Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Updated Strife Config

Here is an updated Strife configuration for Doom Builder 2, based on the results of the Chocolate Strife reverse engineering project. This includes numerous corrections, additions, and clarifications over the stock Strife config, which seems to be derived from a much earlier editor without any questions asked.

http://eternity.mancubus.net/stuff/strife.cfg

Cool! This will come in handy once I decided to reattempt to make an actual Strife map when I feel motivated to do one.

kristus said:

No sprites in thing info, makes it hard to know what the different things are.

They weren't there originally, and adding them would take forever. It would be a welcome addition, however.

Not quite forever but started to feel like it after a while. I've just finished updating the Configurations/includes config files from your new strife.cfg (hopefully haven't missed anything critical) and adding sprites to keep kristus happy. There's a few things I couldn't find or settle on substitutes for - Teleport Map Spots, Zombie Spawner, Force Field Guard and Automap Spots - any suggestions?

The files should also work in ZDoom (Strife in Hexen format) though I haven't yet tested that configuration. Here they are - let me know if there are any bugs.

EDIT - Updated and re-uploaded config files.

GreyGhost said:

Not quite forever but started to feel like it after a while. I've just finished updating the Configurations/includes config files from your new strife.cfg (hopefully haven't missed anything critical) and adding sprites to keep kristus happy. There's a few things I couldn't find or settle on substitutes for - Teleport Map Spots, Zombie Spawner, Force Field Guard and Automap Spots - any suggestions?

A teleport fog sprite might work for the first couple. FFG and Automap spots you will never ever see, because the first is an invisible and nearly inert object which only exists to turn off forcefield lines if it's damaged by a Degnin Ore explosion (super-hack in P_DamageMobj). The latter don't even exist at all and are only read into a special array at startup. They were *meant* to appear on the automap, and there is some left-over code in the am_map module that would have made it work, but they took them out for some reason. Even the 1.0 demo version doesn't have them functional :/

GreyGhost said:

I've just finished updating the Configurations/includes config files from your new strife.cfg (hopefully haven't missed anything critical) and adding sprites to keep kristus happy.

Great job, I probably would have done it myself if I had had been working on Strife maps right now. Maybe in the future.

EDIT: GreyGhost. you forgot to include your strife.cfg, since you've broken it up into separate files like with the other.

I only included files I'd changed and DB2's strife.cfg wasn't one of them. I've included it in the re-upload just in case.

Quasar said:

A teleport fog sprite might work for the first couple.

Done.

Now this is good stuff, it uses the existing include files and has pretty much the same naming convention (use of uppercase/lowercase and how names are written) as the existing configs. I'll have to include this with DB2 if you allow me to.

Though, the chance of seeing a new official DB2 release any time soon is as small as 1/9723337171 :P

CodeImp said:

I'll have to include this with DB2 if you allow me to.

Be my guest, I'll post an update on the Development forum once any lingering bugs have been dealt with. A quick browse there reminded me that I'd already sprited Strife.cfg though I couldn't locate a copy on my hard drive - also explains the flashes of déjà vu I was experiencing yesterday.

GreyGhost said:

I only included files I'd changed and DB2's strife.cfg wasn't one of them. I've included it in the re-upload just in case.

I expected you to base it off of Quasar's strife.cfg which didn't include includes. Did you append his changes? Anyway, when I first downloaded his cfg I just overwrote the old since I couldn't imagine a scenario where I would ever need it again.

Yes, they're based on Quasar's strife.cfg. I started with a single config file but soon discovered I'd need the include files for ZDoom (Strife in Hexen format) - so I switched to Plan B and updated them instead.

Quasar said:

and clarifications over the stock Strife config, which seems to be derived from a much earlier editor without any questions asked.

(REGARDING THINGS) Was that earlier config discovered and built by Gokuma? In any case, it looked similar to the SeHackEd thing names.