Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D_GARG

TEXTURE LUMP trouble using XWE

this is a nasty one.. using XWE
already have a TEXTURE1 lump, want to add more textures, but instead of getting proper textures i get patches...

so I imported another TEXTURE1 lump containing the desired texture info, but then the patches didnt even build the texture, in fact it even threw in the wrong patches.

I try to throw in 3 different texturepacks

what to do? :(

The TEXTUREx lump references the graphics used for each texture by numerical position from the PNAMES lump.

Doom can also only read one lump with the same name (it's likely that all the texture wads add to the TEXTURE1 lump).

As such, if you wish to combine multiple texture packs, you will probably find that the patches in each share the same numerical position.

Hence you will have to edit the lumps manually. Some effort can be saved by using XWE's auto build PNAMES lump.

ok I suceded to insert those graphics and use the lumps to make the textures, most of them do appear ingame.

still, there's futher problems:

GZDoom says:
in texture N_BKBR02
Texture N_BKBR02 is left without any patches
Unknown patch N_BKBR03 in texture N_BKBR03
Texture N_BKBR03 is left without any patches
Unknown patch N_BKBR04 in texture N_BKBR04
Texture N_BKBR04 is left without any patches
Unknown patch N_BKBR05 in texture N_BKBR05
Texture N_BKBR05 is left without any patches
Unknown patch N_BKBR06 in texture N_BKBR06
Texture N_BKBR06 is left without any patches
Unknown patch N_BKBR07 in texture N_BKBR07

but fuckloads more of the same thing

what to do?

How exactly are you inserting graphics? In XWE the easiest way to add textures is by clicking on the <Patches> button (which filters out all but the patches) before loading your new graphics, XWE will then automatically add them to the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps. Doesn't help if your working with multi-patch textures, you'll have to reassemble those yourself by editing the TEXTURE* lump.

Which texture packs are you borrowing from?

GreyGhost said:

How exactly are you inserting graphics? In XWE the easiest way to add textures is by clicking on the <Patches> button (which filters out all but the patches) before loading your new graphics, XWE will then automatically add them to the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps. Doesn't help if your working with multi-patch textures, you'll have to reassemble those yourself by editing the TEXTURE* lump.

Which texture packs are you borrowing from?

I inserted them by different tecniques, first I saved wad content to a map which I loaded to destinatoin wadfile, but one of the texture wads didnt give correct imiges (black squares instead) so then I started merging wad files.

the texture wads are from realm667:

DOOM Texture For DOOM II
Recolored Doom Texture Pack
Useful Doom Edits Texture Pack

if u wanna see it all for yourself, here's link
http://musho.org/gargwads/

wad name: Realms Of Hate Fakked texts
run with latest version of GZDoom

Black squares and incorrect images usually means the PNAMES and TEXTURE* lumps are out-of-sync.

I can't find a TEXTURE1 lump in that wad, while that's not the end of the world for GZDoom you won't be able to use textures that are assembled from two or more patches, and there's a fair few of those in both D1GFXD2.WAD (which incidentally has a buggy texture lump) and NB_RECOL.WAD. Animations are also an issue but you can get around that with an ANIMDEFS lump.

I guess the best is just to rebuild the entire WAD copying DECORATE sprites maps and so on, and then merge everything in order, skipping D1GFXD2.wad since there's little use of it.

NB_RECOL.wad can use textures made by several patches, noticed that before it all wrecked hippster, I suspect that its not a good idea using patches as textures. how ever the 64textures are just patches not added to texture.

I'd use NB_RECOL.WAD as the base texture resource, apart from an impressive range of textures and re-colours it appears to contain most of D1GFXD2.WAD, most anything else you need can be added to it using right mouse button - add to texture.

I actually had the same problem, I found it difficult to import D1GFXD2 to my iwad.

I found a way around this. I simply merged my wad with no textures into this wad. By default my textures were that of D1GFXD2 (ironically my wad is still called that lol).

Adding other textures was easy. I added TNT's and Plutonias by extracting them, importing them all and then patching them all. No problems easy as pie.

The only tricky part I have now is making animated textures (waterfall) and switches change and animate when they are put in a map (they stay unanimated lol).

During my wad merging which I do a lot I always make stages of backup (backing up after one texture is put in succesfully).

PS. Any wad I get that has more than 1 Texture file I extract all and re-import them into one texture lump.

HOWEVER I have a problem with that, I can only have so many textures in a texture file, thus limiting me as I am not aware how to link PNAMES numbers to TEXTURE numbers. Thus creating that stupid overlapping texture patch crap :3

try importing the correct PNAMES cus they list patches by number order

so, before patching more files you already have one PNAMES with the correct numberical order

if that fails try rebuilding the entire wad (saving MAPS, DECORATE and so on just removing TEXTURE1 and PATCHES)

if you want more TEXTURE files to have more cool textures I THINK you also can use a TEXTURE2 file or maybe even a TEXTURE3, dont know if that works tough :/