Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyberbaron2

Most overrated and most underrated doom port?

I'd hope that the community would be able to post their opinions without being rude. I'm probably wrong though.

Anyways here's my picks:

Most underrated: Vavoom

This port is quite impressive and supports almost all the features that GZDoom has. It really deserves more respect than it gets. Edge is a close second.

Most overrated: Zdaemon

How a port based on an ancient version of Zdoom can have so many players is beyond me. Plus Skulltag supports just about everything it can do and more. I'm surprised that it has as many players as it does.

I don't know all that much about doom source ports so I can't really speak for the underrated ones, but I do know that Zdaemon is overrated as fuck.

What's with the vendetta against ZDaemon? Smells like troll to me.

Just because you don't approve of my post doesn't mean I'm trolling. Nothing wrong with not liking a specific port. I didn't post anything offensive about it.

Cyberbaron2 said:

Just because you don't approve of my post doesn't mean I'm trolling. Nothing wrong with not liking a specific port. I didn't post anything offensive about it.

Nah, I'm pretty sure you're only here to start shit.

Cyberbaron2 said:

Just because you don't approve of my post doesn't mean I'm trolling.

Your post serves no purpose other than making a division among people who are simply doing what they want. Don't like ZDaemon? Great, shut up and don't play it. Quit trying to convince people to give a shit about what you think.

Cyberbaron2 said:

I'm surprised that it has as many players as it does.

Please, continue to enlighten us with things you can do nothing about.

I think Legacy is underrated. I don't think any ports are overrated. Maybe ZDoom because people use it to the point of testing their Boom/vanilla wads with it and causing compat issues - but that isn't a gripe with the port itself.

Most underrated: Clearly EDGE
Most overrated: That's hard. In general a port's popularity is mostly proportional to its quality and they fill the niches they were designed for. In the end I'd go for ZDaemon though. It's based on an ancient version of ZDoom and retains countless bugs and problems that were present in these old ZDoom versions. In my book this is an engine that should not be used at all.

I think

Overrated - ZDoom ¤ fukken always light around player, poor support for decorate/script compared to GZDoom

Underrated - DOOM95 ¤ the effect that barrels can lock lowering floors single handedly beat many of the few I've tried out, and the sound cutting is just Awesome

uppgrading DOOM95 without removing its bugs would be majestic
perfect engine for puzzle wads.

there is a uppgrade for DOOM95 which enables mouse look
somewere.

Guys, please quit it. ZDoom isn't overrated, it's quite powerful and useful. You can do a hell of a stuff with it and it's a very well maintained port.

The port I (subjectively) found most overrated when I tried it was Doom Legacy. However, I'm only single-playing. Maybe it was meant for multiplayer. In any case, here's why. Note that I'm talking about the version by Boris and that other guy, not ever since it was taken over by other programmers.

- it had the audacity to call itself Doom3.wad and the text file was full of blurbs and noise, like the Deepsea documentation
- it couldn't even support Boom's editability completely. Lots of editing tricks looked hacky and iffy, such as the negative tag deep water only working in hardware mode and even there imperfectly.

I concur with EDGE being underrated, It was the pioneer for many advanced features, but Legacy managed to overshadow it for most of it's existence.

There's ports that aren't necessarily "underrated", just not as popular as one would want them to be.

As for overrated ports, hmmmm...I recall this "ZXDoom" crap that was advertised for a while but apparently never actually existed, so even calling it a port would be overrating it.

For underrated, I'd say cDoom, especially considering it's a DOS port. I recently played and reviewed a decently made map for it, and it felt like a super-vanilla port of sorts. Of course the author's attitude and some unresolved bugs have doomed it -pardon the pun- to obscurity. It would be cool if other ports supported at least its extended RoR map format -not really hard to do, given that the SC is out there (for now).

Most overrated...dunno. Perhaps Doom for Android: a prboom-derived binary blob with little or no documentation and support with little practical value.

Look, buds, ZDoom is overrated because it's famous. Almost "global". It's like... English language which is spoken worldwide.

The most overrated: Doom95. I'm surprised how frequently people ask for help using it when there are other ports superior in every way.

The most underrated: Do obviously unfinished ports count?
I think RORdoom deserved more attention. The room-over-room-ability (ie. overlapping sectors) would have been a very useful addition to 3d floors and stacked sector portals. For about a million useful examples, examine Dark Forces or Duke Nukem 3D maps, which use this technique a lot. Of course, the way it was left makes mapping a pain. Too bad, there was no source code released.

Most overrated - Boom. It fixes tons of bugs from Doom, but then turns around to introduce tons more new bugs and weird barely documented if at all quirks ; worse than that it became a standard, and advanced ports went far beyond Boom, there's no easy happy in between i.e. a hypothetical "bugfixed" and userfriendly Boom.

Most underrated - Doomsday. It gets a lot of bad press, and honestly I don't use it anymore, but "you can play the good old Doom levels with fancy looking graphics" is a much bigger draw than "you can use ACS, 3D floors, portals and custom monsters" for a casual doomer looking to get back into the game.

Edit : changed my mind about most overrated port.

Phml said:

Most overrated - Boom. .... worse than that it became a standard

It's a standard because it's dead. If ZDoom/GZDoom development stops tomorrow, in a few years some ports will have most of its features. But while ZDoom's alive, no one would try, because who wants a bad and incomplete copy of ZDoom?

If ZDoom development stopped tomorrow, we'd have a relatively stable and userfriendly engine, mostly documented, with few bugs. I wish the same could be said for Boom.

Maes said:

For underrated, I'd say cDoom, especially considering it's a DOS port. I recently played and reviewed a decently made map for it, and it felt like a super-vanilla port of sorts. Of course the author's attitude and some unresolved bugs have doomed it -pardon the pun- to obscurity. It would be cool if other ports supported at least its extended RoR map format -not really hard to do, given that the SC is out there (for now).

Is CDoom GNU? Maybe someone could fork and develop from where Carlos left off.

I don't think there are any overrated ports, really. Odamex is pretty underrated though. It's amazing how even badly-made wads can be great fun under classic settings, at least when you're playing with the right people. Yet usually it's the same six or seven people that are regular players.

Overrated - ZDoom ¤ fukken always light around player...

I've always wondered about this, actually. It seems to me that ZDoom's depth fog behaves differently. Going up to a wall in ZDoom, for example, will make the the light jump all the way to max, even under dark lighting. In Vanilla, the lighting seems to hit some kind of limit depending on the lighting.

Hmmmm.

I've not played all ports, and I'm no expert.

But in my experience so far, personally I think Skulltag is most overrated. But, that might be because of the community more than the engine itself. It probably is that actually, they give Skulltag a bad name IMO.

Underated. Um, maybe Odamex. Or perhaps Prboom+

In a port I'm looking for things to be fairly close to the original, which is going to effect what I feel are the best ports compared to most who seem to want all the advanced features that can be crammed into an engine.

But that's just MY OPINION. Doesn't really effect anyone else, and it isn't going to change anything.

D_GARG said:

Overrated - ZDoom ¤ fukken always light around player, poor support for decorate/script compared to GZDoom

1. It's not a very bad mistake from the ZDoom team to enforce full light near the player, and it's also not only ZDoom's doing -- PrBoom as well. Anyway, it's not so unrealistic. There has to be a way to detect nearby walls IRL, by touching them. Since the computer can't give you tactile feedback, it gives you visual feedback, that you're touching a wall.

2. Please back up your argument that ZDoom has poor DECORATE/ACS support compared to GZDoom. They're supposed to be the same engines in behavior, but different in graphics, which has nothing to do with scripting.

printz said:

Is CDoom GNU? Maybe someone could fork and develop from where Carlos left off.

Yes it is, although the publicly released source code is totally uncommented -there aren't even the standard Doom & Boom comments left in it, making it pretty hard to navigate. However it's fairly easy to see how the RoR extensions are handled -essentially a few new sector linedef actions, a stacked "sector list" added to each sector, and some extra drawing code placed after sprites and masked drawing.

Seems pretty similar to how RoR must have handled it, and I discovered it's not even necessary to use cDoomEdit to use this feature if you know the correct tags to use.

The only comment is a "released under the GPL" statement at the beginning of every source file, without even the short GPL license text.

For underrated, I'd say EDGE and Doomsday.

Overrated, I'll go with Boom and ZDaemon.