Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

ChocoDoom hi-res visplane

esselfortayum said in another thread
A true 640x400 mode is included, as "high quality," with the original high and low quality 320x200 settings listed as medium and low. The 128 visplane limit isn't increased to account for the possibility of more being drawn due to the higher resolution, though; I never ran into problems with it, but I'm sure it's possible.

I didn't want to derail the other thread with this question, but if this really happens, how does Chocolate Doom render HD resolutions?

You could have posted this in the Chocolate-Doom thread, or simply looked it up yourself, or tried it out, but here's how it works.

It just takes the 320x200 screen and expands it. It doesn't make anything less pixelated, since it's supposed to just emulate the original DOS executable. In short, there are no HD resolutions. Just the same low-res one strecthed in different sizes on your screen.

As for the claim... I'm not really sure if it's even possible for the screen resolution to affect the number of visplanes on screen. I don't see why it could have an effect, at least.

Wagi said:

As for the claim... I'm not really sure if it's even possible for the screen resolution to affect the number of visplanes on screen. I don't see why it could have an effect, at least.

More pixels onscreen means more visplanes in the distance, or at a close angle, or just otherwise really small visplanes, can potentially be rendered. In many cases there won't be a notable difference, but an extra visplane or two can be all it takes if a scene is already on the edge.

There's some contraddiction here: either it actually renders at a higher resolution internally, or it doesn't. In the latter case there can be no visplane overflow because the display is still treated as 320x200 internally, and what you see is just post-processing. What wouldn't be seen in 320x200 won't be seen in this "hi-res" mode, either.

BTW, the way the Doom engine works, I think it allocates drawsegs and visplanes way before checking actual drawability visibility, even if it turns out to be a zero length blit afterwards. The differences in visibility-based clipping can also only be in the range of a few screen units, and you really need a pathologically built map, full of many thin and differently textured floors vanishing into the distance and viewed through windows of weird shapes to trigger a resolution-induced VPO.

Maes said:

I think it allocates drawsegs and visplanes way before checking actual drawability visibility,

Even if it does, the main issue here is how much is blocked by one sided or closed lines. This is calculated in screen pixels so with a higher resolution it can easily happen that more is visible at corners and more geometry gets processed. So yes, a map that's close to a VPO with 320x200 will most likely cause problems if due to the higher screen resolution the clipping info is more precise.