Call of Duty.

This parody is great, but I also find it funny how they mock Call of Duty's gameplay when Bulletstorm contains the same features (sprint button, look down sights, regen health, linear levels). The Bulletstorm demo was entertaining with the ridiculous kills, but eventually it boiled down to run down corridor, grab enemy with whip, kick and finish-off with gun. I'm not sure whether to get the game, it's tempting.

Captain Toenail said:

This parody is great, but I also find it funny how they mock Call of Duty's gameplay when Bulletstorm contains the same features (sprint button, look down sights, regen health, linear levels). The Bulletstorm demo was entertaining with the ridiculous kills, but eventually it boiled down to run down corridor, grab enemy with whip, kick and finish-off with gun. I'm not sure whether to get the game, it's tempting.

There was an article a while ago that said the developers of this were allegedly poking fun at themselves as well with this game. Of course, it's possible they just said that so they wouldn't have to worry about Activision suing them though.

Shame the game is only four minutes long, though Im sure some enterprising soul will extend it.

it does so in a way that the player often goes through loops, passing through areas he had been through before

Ah, yes, that wonderful "school of design" that is essentially a justification for reusing the same assets. Make your player walk in circles, and he's so dumb he'll forget this is linear ; make up some crap about it adding to the atmosphere and immersion, and he'll actually praise you for getting to run in circles.

I find carousels to do a better and much more entertaining job at that task than first person shooters.

Why do I seem to be the only one who doesn't find this amazing, funny, or amazingly funny? Sure it's a parody, but it's also grating on my brain.

"Bad Jokewad" comes to mind for me...

Steeveeo said:

Why do I seem to be the only one who doesn't find this amazing, funny, or amazingly funny? Sure it's a parody, but it's also grating on my brain.

"Bad Jokewad" comes to mind for me...

It's funny because it's true.